How did you fit in exercise? (Full time work/school)

Options
About three months ago I made the switch to cutting out grains and sugar, and now that I've successfully transitioned to lower carbs I'd like to start exercising to tone and sculpt muscle. However I'm terrible with motivation because I feel so overwhelmed most of my days. I work a 8-5 office job with little activity, then go to school full-time on nights and weekends. By the time I get home I'm completely burnt out and would just prefer to sit on the couch for a little "me" time.

For those of you with busy lives (kids, work, school, etc.) how did you find the motivation and time to fit in exercise? What did you do that worked out for you?

Replies

• Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    In for answers.. I work two jobs sitting all the time and also would like to know how to motivate myself to get off the couch on my day off.
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Gym time is "me time".
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I got up an hour earlier. You can get a good HIIT workout in 15-20min if you are crunched for time.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    You can get up early. You can exercise during lunch. You can exercise at night. You can be a weekend warrior.
  • Stiang
    Stiang Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I get up early and do aerobics or run first thing (okay, after I had my coffee...) before I go to work.

Also, my "guys" at work (I work with military) do planks and push-ups every half hour (push-ups at top of the hour, planks at bottom). I do a modified push-up (pushing off the desk) and my planks are not as long as theirs (they are at 1min 40secs today). Anyone giving us strange looks walking by are immediately challenged to join in. They either do or walk away quickly.
  • Ervie317
    Ervie317 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    When I was in school, I went in the morning to school around 8 and went to work right after until close to 10.
    So, I went to the gym in the morning before school and got ready there. It is hard to get up that early but I would pack my clothes and food the night before so I just had to roll on out of bed put on my workout clothes, grab my bag and food and hit the gym. For a period of time I also had a workout partner who I met at the gym that helped keep me going since I knew they were counting on me being there.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I either get up early and go for my bike ride or I do it on my lunch break. I hit the weight room for about 45 - 60 minutes a few times per week...after work on a couple nights and then usually Saturday morning early. I enjoy these activities, so I don't need a whole lot of motivation to go do them...they're basically hobbies.
  • ybee1991
    ybee1991 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Full time student here who also works part time. I go to the gym in-between classes/study time or before school/work. My gym is right down the street from my college, which really helps.
  • wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5:15 and do my workout, otherwise it wouldn't happen because life gets in the way. It works out perfectly for me
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    You can get up early. You can exercise during lunch. You can exercise at night. You can be a weekend warrior.

