Your Experience with a Personal Trainer

So recently I decided to shift my focus away from cardio and more towards toning and sculpting with adding weight training. Since I've never really done it seriously, I signed up for a month of personal training at my gym. Now that its over, I have to say that although we got some good workouts in, it was overall disappointing.

1. I didn't feel like it was personalized enough to me. We spent an entire session going over a food logging program called dotFit, which I already said I wouldn't use because I log on MFP. Seemed like it was just a standard part of the "package" more than something tailored for me.

2. As I was doing this, I also took a few group classes at the gym--HIIT, Body Method, and a Flex (weights) class, where I thought the workouts were just as good, if not better than my training sessions! Don't get me wrong, I had great workouts with the trainer, but I didn't find it to be worth the money vs. the free classes.

I'm curious to know what other people thought of their personal training experiences.....?

Replies

• accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Every trainer is different. Some try to get everyone to do the same program...others tailor each program to each individual. Sounds like you had one of the trainers that don't give it a lot of effort. I wouldn't give up on trainers altogether but maybe that one isn't worth it.

I had one that was excellent. he tried to teach me why we were doing things, how to hit certain muscles in different ways, and show me what can be achieved with certain exercises.

I also had one that sucked...just went through the motions and didn't explain things so I'd understand...seemed like he just wanted the session to be over. Maybe he had an appointment with someone prettier than I am after me or something...haha.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Unfortunately, experiences with trainers are going to be varied. Most "mid-range" clubs are competing in their markets on the price of dues, therefore they face pressure to keep dues low compared to other clubs.

This constrains cash flow and so they have to make it up by aggressively selling ancillary services such as personal training. From what I see, a lot of clubs push to get people into "packages" so that they can maximize the up front income--they don't want people buying 1 or 2 sessions.

If you have a good trainer, then it can often be a decent deal due to the lower package price. And, in my experience, it takes at least 10 visits to really get people to a point where they can see the difference that the training sessions make.

But the same clubs are also often trying to restrain expenses, which means they can't afford to hire the best trainers. Young, newer trainers can be good ones, but the quality is not as consistent as it would be in a facility that pays the trainers $30-$35 an hour.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    In my experience with personal trainers, the more specific your goals are and the more able you are to really define those goals for the PT, the more benefit you're going to get as the PT can truly tailor a plan.

Having been around a lot of PTs and now having some friends that are PTs, a lot of people's goals are pretty generic..."sculpting" and "toning" are rather generic and abstract kind of goals.

I would also add that man PTs I know do use certain tools like dotFit or whatever...not as part of a package, but because that's the tool they use. For example, I would probably direct people to MFP if I was a PT just because I'm familiar with this and it's the tool that I use. Also, most PTs are going to have a certain way that they go about their training...it is important to watch various PTs in the gym as you can see how they all work differently...I personally would not seek the training of a PT who I see doing primarily circuit type of stuff when what I wanted as a goal was an actual strength program...I would seek out the PT that I saw doing actual strength training and working their clients with compounds, etc.

All that said, as with any profession, there are good ones and bad ones. I do not have a full time trainer, but I have had one when I wanted to get back into Oly Lifting and I sought out a trainer who specializes in that. When I first got started I signed up for training sessions with a PT who specializes in weight loss and metabolic work. They were both good within their perspective areas of expertise and both had a good amount of knowledge on top of that.

ETA: both trainers I've used were not employees of a gym...they were private contractors who rented space at a few different gyms to train their clients.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    I've used two personal trainers one of which I liked, but I still would never use a personal trainer again.

I felt like the trainer was a distraction instead of a help. I was taught a lot of exercises that required two people instead of workouts that I could easily repeat. I never felt like they had a good gauge on when I could push harder or needed to take it down a bit. Plus I'm an introvert, so having an hour where I can't escape another person who expects me to make small talk and eye contact and is watching me constantly is just draining. Add in the drilling over my diet, my non-trainer workout sessions, and the pressure to buy more sessions and I wasn't happy.

