162 grams of protein. really?

Options
liz77095
liz77095 Posts: 27 Member
I changed my settings to be 45% carbs, 30% protein and 25% fat. I really wanted to eat less carbs and see if that would benefit me. I was not shooting for extreme low carbs. It says I need 162 grams of protein. That seems high to me. Am I missing something?

If that is accurate, how am I supposed to meet that everyday?

I am not bodybuilding, just doing 2 to 3 spin classes, zumba and a strength class during the week.

Replies

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I ignore the percentages and aim for 110g protein (I weigh 128, so it's about 1g of protein per pound of lean mass, 60-70g fat, and fill the rest with carbs.

I don't do tdee, I change my daily calories depending on what activities I'm up to.
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    162g would be my lean body mass and i'm 6' 200lbs and lift heavy for size and strength....you don't need that much. I'd be inclined to agree with the 110g comment.
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    Don't follow it haha
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Well it depends on your goal, 162g of protein is a lot if your goal is 1600, but very reasonable if you eat 2400 calories, for example. Ideally you want to eat 1g of protein per pound of lean mass... I don't know your stats, but you want to lose 70 pounds, so 130-140g is probably what you need.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    So your daily calorie goal is 2,160? What are your stats (height, weight, age, TDEE, BF%, activity level), and what is your goal deficit?

No, that much protein probably isn't necessary, but it's hard to say without knowing ^^.

Here's some very good info on setting calorie and macro targets: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    You are going to be farting up a storm if you eat that much protein. I don't know your stats specifically but I'm pretty sure that is way more than you will need.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Unless you want to gain muscle .. then you do not need it. A good rule is 1 g or protein for 1 lb of lean body mass, but mostly for people that are interested in gaining muscle.

If that is not your goal .. you would be just fine with half that .. but the more the merrier. It will never do bad things.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Unless you want to gain muscle .. then you do not need it. A good rule is 1 g or protein for 1 lb of lean body mass, but mostly for people that are interested in gaining muscle.

If that is not your goal .. you would be just fine with half that .. but the more the merrier. It will never do bad things.

No....

The 1g per pound of lean body mass is, in a deficit, for retaining lean body mass...which is what will leave you leaner at goal weight. You typically cannot build muscle in a deficit. So I have no idea what world you got this info in
  • DeliD25
    DeliD25 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I was trying to determine my ideal protein intake and found this calculation.
    1. Weight in pounds divided by 2.2 = weight in kg
    2. Weight in kg x 0.8-1.8 gm/kg = protein gm
    The top end seemed high and the bottom end seemed low, so I averaged it which still seemed high but gave me a target.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    It doesn't seem outrageously high. I am eating 1700 calories per day and my protein goal is 170g. I am still very large and I eat 40% protein to try to keep my carbs a little lower. I could have increased fat, but I have trouble making my fat macro most days. I don't always meet my protein goal but I regularly get 140+ per day.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    You are going to be farting up a storm if you eat that much protein. I don't know your stats specifically but I'm pretty sure that is way more than you will need.

OP... eat more meat... easy

pshhh... i eat ~200 a day and i dont fart much at all. I ate nearly 300 grams of protein yesterday and didnt fart once.... thats mythical..

Some people do get gas from whey and when I started bulking I weas horrible for about 3 weeks. I mean I farted like 200 times a day when i was gaining weight deliberately.
  • liz77095
    liz77095 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I think I will go for less than suggested by mfp but keep it 110 or above and see how that works for me.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I changed my settings to be 45% carbs, 30% protein and 25% fat. I really wanted to eat less carbs and see if that would benefit me. I was not shooting for extreme low carbs. It says I need 162 grams of protein. That seems high to me. Am I missing something?

If that is accurate, how am I supposed to meet that everyday?

I am not bodybuilding, just doing 2 to 3 spin classes, zumba and a strength class during the week.

this sort of question comes up a lot. i wrote a quick and easy response to it one day and then archived it on my blog for future reference. this seems as good a place as any to post the link.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BrainyBurro/view/setting-your-mfp-macros-a-quick-easy-example-663914
  • gweneddk
    gweneddk Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Sure, it's possible. I did about that much for a few weeks and actually felt extremely satisfied because I had 5-6oz of meat at each meal, lots of egg whites, Greek yogurt, and cottage cheese. I typically had a protein shake most days too.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I eat in this range nearly every day and feel much more satisfied than I did in any other macro set up.
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I'm on maintenance but doing some heavy lifting. 1600 cals, 120g protein but can hit anywhere up to 160 a day. High protein yogurt eggs cottage cheese and chicken are my go to. I don't "fart" a lot, although I do seem to have a problem with a particular brand of protein bar so I avoid those where possible.