the perfect workout plz?

Options
2»

Replies

• Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    The perfect workout is a Mountain Bike ride. Period. The end.
  • xxshelbyxx0818
    Options
    A couple discussion points here.

Exercise: Exercise will help prime your body or help augment fat loss but fat loss starts with your nutrition plan. Exercise goals should be something other than weight loss, something like you want to run a mile faster, just general good physical shape, you want to be better able to handle a physical job, athletic goals, strength goals, etc, etc.

Diet: Diet is walk will make or break your weight loss goals. Your diet should be something you can sustain long-term. If you can't see yourself (be honest with yourself) doing this 5 years from now then don't do it. Diet at as many calories possible. For you, I calculate your maintenance with 3-days of exercise to be approximately 1700 calories / day. A 500 calorie deficit is almost a 30% calorie deficit, that's pretty substantial.

Just my opinion here... If I were going to setup training I would say to start with something like StrongLifts5x5 or New Rules of Lifting for Women, do some high-intensity intervals 3 to 4 times per week. Nutrition wise, my suggestion would be to start at 1615 calories (5% deficit) and see how your weight loss goes from there. Try that for two weeks and see what happens. If nothing, drop another 5% (1530), and go from there. You could also try some other variable such as carb-cycling and do low-carb early in the week which could help your insulin sensitivity and move-up to a more "normal" carb consumption later in the week. Or even low-carb on non-training days and "normal" carbs on training days.

1615 calorie diet
    protein: 1 x 130 = 130 grams or 520 calories
    fat: 28% * 1615 = ~50 grams or 452 calories
    carbs: the difference of 1615 & fat / pro = ~160 grams or 643 calories

Again, that is all my opinion based on what I've studied in school via research journals and other PhD's in nutritional studies but you should find what works best for you.

Edit: Oh, and there is no eating-back of exercise calories here; that's a ridiculous concept made popular to sell crap like HRM's.

Ok I can't pay attention to that much carb counting and stuff or the 1615 plan you have listed cux it's hard enough for me tracking every single calorie cuz I've never done it before and I have a 3 year old. And Ive been eating 1200 a day for 2 weeks and haven't lost a friggin pound, so upping my calorie intake to 1500 won't do me any better. Mfp told me i should be eating 1700 NORMALLY without any exercise so they put my deficit of 500 at 1200 including exercise calories burned. And I'd love to do the weights or read those work outs you suggested but I can't find time to go to the gym.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    It's been 2 weeks. Whenever you make a change to your exercise routine/intensity or to your calorie intake, give your body 4-6 weeks to adjust. As for the perfect workout - there isn't one. A good workout is one that you actually get done and it seems that you're more concerned that your current workout isn't having you lose weight. Well, the weight loss is going to depend on your calorie intake. If you aren't using a food scale to measure everything you are eating/drinking, then you could be consuming more than you think.

Please review the following link for great info/advice.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    And Ive been eating 1200 a day for 2 weeks and haven't lost a friggin pound, so upping my calorie intake to 1500 won't do me any better. Mfp told me i should be eating 1700 NORMALLY

You should try and diet on as many calories possible to help maintain a strong metabolism and to help you maintain the weight loss long-term. It's very common for people that lose weight to just gain it back. Additionally, MFP uses a different calculation, I'm not even sure what it is they use to be honest because they use the whole calorie eat-back garbage and what-not.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    sex
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    sex

z205099164.gif
  • xxshelbyxx0818
    Options
    It's been 2 weeks. Whenever you make a change to your exercise routine/intensity or to your calorie intake, give your body 4-6 weeks to adjust. As for the perfect workout - there isn't one. A good workout is one that you actually get done and it seems that you're more concerned that your current workout isn't having you lose weight. Well, the weight loss is going to depend on your calorie intake. If you aren't using a food scale to measure everything you are eating/drinking, then you could be consuming more than you think.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

I did read that and I am measuring my food. So you're saying it hasn't been long enough to lose weight yet? Cuz mfp makes it seem like you'll lose weight the first week, the Second, etc.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

I did read that and I am measuring my food. So you're saying it hasn't been long enough to lose weight yet? Cuz mfp makes it seem like you'll lose weight the first week, the Second, etc.

Some people lose weight right away (most tend to be water weight though) the first couple weeks, some don't. And are you weighing food with a food scale or measuring with cups? If the latter, then I'd suggest investing in a food scale and weigh.

Here's a video that shows how big of a difference it makes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    Agreed, weighing is going to be most accurate. Calories per serving is kind of a swag as it is, so you might as well improve your accuracy with weight versus measuring like Pika mentions.

Weight loss is going to vary by individual, there are no rules for rate of weight loss; although there are general recommendations for the how fast your rate of fat loss should be so you don't screw-up your metabolism.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

I doubt you read the pinned threads if you think that.
  • xxshelbyxx0818
    Options
    And Ive been eating 1200 a day for 2 weeks and haven't lost a friggin pound, so upping my calorie intake to 1500 won't do me any better. Mfp told me i should be eating 1700 NORMALLY

You should try and diet on as many calories possible to help maintain a strong metabolism and to help you maintain the weight loss long-term. It's very common for people that lose weight to just gain it back. Additionally, MFP uses a different calculation, I'm not even sure what it is they use to be honest because they use the whole calorie eat-back garbage and what-not.

I mean it kinda makes sense that if u eat at a deficit and burn calories then eat them back that you'd still only be eating your goal calories. What do u use
  • xxshelbyxx0818
    Options
    tl;dr: The perfect workout is the Hawaii Chair

/thread

Are u serious
  • xxshelbyxx0818
    Options
    You dont want to lose weight, you want to lower your body fat percentage. Up your calories so that your deficit is half what it is now to keep from losing more muscle, make sure you're getting plenty of protein, and start a full body strength program. You don't have to lift weights, but it will probably give you the fastest results. Look at StrongLifts 5x5 or New Rules of Lifting for Women.

Ok but is there any of this I can do at home
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    You can manually change your calorie goal itself under Goals (I beliebe that is where it is) instead of changing the weightloss rate. Find a TDEE calculator online (scooby's workshop has a pretty good one) and include your exercise in the activity level you pick (1 to 3 hours per week light exercise, or whatever fits you). Set your calorie goal to be 80% or 85% of that number. Don't eat back exercise calories witb this number because they are already figured in.

For strength training, Google you are your own gym or other body weight exercises. As long as you keep progressively challenging yourself, it will work just fine.

I already did tdee calculator and it shows 1830 as my tdee, so 80% of that would be 1464. So I should change my calorie goal to that? But when I add my exercise to my diary it'll make my number larger through the day cuz it'll give me them back, so I should I not pay attention to that? And I guess I'm not really challenging myself enough cuz i can't find the time to do a legit workout. Like I've done that nerd fitness circuit training and make it to 3 reps which is only 10 minutes, but I'll start doing more or look up the info u gave me. Thanks

Yes, you ignore the calories that MFP adds back. Or even better, just dont enter workouts into MFP. Then you don't have to worry about it.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options

I mean it kinda makes sense that if u eat at a deficit and burn calories then eat them back that you'd still only be eating your goal calories. What do u use

I use a TDEE calculation and do not worry about tracking calories burned. It's a fairly inaccurate thing for activities outside of walking and hiking, plus it doesn't account for the improved metabolism for the few hours after exercise. Why track it? Calculate TDEE, start with a 5% to 10% deficit and go from there. Not tracking calories "burned" should simplify your life a little.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    The perfect workout is the one you do consistently. For more than a couple of weeks. All you need is patience.

this.