gallbladder removal

Options

Replies

• Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    You don't realize how much you use your abdominal muscles until you have it out, but I was able to go to a Red's game three weeks after my surgery and walk around town. The thing you have to be wary of is what you eat. I would get sick eating meat for a month or so after my surgery so I had to go vegi for a while and slowly introduce meat again. Also if you are lactose intolerant even just a little bit you will be like 100% lactose intolerant without your gallbladder.
    I don't want to scare you I feel better with out it I don't spend my work breaks in a fetal position any longer and I don't go home and lay on the couch in a fetal position till I fall asleep, but you have to change things a bit.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Just to give you more info i did get yellow eyes still got them but there lowering now. I like to move and i life on third floor apt complex will the stairs be bad or no?

i usually don't have people staying with me so how long did you all have to stay in hospital.

I was wheeled into surgery at 8:00am, and was discharged from the hospital at 3:30pm. They will monitor you afterwards, and make sure you meet some basic thresholds before allowing you to be discharged. I had to be able to eat some food (pudding), and drink enough water to pee a couple of times, and I think I had to get up and walk a little bit.

I live on the second floor, and stairs weren't really a big deal. It's your abdomen that will be very sore (I recommend a pillow held against your stomach if you have to sneeze!)

My mom came and stayed with me for a few days after, it was nice, but not 100% necessary. You will definitely need someone to drive you home from the hospital though.
  • AllieBear88
    AllieBear88 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Echoing the "didn't know how much you use your abs until" after surgery remark! OH man! Even driving felt like it setting me on fire the way lots of crunches do! I didn't have too much pain after about a week or so.

What got me was this: I never had heart burn before they took mine out. Like...maybe twice in my whole life. Now, it's at least once a week. It used to be worse, until I cut some foods out of my diet.

I also can't eat whole eggs anymore. Egg yolk makes my stomach hurt so bad now! Almost throwing up from it sometimes. Not everyone experiences that, but if you do, you can talk to your doctor. My FIL had the same issue and was put on a medicine for it. It helped him so much that he doesn't even need it now and can eat eggs (but it didn't work for me, but I'll deal without whole eggs in my life). Btw, I can cook with them, like baking, etc. Just can't eat yellow scrambled eggs or anything like that.

I hope you experience little pain!
  • FallynAngyl
    FallynAngyl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i was out of the hospital in 24hr, and proceeded to move,
    stitches were out in a few weeks, why they didn't use disolving is beyond me,
    biggest thing is to stay away from any fatty foods afterwards, still get stomach pains,
    gallbladder regulates bile release so things that use lots ie fatty foods, can lead to cramp like symptoms,

i found recovery very short, wasn't much pain, all i was prescribed was tylenol.

good luck, there's nothing that compares to the pain of having that PO'd gallbladder.
  • ALittleHazey
    Options
    Make sure you ask for pain killers, as a rule they tend not to give you anything otherwise because apparently some dont need it.

I had mine taken out a few months ago and I was given a small amount of dilaudid after waking up from surgery, then about an hour later i was out the door.

Everything was just peachy until the next day when the freezing wore off, which is when i started to scream uncontrollably whenever i rolled over, sneezed, coughed or stood up out of bed. I had to have my father to go the doctors the day after to get me a prescription for traumadol.

If you have the painkillers from the start it should be very manageable however you will likely shuffle around like a hunchback for a week or 2, and its easily 3-4 weeks before its safe to drive.

After that 4 week point your allowed to resume "strenuous" exercise.
    One final tip, start adding fat back to your diet SLOWLY, your body misses having the galbladder at first and things can be very unpleasant.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I had mine out 6 years ago laparoscopically, went in the morning, was home that afternoon. The only scar you can see at all is the one up under my breastbone, but you have to look really, really close to even notice it, and it just looks like a little thin line which is the same color as my skin pretty much so it blends in. I was back at work within a week and the only thing I would say is you might not want to eat a lot of greasy food after that (the gallbladder stores bile, so you just have a constant bile drip once you don't have it anymore...and usually eating really greasy food can result in running to the bathroom). Honestly I don't eat like that anyway, so it has not been a problem for me. If you have a gallbladder that is not working (mine was full of stones on CAT scan and not working at all) it is better to take it out before it gets infected and you need emergency surgery. I tried natural treatments but there was no getting all those stones out, and really I should have just done it sooner as it did start to get infected and it hurt and I felt really sick. I was lucky I did not have to have emergency surgery. You will feel much better in the long run.

I did get tylenol with codeine, I think I took it the first 2 days, just ibuprofen after that.
  • umpiresoftball
    Options
    thanks all yea i been trying to eat better. i got geroge forman grill that takes the greeze of hambugers out so i should be ok with that. i just hope the pain no too bad.

