muscle to fat

Options
so i started out at 155 in october unhappy with my body. i began to start working out and eating right. That turned into me working out all the time and playing volleyball 3 times a week and limiting my food intake. i got down to 125 ish around march. this mostly was because i wasnt eating that much (800 cal a day) and working out a lot. i had little muscle and had low blood sugar. i started incorporating heavier weight lifting in my workouts along with eating more protein carbs and fat. i started gaining muscle and tone and of course inevitable fat. i started gaining weight on the scale but i thought it was because of my new muscle. i started doing more cardio (45 min to an hour) and i saw some results so i continued to do this. then for two weeks i ate horribly and binged and i woke up one day noticing all this fat on my body i hadnt seen for months.. i was so upset. i started limitng my food again and working out more and i started to lose all tone in my body. almost all my muscle has no tone and does not show like it used to. i also have newly added fat . so i feel very flabby with no muscle definition. what happened to me? what do i do now about this? i currently weigh about 136 and id like to lose about 10 lbs of fat. how should i do this? what should i do about eating and what types of exercising should i do? more weights less cardio more protein? less weights more cardio less food? i feel like all my muscle has disintegrate and fat replaced it. although all my strength is still there. is my muscle gone or is it not showing?

EDIT
what i am saying is now i eat more and lift heavier and for a while i gained a lot of muscle and tone!! but for about two weeks i ate a lot of processed, unhealthy foods and only kinda worked out. i now have a ton of newly added fat and im losing muscle tone.t i need to lose fat and gain muscle. i am 18 yrs old, almost 5'6 and weigh around 136

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

I think you are making it more complicated than it really is. Do a mental dump of everything and read the above link. Sometimes we do better when we think of today as Day 1.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    See: anabolism and catabolism
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    When you crash diet, you will lose your muscle and other tissue as well as fat. Fat can only be metabolised so quickly, and any deficit beyond what your body can cover with burning fat, will burn muscle etc.

Stop yo-yoing from one extreme to the other. Find your maintenace. Eat 200* calories a day more than that, combined with heavy lifting to build muscle. Eat 500 calories a day less than that, combined with heavy lifting to lose weight and preserve the muscle you have.

Or, keep crash dieting and undoing your good work.

Good luck.

*ammended, cos corrected by another poster
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    First, I'm no expert but from what I understand it's not all that easy to gain muscle, especially since you are a female. And at 800 calories you were starving yourself.

What you are probably seeing are your glycogen stores building back up after a period of time of depletion, since you don't mention how long you only ate 800 calories.

My suggestion would be to eat at maintenance with a reasonable macro split say 40% protein, 30% carbs, 30% fat, and lift heavy. That will help you burn fat and maintain the muscle you have. You cannot build muscle eating in a deficit except for some newbie gains.

You also don't say how tall you are. You may also want to see a register dietician to help create a nutrition plan to meet your needs.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    OP, you already asked this. Get professional help.
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1365005-whats-happening-to-me

(sigh)

lolowolf gave you a great break down of the answers to your questions on your other post.
  • jjplato
    jjplato Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Eat 500 calories a day more than that, combined with heavy lifting to build muscle.

That's way too much of a surplus, especially for a woman. At that rate, she'd gain a pound a week, or 52 lbs in a year. Almost all of that would be fat. There is no way that even a beginner is going to gain 52 lb of muscle in a year.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Eat 500 calories a day more than that, combined with heavy lifting to build muscle.

That's way too much of a surplus, especially for a woman. At that rate, she'd gain a pound a week, or 52 lbs in a year. Almost all of that would be fat. There is no way that even a beginner is going to gain 52 lb of muscle in a year.
    True, and although I'm willing to bet they would never reach 500 cal excess, I'll ammend my post.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    EDIT
    what i am saying is now i eat more and lift heavier and for a while i gained a lot of muscle and tone!! but for about two weeks i ate a lot of processed, unhealthy foods and only kinda worked out. i now have a ton of newly added fat and im losing muscle tone.t i need to lose fat and gain muscle. i am 18 yrs old, almost 5'6 and weigh around 136

Then focus on bulking, or focus on cutting. You cannot lose fat and gain muscle at the same time.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Honestly from your post you sound like you are making a lot of important decisions based completely on subjective interpretations of how you "feel" about yourself.

You don't gain lots of fat from 1 day. You don't lose your muscle over the period of a few days. If you binge then just log it and try to correct whatever behavior it was that triggered the binge even if that means eating more as your calorie target. If you stop weight lifting even for a little bit your muscles won't be pumped full of glycogen and water and they will go from firm to soft as a result...this isn't loss of muscle tissue this is just how much water is being retained in your muscle.

Chances are you are overdramatizing. You should pick one healthy routinue (where you are exercising and eating enough to fuel that exercise) and just stick with it rather than knee-jerk responding to how you feel on a given day and changing your routinue based on that.

Consistency is very important here.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    From lolowolf
    what happened to me? you gained weight

what do i do now about this? eat at a calorie deficit

i currently weigh about 136 and id like to lose about 10 lbs of fat. how should i do this? eat at a calorie deficit

what should i do about eating and what types of exercising should i do? eat whatever food you want to as long as it meets your calorie goal. I suggest lifting heavy weights, but you will still lose weight on a calorie deficit

more weights less cardio more protein? calorie deficit first, then focus on strength training and macros

less weights more cardio less food? refer to question above

i feel like all my muscle has disintegrate and fat replaced it muscle cannot turn into fat, and fat cannot turn into muscle

is my muscle gone or is it not showing? you gained weight causing more fat to cover your muscles. once you lose that fat, your muscles will look more defined. your muscle is still there.

ETA: get professional help. You do not need to post multiple threads about it.

From the other thread. This sums it up.