Overcoming binge eating

Options
My weight has fluctuated for over 2 years. I have never been considered small but my freshman year of high school I went through a nasty break up which causes me to lose a lot of weight and I really loved the way I looked when I lost it. I finally met someone new who I have been with for over 2 years now but since that I have put on a drastic 30 pounds that I can't seem to shake. When I first start noticing my weight gain I started to purge a lot but that made me more hungry so I began to binge and purge and repeat. It was and still is a constant struggle and after I lost my dad last year it got even worse and I resort to food for comfort. I stepped on the scale this morning and saw that I was at the heaviest I've ever been. It hit me really hard and I realized that this time, despite all the efforts to change, that I really needed to. My health is terrible and I have never been open about my eating disorder because it's so embarrassing that someone would eat such a disgusting amount of food, but I think that I need to be open in order to change and grow from this disease.

Replies

• Matthebrute
    Options
    Welcome..I havent been on here long but the community seems really helpfull. I am also really unhealthy and trying to change that..good luck!!

Ps. nice to see another mainah round here
  • disgettingfit
    Options
    Hi! I'm so sorry to hear about all of that. Luckily it won't be hard to find anyone like you in this! I just made a post about binge eating last week, and a lot of (ex)'bingers' responded to it, so you might want to check it out! :)

It's here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1362139-are-you-a-binger
  • onesongaboutagirl
    onesongaboutagirl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your father. Grieving is such a personal thing, and everyone tries to cope with it in different ways, so I guess with a history of bingeing and purging, it's not exactly surprising you have looked to food for comfort.

I too suffer from an eating disorder - I was diagnosed in 2012 with EDNOS, and although I've gone through long periods where I have not binged/purged, recently I have been falling into the habit again. I think it's due to stress, because I've had a lot of things going on which, while pleasant, were also placing a strain on me. All I can say, for both of our sakes, is that trying to go it alone will probably not work. I have often reassured myself that it's only temporary, but the only times I've managed any long-term recovery have been when I sought professional help, or at least spoken in depth to someone who could monitor me and keep me accountable to myself in a non-aggressive, accepting way.

My purging behaviour has led to a number of health problems which I would really like to help you avoid (if you don't already have them, considering how long you've been dealing with this). I suffer from extraordinary levels of acid reflux, as well as a myriad of recurrent throat and digestive issues. You have taken the first step by speaking up on here, and I'm sure you'll find (as I have in the past) that this community will be very supportive.

I really hope you will find a way to overcome or at the very least get your maladaptive behaviours under control. Maybe we could help each other to do this? If you want to try to do this together, just shoot me a message :)

All the best!
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I just finished an intensive outpatient program for binge eating and continue to see a therapist. It's hard work, emotionally and mentally, but it was the best decision I've ever made for myself. I have been binge free for 6 weeks - the longest in 4 years.

If you ever need any support, feel free to reach out :)
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    I'd try to get professional help.
  • JRich8389
    JRich8389 Posts: 9
    Options
    I would tend to agree with DYELB. There is no shame going to a professional to help overcome your struggles, as a veteran of foreign wars I am a huge supporter of them, they truly save lives.
  • ashgirl95
    ashgirl95 Posts: 48
    Options
    I also agree that you should seek professional help. Although that doesn't mean you can't come here for support as well. With the right people, MFP is a very supporting community. Find people with similar goals, whether it be recovery or weight loss or both, and you'll always have people to turn to.

Your body is the only one you'll get, so be kind to it.
  • chrs86
    chrs86 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Throw away or donate everything in your house that isn't healthy (including drinks). Go to the grocer and buy fruits, veggies, fat free dairy (cottage cheese, yogurt, milk,ice cream,) and lean meats (chicken, fish, shrimp, thin cut boneless pork). Only buy what you need for a few days or a week max. It would help if you make a daily meal plan for those days so you have just enough food for those meals and snacks. Not an expert but that's what I'd do in your situation. Good luck.
  • Janautical
    Janautical Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hey there. I hope you're having a good day.

I suffer from emotional binge eating as a coping mechanism for depression and PTSD, so I know where you are coming from. I would tell you that the most important thing for you to do right now is to get help, from therapy or counseling. If you don't address the underlying issues, you won't be able to build the healthy habits that you want and need.

Secondly, I have found that actively tracking my food helps a LOT with binge eating. If you measure everything out and then put up the food before you take your plate, then you aren't tempted to grab another spoonful or keep eating from the bag. If the temptation isn't there, then you aren't as likely to take it.

Also, work on removing your emotional and moral connection to food. The less you think of food as a "bad" or "good" dichotomy, the easier it will be to stop binge eating. If you accidentally slip up, you don't have to go whole hog just because you didn't meet the goals you set for yourself. Just be more conscious next time and acknowledge there will always be bumps in the road.

There are several binge eating groups on MFP that you might look into. I hope what I've said helped.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Throw away or donate everything in your house that isn't healthy (including drinks). Go to the grocer and buy fruits, veggies, fat free dairy (cottage cheese, yogurt, milk,ice cream,) and lean meats (chicken, fish, shrimp, thin cut boneless pork). Only buy what you need for a few days or a week max. It would help if you make a daily meal plan for those days so you have just enough food for those meals and snacks. Not an expert but that's what I'd do in your situation. Good luck.

Being unnecessarily restrictive and demonizing food is the last thing recovering binge eaters should do.

OP, I agree that you should seek professional help. Based on your picture, I don't see 49 lbs to lose.
  • chrs86
    chrs86 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy is not being restrictive. And yes it's okay to demonize a rack of ribs or a double quarter pounder when you have weight issues. You can't recover unless you remove the source of your unhealthy life style.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy is not being restrictive. And yes it's okay to demonize a rack of ribs or a double quarter pounder when you have weight issues. You can't recover unless you remove the source of your unhealthy life style.

"eating healthy" is subjective. I can meet my macros eating burgers and fries in proper portions. My health is in excellent condition.

But anyway, you're talking to someone who was a binge eater for 10+ years, someone who used to think that there was no way out of destructive eating disorder behaviors. There is a way out and the way is not telling yourself that you "can't have this and that" because they're "bad." That leads to more bingeing.