best picnic foods

Options
Hey all I'm planning a picnic and need ideas of good food to buy for it, what's your favourite things to pack in your baskets? (No obligations to be healthy choices haha it'll be my birthday so needless to say it'll be a treat day:laugh: )

Replies

• deearess
    deearess Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I love to cut up watermelon in cubes and put it in a container in the fridge overnight so it's good and cold. Then, pack it in the cooler and take along.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Fruit, salads, veggie trays, cookies, cakes, chips, really anything snacky. I prefer to nibble on all the things when picnic-ing but I suppose you could also make a sandwich or meal and bring too if thats more up your alley :D, have fun!
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    MEAT.... ANY, AND EVERY KIND!
  • framingsammie
    framingsammie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Cupcakes, cookies, strawberries (could even have them chocolate covered, oOoOo), raspberries, peanut butter which can be used to dip apples, celery, crackers in... Maybe some sandwiches? I'm not sure what else haha.
  • chloeealicee
    chloeealicee Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Watermelon cubes are garunteed and oh my god how did I not think of peanut butter?! Thank you so much, gonna be dipping everything:')
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Fried chicken and watermelon!
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I picnic ever week at the beach, so we try to keep a balance of yummy and healthy. We usually have wraps, fresh cubed pineapple with raspberries, cucumber and avocado salad, guacamole and fritos, and hard cider. For my birthday, I added a chocolate ganache cupcake to the mix!
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I picnic ever week at the beach, so we try to keep a balance of yummy and healthy. We usually have wraps, fresh cubed pineapple with raspberries, cucumber and avocado salad, guacamole and fritos, and hard cider. For my birthday, I added a chocolate ganache cupcake to the mix!

Well, look at you Miss Fancy. :P

Just kidding... That all sounds good. :)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

I agree. YUM!!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Fried chicken

Pasta Salad

Fruit and Fancy Cheeses

Brownies

Wine!
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options

I agree. YUM!!

It's true! I'm a high maintenance eater! I will not settle for less!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Baguettes, cheese, wine
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Fried chicken

Pasta Salad

Fruit and Fancy Cheeses

Brownies

Wine!

This - almost exactly. Maybe some hummus and pita chips as well.

The good thing about the fried chicken is it tastes good cold!
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Sammiches. Big assed hero sandwiches. Salami, ham, cheese, lettuce, tomato, oil, vinegar, oregano, mustard on the side, all piled on a long semolina loaf.

And a container of brined olives.

And beer.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Baguettes, cheese, wine

Another stellar answer from Acg. Brie or Camembert?
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Fruit, cheese, meat, bread, wine. :)
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,699 Member
    Options
    Baguettes, cheese, wine

and charcuterie.
  • Kakibot
    Kakibot Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Nice fruit salad with some jello cubes thrown in! It's yummy.

Calories aside, taking a sheet of puff pastry and rolling cheese and spinach or whatever you fancy into it, cutting it into mini 'cinnamon roll-like' bits and baking those into tiny little perfections. Alternatively, without having to bake, just do the same(ish) with a tortilla wrap!

Veggie sticks with a nice yoghurt/sour cream/blue cheese dip.

Smoked salmon on everything (personally I love it on blini with cream cheese and dill but that all stands and falls with whether your local store stocks some blini, although you could be adventurous and make some yourself. Probably like making tiny pancakes .D )
  • snapdragon1231
    snapdragon1231 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Try squeezing lime juice on the watermelon I love that combo. I love jicama with lime salt and chile pepper too. The best answer here though is the baguette, cheese and wine so yummy!
  • patfriendly
    patfriendly Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    If you can grill at the picnic take some marinated chicken breasts, corn, veggies. Otherwise take some sandwiches, tortilla chips, salsa, avocado, fruits, cheese, beer, wine