How do you entertain yourself at the gym?

Options

Replies

• Niccole5878
    Niccole5878 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    LOL!! Love this, but it is the truth for me.... :)
  • motofairy
    motofairy Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I listen to music. Mostly my playlists are songs that make me feel like a bad *kitten* and music from my glory days of college and dancing at gay bars, where the best dance music lives.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    I didn't renew my gym membership, but I would watch whatever crap was on the tv. I also watched hockey on my phone via Game Centre Live. Otherwise, just listened to music that would keep me moving.
  • Raevyns
    Raevyns Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I lift too so that keeps me more than focused, but...my gym has cable so I'll toss on some HGTV or Food Network.

I'm sure the latter causes consternation amongst other gym goers post- Raevyns-Workout.
  • Jdigs88
    Jdigs88 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't need entertaining when working out. If you're bored then you're not trying hard enough.

It's not about being bored or not trying. I'm working hard and pushing myself quite a bit (hit a personal best yesterday, yay!), but I'm doing a lot of cardio. I try to mix in fitness classes when I can or home dance workouts because they fly by, but when I have 30-60 minutes on the treadmill or elliptical, it gets monotonous. I'm still starting out, so I'm in cruddy enough shape that working out is definitely work. Good music takes my mind off the work part and makes it more fun. I was wondering if there are songs, tv shows, etc. that inspire or motivate people to go faster and make it more fun.

I get that lifting, interval training, and such can help with that, but for the basic in the gym, cardio routine, help is appreciated, especially websites to find the playlists/etc.
  • jason_adams
    jason_adams Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Sports highlights for warmup and short cardio sessions.
    Music for longer, harder cardio, and lifting.

I did go for a while where I didn't need my own tunes to focus. I'd like to get back there just so I don't damage my ears from loud earphone music. My workouts are getting very difficult now that the weight is getting up there, so I sense I'll be able to drop the tunes soon.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't need entertaining when working out. If you're bored then you're not trying hard enough.

giphy.gif
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Another audiobook fan. I decided to only listen to them while exercising and now I frequently find myself doing "just 5 more minutes" so that I can keep listening to my book.

I think that's kind of an awesome idea. I typically catch up on my smut TV shows- but I should do more educating of myself- I used to adore books on tape- might get me to do more cardio LMFAO.
  • Kristy528
    Kristy528 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I love taking classes, which used to be all I did. Now that I had a baby 3 1/2 months ago, I am only able to attend class two times a week and in order to get any other work outs in I do them on my lunch break (thankfully I work close enough to my gym). So I use different cardio machines. I normally read magazines or nook/books, I hold whatever Im reading in my hand(s). This actually will make you use your core more to keep balance. If I use the treadmill I will listen to my ipod. I was just thinking the other day I may start watching some TV...who knows get sucked in to a soap opera again for a change or pace so I don't get bored. I love to read and right now that is the only time I have to do it, Win/Win!!
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    fastfoodietofitcutie Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    It infuriates me to see people reading at the gym. I know I really shouldn't care what other people are doing but if you are able to read a book you aren't working out hard enough.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    It infuriates me to see people reading at the gym. I know I really shouldn't care what other people are doing but if you are able to read a book you aren't working out hard enough.

And you are the gatekeeper of exercise intensity?
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Netflix, Amazon Prime are pretty good for a stationary machine...

If I'm on the elliptical, I like to do Zombies, Run! Or listen to music
    There are a few podcasts I'll listen to Nosleep podcast, Welcome to Nightvale, or What's the Tee with RuPaul and Michelle Visage...

It has nothing to do with "not working out hard enough". When I'm at work, if the weather is crappy outside, I'll hop on the treadmill to get my steps in. I usually take my son for a three mile walk in the evenings, and would like to listen to something (other than the white trash hill jacks cat calling)... I would have already done my 30-45 minute hardcore workout and just want to keep myself busy.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    earbuds, music, and juggling. . . .gotta do it
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Skip the Cardio and lift instead
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I use an app called "Rock My Run" to give me playlists that match my run pace. It helps keep me motivated!
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    On days that I do low intensity cardio (treadmill or elliptical), I read on my Kindle. I use a large font to make it easier to read.
  • focusedonfitness2015
    focusedonfitness2015 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Personally I listen to music. I like upbeat, heavy stuff that gets my heart pumping. My 15yo daughter watches Grays Anatomy on Netflix while on the elliptical. I've tried reading but I get distracted easily
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I like to just sit in the squat rack and people watch. I'll do a set of curls every 10 minutes or so.
  • sc003ro
    sc003ro Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    i put gym motivation from you tube on....gets me pumped up....
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

really now...that is most interesting...

I have a bit of a rest between sets (happens when the ****z gets heavy) and if I want to read I will read and it doesn't mean I am not working hard enough...or watch tv or people or wtf I want.