I know i won't be able to do much when my body needs to rest.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    It took me about 3 days to walk downstairs after I had mine. The most uncomfortable part is they fill you belly with air so they can see. I feel bloated to the point of pain for a few days after. Mine was laporascopic
  • misspenfold
    misspenfold Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I had mine out in an emergency surgery in May this year (keyhole). Even then, just as others have said; though the pain of recovery isn't pleasant it's nothing compared to an attack!

My abdomen was really sore and I was taking ibroprofen and paracetomol for about 5 days after the op. I wasn't able to lift anything heavy for another couple of weeks after that. The biggest thing for me was just being so tired - Obviously the body is recovering from a traumatic experience (surgery), and it'll take as long as it needs to to do that. As long as you don't push yourself too soon your body will heal as it needs to surprisingly quickly.

Having my gallbladder removed has been a lifechanger. After 2 years of more and more frequent attacks I am now healthy and no longer tired all the time. Also I had bacon for the first time in 18 months last weekend and it was WONDERFUL! :bigsmile:
  • stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    i had mine out 11/2012. i had a serious attack 8/2012 - breathing in hurt, i couldn't get comfortable, i couldn't lie down, i couldn't sit up. hubby drove me to the ER and within a couple of hours the doctors said it seemed like my gallbladder. i went in for a really long, annoying scan and they said in addition to lots and lots of tiny stones i had 'sludge'. which sounds great. they said they could take it out laparoscopically in a day or two (once the swelling went down) but the attack was three days before i was set to start a new job!

after talking to my doctors, we realized i had been having a lot of signs of mild attacks - horrible abdominal pains and gas after certain meals, bloating and vomiting after high fat meals (that only happened every few months, thank goodness), all these little things that i thought were just part of getting older, or milked food poisoning, or something stupid like that. because none of my stones were huge, they said i would probably keep getting attacks until i had my gallbladder taken out, but i'd never had surgery before and was terrified.

after a few more fairly painful attacks (and leaving work early a few times) - even after adjusting my diet - i finally threw in the towel. i was at the hospital at 6:30am, in surgery by 7:30am, and in recovery by 10something if i remember correctly. i know we were home before noon. i was prescribed oxycontin and took it as prescribed the first day - every four hours. i spent most of the day sleeping and nibbled on some crackers. by day two, i was sore - kind of like i'd be after a bad attack - and the incisions were annoying. i think i took two pain pills that day, and one was before bedtime so i'd be able to sleep. days three and four - i only took one pain pill (before bed). then i stopped taking them altogether. i returned to work on day seven (desk job, no lifting or anything more strenuous than walking to the copier) with the expectation that i may need to take it extra easy or leave early. i was tired after the first day back, but not REALLY tired. the biggest problem was my incisions - i asked for special permission to wear leggings to work the rest of the week because the waistbands of my pants irritated one of the larger incisions.

since having it out, i haven't noticed many particular foods i have to avoid, but i do know that high fat meals mean i have to be near a bathroom. we had buffalo wings and fries a couple of weeks ago. not 20 minutes after finishing, i needed the bathroom. without your gallbladder, your liver will just slowly drip bile into your stomach. your gallbladder used to pump in more bile the more fat you ate - so without the gallbladder, when you eat a lot of fat, it just comes out. quickly.
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I had mine done laproscopically - it was considered an out patient surgery. Walked out about 1 hour after the surgery. My surgery was on a Thursday and I was back to work on the following Monday. Minimal pain and I did not take any pain medication. No heavy lifting for 4-6 weeks, but my life was back to normal within a couple of days.
  • jenniferhanisch5
    jenniferhanisch5 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse on a general surgery floor. Most people do very well and are able to do outpt with minimal pain (nothing a Percocet or micro can't handle). Best advice I can give you post op is walk, walk, then walk more. Not miles but frequent small walks. Some chest, shoulder pain can be from gas and is to be expected. Extreme abd/back pain with or without nausea vomiting is not normal but can be a sign of a complication called pancreatitis. Discharge usually is no heavy lifting/activity for 4-6 weeks and you can return to work when no longer needing pain medication
  • umpiresoftball
    Options
    So i be going in tomorrow for the Surgery i took five days off of work, hopefully that be enough time to heel, i work in retail as a sale associate i do register have pick up heavy things before but i know i won't be able to do that. I make sure i get a note form surgery doctor what i can't and can do.

I hope i don't feel too much pain i am scared. Sometimes my stomach right now before the removal its like i am hungry and not.

What and how do you take showers/bath etc...?
  • fool4greys
    Options
    I had my gallbladder and an ovary removed on 10/25/13. My was taken out by laparoscope. They glued the holes shut and I could take a shower the next day, just be careful not to over wash the areas and remove the glue. I took pain killers for a few days and was a little sore but wasn't that bad.

