Citalopram/Celexa DOES make you fat!

Options

Replies

• rj12380
    rj12380 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    @daybehaviour I joined this purely to reply to you because I disagree hugely with your points and think what you are suggesting is offensive to people who have been affected by SSRIs and weight gain. I was prescribed them for depression but I also struggle with OCD and the remnants of an eating disorder. For me this means I keep a complete log of my calorie intake and I workout routinely at a minimum of twice a week. I have been doing this for 5 years and during the 4 preceding citalopram my weight has stayed exactly the same (excluding water fluctuations at time of the month). NOTHING in my dietary or exercise routine changed during my medication time. I kept the same log as I always had done. My weight was constant for the first six months, after this I gained on average 2-3lbs a week. I have gained a total of 14 lbs since. As soon as I realised it could be the citalopram I weened myself off it. Since not taking any for a few weeks my weight has remained stable. Again nothing in my excercise or diet has changed. While it's still true that energy in < energy out to lose weight, I believe that citalopram effects the 'energy out' rather than 'energy in'. I agree to a small extent that people can blame SSRIs for lazy habits but there IS a strong body of evidence that they cause weight gain and this is not due to changes in diet/excercise. I have been reading the literature and it is hard to ignore this. It is people like you who are hurtful to people like me who have genuinely gained weight beyond our control because of an SSRI. Yes not everyone will, but I find it hard to believe that my gain was caused by anything else.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Well, I gained weight on celexa -- thank goodness. My hideous bout of major depression had killed my appetite and I wound up a scrawny mess. I gained weight on celexa because I could think clearly and actually swallow food again. But I didn't gain beyond a healthy weight. That happened later when I started snacking and eating bigger portions and got lax with my workouts.

I'm still on a small dose (10mg daily) because once I started celexa, my headaches stopped. 10 mg is the smallest dose that still keeps the headaches away. No unexplained weight issues on my 10 mg.

Perhaps try to find the smallest dose that helps with your depression/anxiety and see if your weight benefits.
  • sarahmom2
    sarahmom2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I know this is an older post, but daybehavior has outraged me. I was on MFP for over a year and lost a good amount of weight, was halfway to my goal weight, and was feeling awesome. Due to issues with hormones and my moods I was put on celexa last May 2013 and began gaining weight. I continued to track, to exercise, accounted for every calorie, and the weight wouldn't budge. I ended up gaining back half of what I had lost. My doctor told me it had something to do with the medicine, my doctor said that everyone reacts differently, and the affects of drugs like celexa on the brain can cause issues with metabolic tendencies. I don't need someone like you @daybehavior to tell me I'm an idiot and obviously not doing something right. Just like all drugs, some will gain, some will loose, but you will always be an idiot.
  • amr122393
    amr122393 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have been taking Lexapro for the past few months because of anxiety/panic attacks. I gained about 15 pounds when I started having anxiety because I would stress eat. Once I was put on Lexapro, started exercising and eating healthily, I lost about 5 pounds. However, my pharmacy tried to switch me to Celexa because it was cheaper with my insurance. After taking it for a few weeks I felt HORRIBLE. No energy, always felt dizzy & nausesous, and plateaued in my weight loss. I just switched back to Lexapro and now I feel much much better and I am back on the weight loss path. To anyone struggling with Celexa I really recommend trying Lexapro!! They are very similar, but different enough that you might find more success! Hugs to my fellow anxiety/depression sufferers. :heart:
  • swertyqwerty
    swertyqwerty Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. Celexa gave me really bad carb cravings and if I didn't eat carbs I felt nauseous. It really helped my depression though so it was worth it at the time.
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I know this is an older post, but daybehavior has outraged me. I was on MFP for over a year and lost a good amount of weight, was halfway to my goal weight, and was feeling awesome. Due to issues with hormones and my moods I was put on celexa last May 2013 and began gaining weight. I continued to track, to exercise, accounted for every calorie, and the weight wouldn't budge. I ended up gaining back half of what I had lost. My doctor told me it had something to do with the medicine, my doctor said that everyone reacts differently, and the affects of drugs like celexa on the brain can cause issues with metabolic tendencies. I don't need someone like you @daybehavior to tell me I'm an idiot and obviously not doing something right. Just like all drugs, some will gain, some will loose, but you will always be an idiot.
    I don't remember calling anyone an idiot but if you feel like one for not understanding basic high school physics, then so be it. Perhaps if you focused your rage on something more productive, you'd be a lot less bitter.
    I continued to track, to exercise, accounted for every calorie, and the weight wouldn't budge
    I get it. You're a special snowflake -- a medical anomaly. You gain weight without being in a calorie surplus. You should schedule an interview with your local media outlets. The world should know about this.
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    That *kitten*!
  • munky_do
    munky_do Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This is my own personal experience and it seems like everyone is different. I take 20 mg per day.