I think I would have had a better experience with a small group and a trainer overseeing us all.
  • Josh_2099
    Josh_2099 Posts: 2,073 Member
    I have only had one trainer and she rocked. She let me know why I was doing certain exercises and in the beginning I let her know my goals and she worked to get me toward those goals. I felt pushed by her and she helped me increase my running performance.
  • HappierMe1023
    HappierMe1023 Posts: 14 Member
    I have just recently started working with a trainer and for it has been a really great experience. I have heard good and bad. It all seems to come down to the trainer and not the training itself. From people I have talked to it seems that some big gyms have trainers who are more interested in making money than training. My trainer works for himself and is not affiliated with a gym. He works at the gym in my office building. He is a wealth of knowledge and takes time to explain things clearly. He also helps me understand what's going on in my body when it comes to being sore, eating issues, weight training issues, etc. For me it has helped keep me motivated because it has taken some of the overwhelming feeling away that I felt with the task of getting into shape.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    small talk and eye contact? Sounds like the trainer forgot that training sessions should have some modicum of intensity.

I have a strength coach right now. He's an animal. We get in and every session is balls to the wall pain and destruction for an hour.

He runs me through a hellish circuit where we hit every muscle group we can, at a level of intensity that has me keeping mental locations of the trash cans in case it's time for a puke break.

I gave him very defined goals, and specific milestones when I started working with him. I wanted an increase in dynamic strength, endurance and form related to lifting, as well as for some sports that I told him I enjoyed/would participate in to compete. Every session he works me to complete failure on tasks that will move me towards my goals, while keeping me balanced, and working for some good muscle development.

He's well worth the cost, and our sessions take place in a private gym, so it's always just him and I.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    small talk and eye contact? Sounds like the trainer forgot that training sessions should have some modicum of intensity.

Basically it was "hey while you are doing bench presses, I'm going to ask about your day, tell you about my girlfriend and why she's driving me nuts, and about my former military career all while standing way too close".

At least the second trainer had a few things in common with me.
  • ChrisUK70
    ChrisUK70 Posts: 54 Member
    I have many personal trainers over the years that I have made attempts to lose weight without address the root cause.

First one was a fat women (nothing against fat women) at a LA fitness and was rubbish, when I saw her I thought how can you train me when you are not what you sell also no motivation and weak knowledge.

Second trainer took 250 pounds of me gave my wife and me one session then disappeared of the face of the earth screwing over a load of people at Bannatynes,

Third trainer was good his knowledge was great he gave me multiple exercises for the different muscle groups and also chased me for sessions even though I had paid him already for a block. It was only the fact I moved out of the area otherwise I would use him again. I got results with this guy I put on muscle mass, but did not address my diet so did not really shed any weight.

I would say a personal trainer needs to have good knowledge and should be chasing and encouraging you.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    I had a great experience with a personal trainer at the YMCA. Told her my goals (get stronger, stop my knee pain, let me run without getting knee pain) and she worked on that. Before I started with her I had knee pain for 2 days after my 1.3 mile runs. After her (12 sessions in about 4 months), I was able to run without pain. I have now completed a half marathon. And I know what I need to do to keep the pain from returning.
  • EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    Private Gym. Experience with 2 personal trainers at the gym.

I. Explained that I wanted to do barbell program and that I use mfp. She was a past bikini competitor (I think) and she explained that after reviewing my stats that she had a planned program. We did a bunch of HIIT and machine work with a 15-12-8 reps. After the sessions I didn't feel like I learned anything (I know how to work machines and I'm so fun and do everything the personal trainer does because I naturally do a lot of cardio given my past as a running competitor).