Yes, this. Getting started is the hardest part, but once you have a routine you will feel bad missing your workout.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    4 AM.
  • PryorInc
    PryorInc Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You have to get exercise where you can find it. Get up 30 mins/15 mins. early workout in your P.J.s using body weight. Walk to work or school if possible or ride a bike. Park farther away and walk. Walk on your lunch break. Workout before ar after work and school. Use the facilities at school or work if available.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I work my schedule around my exercise. I havemy eigth marathon coming up. I paid for my bib number paid for my plane fix and all that. Now why would I not train? What a waste of time and money. That's my motivation. Plus, there's nothing worse than someone who waits last minute to train (like cramming before a test) and result is injury if they even finish the race.
    My days are often long because of my gym time and obligations (I have two jobs) but I can't imagine and wouldn't feel right spending my days not working out at all. I miss the endorphins abd the high from knowing that i can do so much with my body that alot of other people simply cant or wont. About two days after a marathon, I'm itching to go back to the gym. I have to force myself to stay off my feet for the recommended week. Even tapering before a race (reducing training) is hard.
  • streamgirl
    streamgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I got a fitbit and work in steps during my day--lunch and park further away. I work out with my kids and turn it into something fun--take them to the park in the bike trailer and use the playground equipment to do strength training while they play. Take them to a high school track and let them play tag in the middle field while you run. Added benefit is that you are teaching good habits. Do strength training while you watch TV. Sign up for something and set a goal to add a little pressure--I picked sprint triathlons. Thinking I might drown is a good motivator for workouts! :)
  • glittermini
    Options
    I realized that I had to prioritize things... on some days, you have to sacrifice sleep, and get up early and go. Other times, you have to tell your job that you have to leave on time (i'm guilty of staying way too late when I need to learn how to just step away and accept that those tasks will still be there in the morning). I've also had to learn how to say "no" to friends and decline invitations to places, or show up a little late to get an evening work out in. The hardest part that I can totally relate to from your post is the feeling exhausted and just wanting the couch and (and in my case, some wine and cheese on top of that!) my TV...but you have to split that time and prioritize what the "me" time is that day... sometimes "me" time has to be your gym time. I've only been doing this for about a month... but it's been working out for me! It also helps if you start out your day, or end your evening with concrete goals. Another habit I had to break was staying up too late... instead I find if I say "I'm going to go to bed early so I can wake up an hour early and go to the gym"... that helps making getting up to get that work out time in much easier. Good luck! If I can do it, and I am the Queen of Cat Naps and Being one of the Number One Couch Potatoes... you can do it too!!!
  • dempseymom4
    dempseymom4 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I work a full time job about 30 mins from home and have four kids. What I do is get up at 5am each morning and ride the metro to downtown Minneapolis (from the suburbs) so I can go to a Body Pump class on MWF and do 30mins of cardio and then on Tuesday and Thursday I get here and walk for an hour and half. During lunch I do Boot Camp on MWF and Tabata and Kickboxing on Tuesdays and Thursday. That way I have the evenings to spend with my family and on the weekends we take walks together. It sticks and it is hard to find time but it is totally worth it.
    I know when school starts back I will have to do my morning workouts at home so I can get the kids to school but it feels so much better to work out in the morning I don't think it will be a problem.

Good luck
  • Babyzoom
    Babyzoom Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Just make it a habit. Pretty soon, you won't be able to go without. I work roughly 62-70 hours/week and I'm a part time grad student. I get up early and usually work out anywhere from an hour to two and a half hours everyday. Although it doesn't hurt to have a couple rest days, I find myself out of whack if I don't get in a workout everyday.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    On days when I am having a hard time squeezing in exercise I just do it with my kids. I challenge them to body weight exercise competitions or foot races. It helps wear them out and helps me burn some calories, too. Other than that I get up early to go to the gym and sometimes will walk or run on my lunch hour. There is always a way to find the time, it's finding the motivation that is the biggest struggle.
  • yesterdayusaid2morrow
    Options
    Hi! Student and mommy to two toddlers here, some things I've done...
    1. Wake up earlier and git r' done before the day begins (I find it much easier to be motivated enough to workout in the am compared to after a long day.)
    2. Can you incorporate more movement into your daily activities? I set my fitbit to vibrate once every hour so, if I'm sitting I am reminded to stand up and walk, do some lunges, or a plank.
    3. When I visit stores, I park clear in the back of the lot, also when I'm at school.
    4. Judge me all you want on this one but I'm on a large campus so I wear workout clothes to school many days and will jog to my next class.
    5. Are there 3 or 4 days where your schedule is slightly more free? Sometimes I'll have an hour between classes where I can squeeze in a more complete workout.
    6. Does your school have a gym or offer fitness classes? I really recommend signing up for one! Cheaper than a gym membership and you know you have to show up. Plus, auto A. :)

Good luck, you can find a way! Believe in yourself and make that commitment. It's so true that the first few days or week of making the commitment is hardest, eventually you may find that you really dislike missing more than a day of exercise as I have, and I would have laughed in your face if you'd told me that a year ago! ;)
  • Lyndonbearsmommy
    Lyndonbearsmommy Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I exercise during my breaks and lunch while at work. If I get up to get coffee, I do some wall push ups, standing crunches, squats, lunges, whatever. I take whatever opportunity I can to fit something in. My difficulty is fitting in an actual set workout.