I had been very slowly gaining weight over 3 years in my late 20s, about 20 lbs, before going on Citalopram. Before that, I hadn't been taking any antidepressant medication.

After going on Citalopram, I put on another 20 lbs but I don't know yet if I can attribute any of it to the Citalopram.

I started having more motivation to do stuff as the depression lifted, but that included baking, and I could eat an entire batch of 24 cupcakes in two days easily, or an entire loaf of banana bread in an afternoon.

I've always had a thing for sweets though... but when I had been depressed, I didn't eat well but I didn't eat all that much either. Now I had a really healthy appetite ...

I recently found out just how much I weigh... I was really in denial.. I am hoping that the Citalopram doesn't make it impossible to take the weight off.

I'm hopeful because even though I did experience the huge drop in libido for about 6 months, where it was almost impossible to climax, my libido has almost returned to my pre-Citalopram levels. I haven't changed my dosage.

I also take Dexedrine for ADHD, so that could help.

It seems like a deal with the devil... either be slim and miserable or fat and happy... I hope this isn't the case. I went on Effexor before and that was terrible.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    What about Celexa makes someone gain weight, is it loaded with calories?

I have been gaining since starting celexa, I've also been over my calorie limit by approx 400 calories each day. Coincidence?
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I've been on Citalopram since I started my diet (timed them together) and I've lost 50lbs in almost four months.
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    www.cchr.org
    Get informed about what you are doing to your body and soul by taking psychotropic ****!

Looks like they're selling something.

Deported.
  • Hungry_Annie
    Hungry_Annie Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I have been on Citalopram for about 9 months now and my weight has slowly crept up. I am about 20 pounds heavier than I was a year ago, and I am very active. I asked my doctor about it in May, and she said that the meds can definitely cause some weight gain. I am debating weaning off them, or asking for a different kind. It sucks because they help, but if that is what is causing the weight, I refuse to get fatter and fatter.
    I do take responsibility for some of my weight, but it just doesn't make sense why I cant lose anything.
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    What about the pill itself causes weight gain? I'm just curious.

I have gained weight as well but I am chalking it up to my lack of weighing/measuring my food, plus over eating.
  • kitticus15
    kitticus15 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    weight gain is listed as a side effect of ssris now, it is known in the medical field that they affect thyroid function and slowing metabolism down, Lustral has a thyroid warning, stating thyroid testing should be done on long term users. Anything over 6 months is classed as long term use.

For those people who have to say " you're a special snowflake" try walking a step in other people's shoes before handing insults like those out. Calling people that when they have taken meds that are proven to cause weight gain is not only insensitive but also shows how little you really know.

Life is not always black and white, sometimes there are problems caused by meds, telling someone ssris do not cause weight gain is like telling a chemo patient that hair loss is not a side effect...
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    For those people who have to say " you're a special snowflake" try walking a step in other people's shoes before handing insults like those out. Calling people that when they have taken meds that are proven to cause weight gain is not only insensitive but also shows how little you really know.

You're missing the context of the whole argument. People are saying that they are gaining weight while apparently being on a caloric deficit, which is impossible. They only reason I was being "rude" was because I was sick of everyone jumping on me for reiterating what was already said (in ruder terms) by several other posters yet I was the one being singled out for pointing out this physical impossibility.

