Whey Protein

Options
leahraskie
leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
I was wondering if anyone knew the difference between whey protein isolate and concentrate and which you should focus more on. I'm looking for protein as a meal supplement while my boyfriend is looking for one to build muscle. We picked up some samples at Complete Nutrition, but those are way overpriced. I assume those are specifically for body building and the macro nutrient content wouldn't be what I was interested in.

Replies

• iamallpink
    iamallpink Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I did a google search on your question - they have a full article on builtlean.com on the processing of Whey protein and which is better for you, depending on your goals. Good luck!!
  • Flyersteve18
    Flyersteve18 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Standard-Vanilla-Cream/dp/B000GISTZ4/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1406060632&sr=1-1&keywords=vanilla+whey

I don't do whey anymore due to it giving me stomach problems nowadays, I just do protein bars/quest bars but when I did do whey, this was my choice, and the vanilla and ice cream flavors taste awesome. Mixed with milk or in a blender with 1 scoop, half cup milk half a banana and ice it tastes awesome!

To answer your question, if your not a bodybuilder, there is no difference. Just stay away from ones that have too many calories for the amount of protein per serving, added things like preworkout supps, or mass gainers. Just regular old whey like the ON brand is good.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    The whole point of protein shakes REVOLVES around the concept of macro nutrient content. People use them in order to get their protein requirements up but keep their calories comparably low to what you would need to eat in order to match those macros.

As for the difference: isolate is the more refined than the concentrate for protein. Concentrate still contains trace amounts of lactose and milk fat. In isolate, they basically refine those out. That is why you will usually see higher amounts of protein with lower overall calories in isolate. The idea is to break it down as much as possible to have the highest protein content with lowest amount of calories while speeding up the absorption rate in your body for the protein.

This is absolutely great for people who work out and want to feed their muscles as soon as possible
    BUT
    If you are using it as a meal replacement than you are paying for extra features you basically do not need. Look into Casein protein instead for meal replacement. It digest much slower than whey which translates into keeping you fuller for longer.

Hope this help clear it up.
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    The whole point of protein shakes REVOLVES around the concept of macro nutrient content. People use them in order to get their protein requirements up but keep their calories comparably low to what you would need to eat in order to match those macros.

As for the difference: isolate is the more refined than the concentrate for protein. Concentrate still contains trace amounts of lactose and milk fat. In isolate, they basically refine those out. That is why you will usually see higher amounts of protein with lower overall calories in isolate. The idea is to break it down as much as possible to have the highest protein content with lowest amount of calories while speeding up the absorption rate in your body for the protein.

This is absolutely great for people who work out and want to feed their muscles as soon as possible
    BUT
    If you are using it as a meal replacement than you are paying for extra features you basically do not need. Look into Casein protein instead for meal replacement. It digest much slower than whey which translates into keeping you fuller for longer.

Hope this help clear it up.

Thanks a lot. I didn't see any casein products, but I'll look further. For now we might try the isolate. 280 calories for 60grams of protein is all I need for the day, or even half the scoop is 140 for 30grams protein.