II. The second personal trainer is in school for Pre-PT (Physical Therapy). Is running his own Cross Training program (not Cross Fit, but based on similar movements & class like routine). He sets up strength routines on a board at the weight area (WO of the week or daily WO). During the Cross Training I noticed he had really specific advice on form. I wanted to give barbell training another shot. I explained him the moves I wanted to learn and I wanted specific feedback on form. Best PT sessions I have and I'm doing well with 5x5 so far.
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    I've had two personal trainers. The first one really got me started with working out consistently, and guided me through a lot of my weight loss. He had me do circuit type workouts, a new workout every week (which I would repeat on my own between our sessions). He got promoted into management at the gym and dropped a lot of clients, one of which was me. I was pretty sad -especially after I figured out that he didn't stop training people altogether and I felt bad that I was one he chose to dump.

But I couldn't be happier with the trainer I chose to replace him. She also gives me circuit type workouts, but more emphasis on strength and flexibility (the first trainer never asked me about goals since it was obvious that I needed to lose a LOT of weight). The new one talked to me about goals from the beginning and we discuss weekly goals every time we meet. She actually looks at my food diary on MFP and talks about it with me, and sends me messages or gives me support on MFP between our sessions. She has helped me out of a very long plateau. Her style of seeming to really care about me as a person has been wonderful.

What I've learned is that I can be successful with trainers who work differently, but it sure is most enjoyable for me when the trainer feels like a friend (a friend who kicks my butt and won't let me slack off).
  • clarion_r
    clarion_r Posts: 53 Member
    Agree with making your goals clear. I've had personal trainers before but was very vauge about what I wanted so they couldn't really help me - which turned out well really. Becuase this time I was more specific about type of trainer I thought I'd feel comfortable with, and let him know what I wanted to do and where I wanted to be.

He's helped me with programs so I can be independent 2-3 sessions a week, plus one session per week where I work with him, get my *kitten* kicked and learn new things! So I've ended up with what I was after. I really, really enjoy it, and he's a great guy - very motivating.

So, if you can find a good trainer and be clear about what you want, you'll end up where you want to be!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    it probably wasnt personalized because you gave them vague goals like "toning and sculpting"

give them some actual goals to work on with you like being able to do 10 pull ups, can squat twice my body weight, can bench press my trainer, etc
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Personalized experience? Yeah right. I am obese and the woman who I had treated me like I was trying to tone up. She pushed me so hard on the first session that it took over a half an hour before I could breath again and I never went back.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    it probably wasnt personalized because you gave them vague goals like "toning and sculpting"

give them some actual goals to work on with you like being able to do 10 pull ups, can squat twice my body weight, can bench press my trainer, etc

A good trainer knows to keep working and get more specifics. Heck, just about everybody gives me the same goals at first. But you just keep asking more questions, do a fitness assessment, and often you can give THEM the proper goals. I get a lot more information from clients by asking them about their jobs, hobbies, etc then by asking them their goals.

Toning and sculpting? Sure--let me show you my "toning and sculpting" power rack. Works like a charm!
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    I think it depends on your goals. When I was losing weight my two trainers were very good at designing workouts that helped me burn calories and slowly build my flexibility and get me back to a person who could exercise without hurting and giving up. We started slow and worked on increasing weights and intensity.

Now that I have reached my goal weight and educated myself I chose to start lifting heavy and doing compound lifts. My trainer wasn't really able to help me with lifts beyond the basics. No real critique on squat form, focused too much on 15 rep sets, and didn't know how to correct form to get depth where it needed to be. He was honest about his limits and told me that I was not going to find that type of coaching in that gym.

I spent a lot of time watching videos, practicing, and lifting. Still fighting for depth and fixing form on my own I almost gave up. I made a last ditch effort to find a powerlifting coach. Turns out there is a world class lifter who owns a gym down the street. He was happy to coach me and after an hour my squat and deadlift made a huge improvement in form. The weights are lower but I know how to judge my own lifts. Best of all, he only charged $25 for the session. You can bet I am going back to him.

If you really want to lift, look for a powerlifting or oly gym and ask for help there. Amazing difference learning from a guy who squats 800+ vs a national chain PT.