For the record, I was on Citalopram for six months and I managed to lose 40 pounds all the while battling some horrible things going on in my life, so don't tell I need to "walk in their shoes". If SSRI's had the magical property of making you gain weight while eating at a deficit, people wouldn't be dying of starvation all over the world.
  • munky_do
    munky_do Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I honestly think based on the huge variety of experiences is that, clearly, everyone will react differently and if you think it's causing you to gain weight, you need to honestly look at your eating and exercise habits, maybe go on one of those eating plans for a bit where you cut out all meat/dairy/complex carbs and see what happens.

I do think that there is a temptation to blame the weight gain purely on the medication... I was guilty as charged...
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I gained 25 lbs the first two years on Zoloft/ Trazadone, but I AM eating more, no doubt. I am also feeling great and exercising more though.

I don't think about the meds too much though, because I still believe in CICO. Does it make it a little harder- maybe? But having kids makes it harder, working full time makes it harder, being married or single can make it harder. There are a LOT of barriers to weight loss, but none of them insurmountable if you're completely committed to clearing the hurdle.

I take Zoloft in the morning, but the whammy for me is when I take the Trazadone at night for sleep. When it kicks in I become the most ravenous animal. After a full day of eating well/ healthy over all, I engage in a 700 (or more) calorie binge, preferably on unrefined carbs. I have stopped the chips/ cookies since re-starting here this week, and have replaced it with tuna/ baked chicken/ triscuits with low-fat cheese etc, but I haven't eliminated the 700 calorie binge yet. I think it's a bad habit I've developed but it's also something related to the meds, and probably the underlying imbalance as well. Right now (the next week or two) I'm just getting the habit down of logging, eating better foods and looking at my patterns.

I don't have the science but I believe SSRI's slow down certain body systems. Perhaps, it's the fact that they allow more Seratonin (relaxing, balancing) to remain in the brain, in comparison to other neurotransmitters like dopamine and neuroephendrine (sp?) which are more stimulating (i.e. the reduction in libido as well). I imagine it may be similar to how we weigh and watch children on stimulants for ADHD because it can decrease appetite and induce weight loss. I believe SSRI's can have the opposite effect.

I tried Wellbutrin for ONE day. I felt better, my appetite for food was down and for sex was up, lol. My husband was happy until the crazy, anxious, angry, insomniac wife showed up and he was like- Get back on the Zoloft/ Trazadone! You can just be fat and frigid (I'm JUST KIDDING!!) I'm neither and if I was, we've been married 17 years- he'd know better than to say it!

So, here's to slimming down on SSRI's!!
  • ryanrieb
    ryanrieb Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Before I started taking citalopram I had lost about 40lbs and kept it off for almost 1 year. I started taking it and CHANGED NOTHING with regards to my eating habits and gained about 30lbs back over 3 months. The withdrawal from the medication was the worst thing i ever experienced.....
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    The thing is, all of our bodies work differently. We have different genetic makeup, metabolism, etc.

We're not all that different. Humans are 99.9% percent genetically similar. Your metabolism doesn't stop or slow down to the point where weight loss becomes exceedingly difficult just because you're on anti-depressants. Calories in / calories out still applies. Celexa doesn't help you defy physics and make you magically gain weight.
    the problem is that when i have started eating better, i'm still gaining weight.

You could have been "eating better" but you were still consuming more calories than you expended.
    People really just need to stop trying to blame their doctor for their fatness and start owning responsibility and changing something.

This.

You are incorrect. My father is a noted psychiatrist, dual board certified in internal medicine. He specializes in psychopharmacology and has an additional certificate on that subject. He also teaches courses on psychopharmacology to medical students. He says that ADs affect people differently depending on a whole host of various chemical and genetic characteristics and interactions. That is why most antidepressants include both insomnia and somnolence in the list of possible side effects, ditto for weight gain/loss. Some people, for example, metabolize drugs at different rates than other people do. This is well documented fact.

Also, most studies are fairly short term. Weight gain sometimes doesn't start to kick in until several months have passed.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I took it a few years back and I'm not going to blame it for making me fat, but I will blame it for making me LAZY.

Each person is different though.

I weaned myself off of it and just use Kava Kava from time to time.