40 lbs lost

xlollipunk
xlollipunk Posts: 14 Member
I'm pretty excited as I have lost 40 lbs pre-bariatric surgery. I'm scheduled for a gastric bypass on Tuesday. In the last 6 months, I've been working hard to get in the groove of eating well and exercising as it's what I must continue after I have surgery. I believe this will help me to be that much more successful.

Here is a pic of me from February 2014, weighing 233 lbs and a pic of me today weighing 205.4. I'm sorry the pics aren't the greatest, but I think you can see some progress there.

2jfacmb.jpg

Replies

• christygb
    christygb Posts: 84 Member
    Congratulations on your new healthy life! I wish you all the best with your surgery. Sounds like you are setting yourself up with great success!
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    you are doing great, but my thought is if you could lose 40 lbs in 6 months, you don't NEED bariatric surgery...just keep doing what your doing...and don't stop. there's no end to this with any of us.

Best of luck to you.:drinker:
  • xlollipunk
    Thanks! I'm trying very hard!!
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    you are doing great, but my thought is if you could lose 40 lbs in 6 months, you don't NEED bariatric surgery...just keep doing what your doing...and don't stop. there's no end to this with any of us.

I was thinking the same thing; HOWEVER, I know this is a very personal choice and one you've likely put a lot of thought into, so best of luck! Don't forget to come back and post the after pics!
  • xlollipunk

I know what you mean! I've been here/done this before. It's just another tool for success. It's very hard to lose over 100 lbs by diet and exercise alone. It will still be hard with surgery, but I believe it's the extra push I need to take me to my goal. I've thought it over a lot. It is not a decision I've come to lightly.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Congratulations on your success to date and best of luck with your surgery! :flowerforyou:

I think there are some WLS communities on MFP in the Groups tab, if you want to easily find folks facing the same challenges.
  • Leggylass
    Leggylass Posts: 215
    I believe you can do it without the surgery! Look at how much you have achieved so far in just 5 months!

I'm not against the surgery , I just see what you have done already without it and don't you still have to change your lifestyle after the surgery?
  • xlollipunk
    I believe you can do it without the surgery! Look at how much you have achieved so far in just 5 months!

I'm not against the surgery , I just see what you have done already without it and don't you still have to change your lifestyle after the surgery?

It's not impossible. I have done a lot to get where I am. I actually started out at 246 lbs, but I've lost this amount of weight a couple of times in the past and have continued an upward trend in weight. I've been battling this all of my life and I've decided to take more extreme measures to help ensure success. As I said before, it wasn't a decision that I made lightly. I'm just done being overweight. I'm very motivated and yes, the lifestyle still has to change. The surgery is not a quick fix. It's nothing more than a tool. I still have to continue eating right and exercising or I could end up where I was before the surgery once more.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,281 Member
    me too.. don't mean to nag.. but you don't need the surgery… you just proved you could do it. you should be proud.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Great job! Sounds like you've done all of your homework and researched the best solution for you. 40lbs is a tremendous achievement!
  • xlollipunk
    Everyone is free to their opinions, but my choice has been made. It has been a long, hard road getting to the point of actually scheduling my surgery. I have been thinking about doing this for a couple of years and have been actively working toward this goal for over 9 months. Not to be rude, but nowhere in this post did I ask for anyone's advice or opinion on whether I should do it or not.
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    IIIIISerenityNowIIIII Posts: 425 Member
    You've lost the same amount in the same amount of time I have :bigsmile:

Good Job!!!!!

You can clearly do it without going under the knife!! You can save those thousands of dollars toward surgery for vacation or new clothes!
  • xlollipunk
    You've lost the same amount in the same amount of time I have :bigsmile:

Good Job!!!!!

You can clearly do it without going under the knife!! You can save those thousands of dollars toward surgery for vacation or new clothes!

Good job to you, too!!
  • Why would you opt for the surgery when you can clearly lose weight on your own? Would it not be less risky to continue the journey without going under the knife and potentially dealing with post-surgery complications?

Edit - Never mind, I just noticed that you have not asked us for our opinion on whether or not you should have the surgery. I'm out of here.
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    For what it's worth, a friend of mine had bariatric surgery about 10 years ago and had a horrific recovery that required additional surgery. She did lose a lot of weight, but has regained it all and then some. When you don't learn to have a healthy relationship with food, you find a way to overeat regardless if you have the surgery or not. Sadly, my friend has never learned to deal with her emotional eating and she spent a lot of money and went through a lot of pain thinking the surgery was the be all and end all.

Good for you for losing weight on your own. I wish you continued success, whatever you choose to do!
  • yasmine334
    yasmine334 Posts: 187 Member
    I
  • marian4marian
    marian4marian Posts: 94 Member
    fantastic!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • JennyCallanan
    JennyCallanan Posts: 44 Member
    Congrats!!! you're doing an amazing job :)
  • Everyone is free to their opinions, but my choice has been made. It has been a long, hard road getting to the point of actually scheduling my surgery. I have been thinking about doing this for a couple of years and have been actively working toward this goal for over 9 months. Not to be rude, but nowhere in this post did I ask for anyone's advice or opinion on whether I should do it or not.
    Un like everyone else im going to offer you support. I totally understand the battle with fluctuating weight and the fear of if you slack slightly it will all pile back on. Props to you for doing it and props to you for standing up for yourself. I look forward to your after photos.
  • xlollipunk
    Progress pic - 67 lbs lost total. 68bgar.jpg
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!