"Cooldown" on C25K app

Options
What does the "cooldown" portion of a workout on the C25K app mean? Does this mean that you just walk slower than your "brisk walk warmup"?

I know that this might seem silly but I'm just starting out.

Thanks!

Replies

• SMFRN
    SMFRN Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Yep you just walk to bring your heart rate down. You do not want to stop suddenly without a cooldown which could cause injury. Good luck with C25K. I am on week 4 day 2.
  • JeanieBean1074
    Options
    Thanks! I just completed week 1 on Sunday... I tried to do week 2 day 1 yesterday but it was too much-- my calves and shins were achy... too much too soon?
    I think I might repeat the 1st week.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I just completed week 1 on Sunday... I tried to do week 2 day 1 yesterday but it was too much-- my calves and shins were achy... too much too soon?
    I think I might repeat the 1st week.
    I would keep going forward. You're going to be a little sore - running works your legs, ankles, feet differently that just walking, so you're going to feel it. Make sure you're only going out three days a week as the program recommends, with at least one day in between each session. If you're struggling to complete a session, make sure you slow down - I mean S L O W down - slow running is still running. Go as slowly as needed to complete the time. If you really can't, then maybe repeat that day, but I found that even the more daunting weeks in the program that I thought there was no way I could do - I gave them a shot and completed every single one of them. And that's an awesome feeling. :drinker: Pay attention to your body, you don't want to do too much and injure yourself, but if you take it slow, you should be fine.

As far as the cool down - yep, just walk, as slow or as brisk as you like, the idea is to just keep your muscles moving, but with less intensity. I completed c25k over 2 years ago, and I still begin and end all my runs with a warm up and a cool down walk, and I always stretch when I'm done as well.
  • JeanieBean1074
    Options
    Thanks for your input and advice! It's greatly appreciated!
  • Jonalee1977
    Jonalee1977 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I'm on Week 7. Definitely slow down if you are having a hard time. There are times I "run" as fast as some people walk (or so it feels). I never thought I would be able to run 25 minutes non-stop and am super proud of myself. You definitely want to end your run by walking. Don't forget to stretch, it's good for your muscles and helps prevent injury.