fat to fit runner?????how should I start?

I want to be a runner but im obese right now,,what should be my first steps?? Any suggestions? Should I wait till I lose weight or start now?

Replies

• marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    No time like the present!

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/beginners/the-total-beginners-quick-guide-to-running/24.html

That'll help get you started. Just do your best and aim for improvement. You'll be amazed how fast your body will adapt
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Just start with walking, daily walk of 30 minutes is a great start.
    Slowly add more exercise as you eat healthier and start losing weight.
    Just see how it goes, try to do cardio and weights, and focus on enough protein.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Couch to 5K :smile:

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

That's the UK version but it's my favorite!
  • MrsKGrady
    MrsKGrady Posts: 276 Member
    I agree...Couch to 5k programs are great!

Here's another one to check out: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • tashatashae
    tashatashae Posts: 311 Member
    Thank you.
  • momma2azoo
    momma2azoo Posts: 50 Member
    Couch to 5k is great. It is much easier if you have a good walking base and you are also much less likely to hurt yourself. If you can't already, work your way up to being able to easily walk a 5k. Then start the C25k program. Running is intense. Your cardio will adapt easily but bones, tendons, ligaments and muscle are much slower to adapt to the stress of running. Most running injuries are from over use (too much, too soon).

Get good shoes (from a running store, not a sporting goods store), go slow, stop if you feel pain. The slower you run, the better.

I've done c25k twice now (second time as recovery from a major accident). It is really a fabulous program. I'm currently running about 14.5 miles a week and slowly building my miles. All thanks to the program. I started running when I was obese. Still loosing weight and have running to thank in large part.
  • Just get out there and get started. But start slow.

Like the poster above me said, the first this you will want to do is go to a REAL running store (Fleet Feet, Luke's Locker, etc; NOT Finish Line or the Nike outlet) and get fitted for shoes. Your joints will thank you, no matter what you weigh. The shoes can be expensive but it will save you Dr. bills later so please don't just blindly buy ones because some fit chick online uses them.

April 2013 I couldn't even complete one mile without walking. By the time I could complete it my pace was 12:30's. By February 2014 I ran my first half marathon and I ran a second one in April in under two and a half hours (~11 min/mile). Like the other posters have said, you just need to get out there whether you do it with or without a plan. You need to be consistent and add distance slowly so your body can adjust. Its amazing how fast the miles add up. Throw in some headphones with music that really inspires you and pumps you up. Get lost in the music, run/jog/trot/shuffle how you want and walk when you need to. Don't get discouraged due to the hot weather either (not sure where in the world you are), I know now that the heat index here is up in the 100's my runs have suffered.

Good luck and welcome to the running community!!