Emotional Eating Since 1969 or pretty close

Options
:smile: Hello All!! I remember eating my first "full" meal in 1969 or pretty close to that and being applauded by my family. I have been more or less out of touch with my hunger and satiety cues since then and have struggled with my weight since my teenaged years. I am now at risk for medical problems (Type II Diabetes) and have been on a medically supervised weight loss program for about three months. I have lost weight, but have become increasingly aware of how much my mood influences my food choices. I look forward to getting to know you and also am asking for some support when my food cravings get very strong, but my stomach is not hungry and/or I know the food choice would be harmful to my overall long term goals.

Replies

• alimae87
    alimae87 Posts: 2
    Options
    I tend to go straight for the junk food if I am sad or stressed out, but I have found since making a legitimate effort to eat and feed my family healthier that actually taking the time (and learning to cook new meals) using fresh food actually can take some of the stressful emotions down a notch. Plus, by the time the meal is done you have healthy, vibrant looking food that is good for you. I feel accomplished when I've finished cooking a healthy meal that also gave me some time to myself to think about the issues of the day, but prep and cook the good food instead of eating whatever is easily at hand. It also makes me feel accomplished and excited to chow on the fruits of my labors ;) Best of luck with your journey!
  • skjones0323
    skjones0323 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hey Alimae87!! I really like your positive view of preparing a healthy meal and using the time to think through the issues of the day!. I had a stressful morning involving a recently acquired stepson and then some unpleasantness with my daughter. I tried to think about what was going on with me and concluded that I took these relatively minor incidents and turned them into mountains by letting my thinking go from, "well, so that didn't go so well", to "I'm a total failure as a mother and a person." I had an acceptable breakfast and I did eat some pretzels at the pool which are not on my program, but I am not going to let this situation influence the rest of my eating today. I got some exercise, am going to get a hair cut this afternoon and then will come home to prepare a healthy evening meal. Thank you for the encouragement!