HOOOOW to make apple cider vinegar drinkable?

Options

Replies

• Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    in an 8 oz fruit juice class, pour 6 oz of Elijah Craig bourbon (94 proof).

Drink the bourbon straight up in one huge gulp

Wait 20 minutes

Drink as much of the ACV you want

You may or may not remember that you have drank the bourbon, repeat the bourbon just to be safe.

As far as I can remember, this works well for me
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Don't drink it. Those health benefits are HIGHLY overrated.

If you insist on it, take it with a chaser of your favorite intensely flavorful beverage.

Actually that is incorrect. Drinking apple cider vinegar before a meal reduces the insulin spike that results from eating.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    The benefits are marginal.

But if you must, I would recommend using it in food. I tried an amazing chicken recipe once that used apple cider vinegar in the marinade.
  • sailsgoboom
    sailsgoboom Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm skeptical of the health benefits, although oddly I find it helps with heartburn. Whatever works, works.

but am I the only one that *likes* the taste? I'll often add a pour to my water-- tap or club-- just to liven it up. mmmm
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

If you insist on it, take it with a chaser of your favorite intensely flavorful beverage.

Actually that is incorrect. Drinking apple cider vinegar before a meal reduces the insulin spike that results from eating.

How is that even possible? Apple cider vinegar is just fermented apple juice. A lot of the sugar is removed, but that doesn't mean that there isn't still sugar present.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I use it for my amazing pulled pork - sprayed liberally. :)
  • Shay_in_shape
    Shay_in_shape Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Okay i live by apple cider vinegar... I hate it but i take a shot (or 2 spoonfuls) a day just down it really fast and immediately follow with water!
  • bugaboo_sue
    Options

How is that even possible? Apple cider vinegar is just fermented apple juice. A lot of the sugar is removed, but that doesn't mean that there isn't still sugar present.

There have been countless studies on this and the results are lower blood sugar levels.

http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/contact-us/2475-&action=1
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/06/02/apple-cider-vinegar-hype.aspx
    http://simpledailychange.com/apple-cider-vinegar-for-insulin-sensitivity/
    http://www.thealternativedaily.com/multiple-studies-you-can-control-blood-sugar-with-apple-cider-vinegar/
    http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-816-APPLE CIDER VINEGAR.aspx?activeIngredientId=816&activeIngredientName=APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

you're supposed to have an insulin spike after eating because biology

drinking ethanoic acid or any other strong acid before a meal will probably make you lose your appetite a bit and eat less, which would likely result in a smaller insulin spike.
  • bugaboo_sue
    Options

drinking ethanoic acid or any other strong acid before a meal will probably make you lose your appetite a bit and eat less, which would likely result in a smaller insulin spike.

Studies have shown that people with type 2 diabetes that drink a tablespoon of ACV before a meal have a significant decrease in the insulin spike.

There have been countless studies done on the benefits of ACV before a meal.
  • neandermagnon
    Options

There have been countless studies on this and the results are lower blood sugar levels.

http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/contact-us/2475-&action=1
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/06/02/apple-cider-vinegar-hype.aspx
    http://simpledailychange.com/apple-cider-vinegar-for-insulin-sensitivity/
    http://www.thealternativedaily.com/multiple-studies-you-can-control-blood-sugar-with-apple-cider-vinegar/
    http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-816-APPLE CIDER VINEGAR.aspx?activeIngredientId=816&activeIngredientName=APPLE CIDER VINEGAR

Mercola is a well renouned quack. Maybe he has shares in apple cider vinegar.

You need to be a bit more selective in your reading. Try peer reviewed scientific journal articles.

duck-4.gif
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    If it were really as beneficial as some reports say - don't you think everyone would drink it? Stop drinking it, substitute it for other vinegar in your cooking and let it go at that. I'm not sure it's even edible...period.

If weight loss were really as beneficial as reports say - don't you think everyone would be losing weight?

In other words, your argument is a fallacy.

It's entirely edible. I second the recommendation for Bragg's raw with the mother. It has more of an apple taste to it than the pasteurized/conventional stuff.

Acetic acid, the acid in ACV, actually has potent antiglycemic and antimicrobial effects, both of which have been known and studied for some time now. Acetic acid is even prescribed for outer ear infections. Works great for heartburn, too, depending on the underlying cause (I know, counterinuitive, but it really does, because not all heartburn is caused by too much stomach acid). Also works great as a fabric softener, hair conditioner, all-purpose household cleaner, and for removing various skin blemishes like moles and skin tags.

Oh, and to answer your question -- more people don't drink it, because societal norms have shifted toward shunning natural remedies in favor of pharmaceuticals, even when the pharmaceuticals are using the very natural remedies that the layman shuns (ie - the acetic acid ear drops for ear infections). Just like how more people don't eat organ meat anymore, even though doing so can supply you with more Vitamin A, Iron, and other nutrients than most other "nutrient powerhouse" foods can even dream of supplying.

http://authoritynutrition.com/6-proven-health-benefits-of-apple-cider-vinegar/ (has around 30 links to PubMed studies)
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    My gramma swears by ACV for her arthritis and for weight loss. Maybe because it tastes terrible? LOL!!!

The only thing I use ACV is for my dogs, I put it in their water (about 1/3 cup to 4 gallons). I also dilute it in a spray bottle and mist them after their baths. It's great for repelling fleas & ticks.

If anything I would just cook with it, and just stick with drinking plain ol' H2O!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

based on what scientific studies? Could you link them so I could review please?
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options

Except...it pretty much cured my husband's acid reflux.

He had horrible acid reflux and started taking acv whenever it flared up. Not only did it help almost instantly, after a few months the problem went away and now only flares up on occasion (ie, pizza night. lol.)

AND this was several years ago.

You can dilute acv with water and add stevia & ginger to make a very yummy refreshing drink.
  • neandermagnon
    Options

Studies have shown that people with type 2 diabetes that drink a tablespoon of ACV before a meal have a significant decrease in the insulin spike.

There have been countless studies done on the benefits of ACV before a meal.

Link me to these studies i.e. published in peer reviewed journal articles. No mercola or alternative daily.

Also, what's in apple cider vinegar that's not in malt vinegar or red wine vinegar that has this effect?
  • cyborg_mantisshrimp
    Options
    What If You Mixed It With A Milkshake That Would Be Good
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I've heard a lot of health benefits of apple cider vinegar but WOW does it taste awful. I tried mixing a few tbsps with a cup of water and plugging my nose to drink it but nearly vomited. I'm thinking of trying some tomorrow with water, lemon juice and splenda, but I'm not sure even that will be okay. Any suggestions? Preferably not juice or something because I want it as low cal as possible, thanks!

ACV is available in capsule form so you get the benefits without the taste. I personally don't mind the taste on salads but also take 2 capsules daily. Honey would be a better choice than splenda too not only for taste but health benefits. ACV is acidic so lemon juice which is also acidic is not the best choice for flavour either.