I was on a cruise 2 weeks later.

Good luck, you will be fine. If no one has told you it will take your body a few weeks for your body to adjust to processing food without the gallbladder. You will learn what types of food will send you straight to the bathroom very quickly. No one told me about that so I wasn't prepared.
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder out last November right before Thanksgiving.

Honestly the gall bladder attacks (if your having those) hurt 1000x more than the actual surgery/recovery.
    I had my appendix removed about 10 years ago and that recovery was a lot longer/more painful.
    I had my wisdom teeth removed about 8 years ago and the recovery was a lot longer/more painful.
    I've definitely had menstrual cramps many times way worse than pain I felt after surgery.

If you've never had surgery and you're afraid here's what to expect:

Once you check in they'll probably ask you to go to the bathroom, change into a hospital gown etc.
    They also usually have you give a urine sample in a cup (to make sure your not pregnant). -
    Then they'll direct you to a hospital bed and hook you up to an IV, get all the paperwork signed etc.Usually you'll meet your surgeon and he'll tell you about the procedure and answer any questions.
    When they're ready to take you into surgery they'll wheel you into another room with lots of lights. They talk to you along the way and let you know whats happening and usually introduce themselves (Hi I'm Bob I'm your anesthesiologist etc).
    Then they will let you know they are going to put you to sleep. (I always try to think of something nice, a favorite place, favorite song if I'm feeling nervous). Usually the anesthesiologist will ask you to count backwards from 10 or they might just ask you to take several deep breaths. (You feel nothing here by the way) And 10, 9, 8... Your asleep before 7.

Waking up is the only real scary part I'd say as sometimes you feel your heart racing and maybe don't realize where you are at first. You'll feel kind of heavy/groggy and it'll be hard to focus at first. There's usually a nurse or family member nearby though saying your name and asking you how your feeling. Give it a minute or two and you'll find moving and responding to them easier. Usually you're really thirsty (since they have an oxygen mask on you during surgery) and sometimes you feel cold. You will not feel much pain... at least no worse than a day when you've done a hard workout on your Abs at the gym. This is the fun time in life when you can give orders to people around you and they'll jump on it to get you some water, or a warm blanket etc. (Kinda fun, like being a kid again!) You will feel very tired and heavy. (This wears off after a while). I went home in less than 1.5 hours after my surgery. They'll let you stay much longer though if you feel nauseous or don't want to move yet. I was personally just ready to go home.

Getting dressed is tricky because you still feel a little heavy/weak and that abdominal pain like you've worked your abs too hard makes putting your arms over your head uncomfortable. I'd bring some baggy clothes and/or a top that buttons/zips in the front to wear home. After going home You'll find some things like sitting up from laying down and bending over to pick something up are painful (again no worse than a hard ab workout). Just do what you can to make yourself comfortable and take the pain meds regularly (if you go to long without them the pain does get worse...as long as you keep up with the schedule you'll be fine). I opted to sleep on our recliner rather than my bed since it helps with getting up and I didn't have to lay all the way down or do a full sit up like I would to get out of bed to go to the bathroom etc.

You'll have surgical tape over the incision and probably some orange/brown goo around/under the tape. (No worries it isn't blood, its just a high powered antiseptic they use to make sure everything is sanitized during/after surgery to prevent infection). They usually ask that you wait 24 hours before your first shower, but after that you can shower as normal (I think they prefer no baths/soaking in the tub for a week or two to reduce any risk of infection).
    The surgical tape usually falls off in about a week. If not, you'll probably have a followup visit with the surgeon and he'll remove it for you then. (Doesn't hurt anymore than removing a band aid).

Its really not bad at all, and it'll probably be a lot less scary than your imagining in your head. :) Looking forward to hearing how it goes. Wishing you a speedy recovery!
  • shexy16
    Options
    I had mine out, and was back to work in a week.
  • lore2810
    lore2810 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Good advice!
    I am waiting for my appointment with the surgeon to have my gallbladder removed.
  • LMS1230
    Options
    I had mine out 8 years ago after a major attack that felt like I was dying. even breathing hurt!
    I had surgery early in the morning and a few hours later I was on my way home. He gave me some pain
    pills but I only took them the first day or 2. I wasn't really in that much pain. I don't have any problems with
    foods now. before surgery dairy, greasy food or white bread would flare it up.
  • umpiresoftball
    Options
    So i had 30-40 stones in me and they transported me to another hospital so i had two sugeries. they put medal stent in me and took the gallbladder out at the other hospital i got a fever but i got medincine for it. going to get more here soon
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Happy to hear your surgery was successful. Wishing you a speedy recovery!!