"sour cream"

Options
laurabritton54
laurabritton54 Posts: 19 Member
I LOVE sour cream. however i abhor fat free sour cream, fat free ranch, and fat free mayo. so i found a delicious substitute i can live with. i am making a ranch potato salad for a party this weekend and didn't want to use mayo. so as a substitute i blended 1 cup cottage cheese, a squeeze of lemon, and 1 t ranch seasoning until smooth. same consistency as sour cream but much better flavor! so i'll be using 1 C of this (176 calories) to substitute the the 1440 calories found in 1 C of mayo or the 492 calories in 1 C sour cream.
i whipped it up this evening to experiment and dipped some cucumber slices in it as a very filling snack. delicious! and a grand total of 67 calories for 4 T of this dip and half a cucumber. it comes to 11 calories/ Tbsp.

Replies

• pronetocrash91
    pronetocrash91 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Never would have thought to use cottage cheese! Sounds interesting. Might give it a shot sometime soon.
  • PSMTD
    PSMTD Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    You can use greek yogurt too :)
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Wish we could get ranch seasoning in Australia. Never seen it yet. Sounds great.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    Sounds good. I'll have to give this a try. Thanks!
  • laurabritton54
    laurabritton54 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

I also am not a fan of plain yogurt! I do Love the okois brand of coffee flavored greek yogurt and various other flavors but to eat it just plain, not for me!
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    that is what we use
  • WadeLam
    WadeLam Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Genius. Can't wait to try. :)
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,719 Member
    Options
    Sounds good.
  • HelloAmbie
    HelloAmbie Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post!
  • CHAR1105
    CHAR1105 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Corjogo
    Corjogo Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    "Wish we could get ranch seasoning in Australia. Never seen it yet. Sounds great"
    . Check on line and you will find recipes to make your own. So like the real thing no one will know the difference unless you tell them.
    Once you have the powder made up you can sub lite weight alternatives like Greek yogurt, lite mayo or tofu to suit your taste - or just use buttermilk and mayo and add powder to your taste.
  • kbeardmore22
    kbeardmore22 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    bump to try
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options

I also am not a fan of plain yogurt! I do Love the okois brand of coffee flavored greek yogurt and various other flavors but to eat it just plain, not for me!

that may be true, but by the time you're done with it it's not plain anymore. you're adding enough seasonings that you shouldn't be able to taste it as yogurt anymore.
  • 78105234a
    78105234a Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    bump
  • __hannah_
    __hannah_ Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I usually use greek yogurt. Never thought to use cottage cheese. I'll have to try it out. Thanks!
  • nicopa
    nicopa Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Seconded re: greek yoghurt! Mix with some minced garlic, salt pepper and squeeze of lemon juice... delish!
  • vannie9210
    vannie9210 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yum! :)
  • Kalena1954
    Kalena1954 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Tastes great with a powdered blue cheese also. I find large packages of both at Cash-n-carry
  • Linda_wright75
    Linda_wright75 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    GENIUS!

Great idea to use pureed cottage cheese! I will be giving this a try.
  • loriedw6
    loriedw6 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    great idea. thanks