How to get the most out of MFP and the boards?

Options
htg_dc
htg_dc Posts: 2 Member
I am a newbie - obviously. Still learning and reading all the "Newbies must read this!" Posts. Informative, yes. But a bit overwhelming.

So for someone brand new, what is the best way to get the most out of MFP website, app etc? I have a job and cannot read through tons of posts all day. So how to get friends here who can encourage each other? Do I simply seek friends and post in my feed? Or do I start a new message board post?

Other than logging every. single. thing. I eat - how else can the app help me in my day to day battle?

I welcome any advice or tips - as well as other friends needing to lose over 100lbs.

Thanks!:smile:

Replies

• mw49429
    mw49429 Posts: 5
    Options
    I originally started by using MapMyRun because it was all about running. All of the *MapMyFitness websites/apps can sync with this website/app. If you started using a diff app, try to see if they can be synced.

Many people have already logged certain salad combo's and dinner combo's, just take a little time searching. Logging every single thing hopefully lessens.

Find friends through your email, facebook, or twitter and post whatever you like.

I'm fairly new to this MFP site as well, but that's my input! Hope that helps!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    You can find friends a lot of different ways. Either by posting to the message boards yourself or by sending friend requests to people with similar goals or those who give good advice. One thing I'll point out is that some people may have specific information on their profiles for those interested in friending them. Also, some posters find it rude to send a friend request without a message attached.
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Learn to post gifs.

Other than that, have a look at the sticky threads which has great info for beginners.

You can also use the search button to look up keywords if you want something specific.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    When I began, I would look through the boards for people my age, who had about the same calorie goals. If I have friends who I feel would drag me down, I would unfriend them. People that use this site to vent about all of their personal problems (daily)was not something I wanted to read about every day. I enjoy people who are consistent and upbeat. Everyone has bad moments, that's why we are all here, but some problems were too deep for me to help. I learned a lot from reading the boards. I pretty quickly learned that for the most part, the people with many posts know what they are talking about. They have been here a long time and are not going to disappear on you.At times they can be the most blunt, dont let it hurt your feelings or make you angry. It is just that they have answered the same questions over and over again. There are many different opinions on here but, I now get a sense of what I think is bullsh** and what isn't. I also add friends who enjoy giving advice, and have been successful. Good Luck!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Dont say the word "Diet" nor mention anything about a "Fad Diet'
    Don't post topics about "People on MFP are mean"

That seems to start a *kitten* storm! :wink:
  • Jonalee1977
    Jonalee1977 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    - Log everything you put in your mouth and keep putting one foot in front of the other.

- Pay attention to your macros and try to keep your sugar and sodium intake in check.

- If you're wanting to add friends, you can post a thread on the "introduce yourself" board along with some basic info and request people with similar goals to add you. Otherwise, if you read a post from someone who you think would be a good friend, send them a friend request. Be sure to include a message of where you saw them or they might not accept.