Early Birds who work out

Options
If you get up early to work out (4-6 am), what kind of music/shows do you listen to/watch?

Today was my first 5 am workout and I had a hard time finding music to run to...my brain was still in quiet sleep mode and everything I tried to listen to seemed too "loud".

Also, do y'all drink your coffee/tea before you begin your workout, or do you literally step out of bed, put your sneaks on and begin?

I didn't drink coffee and found the first 30 minutes were hard....literally my body ached from not waking up fully I think---I usually need a cup of coffee before I can blink.

Replies

• marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 5am, immediately drink a bottle of water and have a protein bar. Put on my clothes, head out the door. Takes me about 20 min, get to the gym by 5:30ish. Start walking on the treadmill for warm up before hitting the weights. Definitely don't have any problem waking up. Listen to screamo/pop/rap mix right in the morning hahah. Then I have my shake right after I'm done, and breakfast at around 8 or 9am.
  • fitdaddy80
    Options
    I love listening to my favorite stations on Pandora on my phone as I run in the morning! I'm a big fan of "Capital Kings Radio" there and also "Lindsey Sterling Radio."
  • MrsBDPeterson
    MrsBDPeterson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    We put on our gear and head out for two miles powerwalking at 5:30 AM.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I am up @ 2 a.m. out the door by 3, in the gym at work by 4. Water on the way to work (45 - 50 minute commute), water while I work out. I watch movies while I am in the gym. I have it to myself. The only other people that use it, use it after work. I eat breakfast after I work out.
  • Anens630
    Anens630 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Yes, good idea about eating before!! 45 minutes into my run, I was hit with intense hunger--almost felt like I should stop b/c my sugars were getting so low---I am trying not to eat at night after dinner, so no food from 7 pm until breakfast...but today, my first morning run, I didn't eat and felt miserable...shaky miserable. I will eat something tomorrow for sure.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I'm usually up anywhere between 4:30 and 5:30, depending on my schedule.

I get up, get dressed, and am either pressing play or out the door before I know that I'm awake.

When I'm running I listen to the same playlists as usual and I drink my first cup of coffee when I hit stop or walk in the door.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:45 am and down 2 cups of black coffee and 8 oz of water. I do 10 minutes of stretching and warm up. I am out the door Between 5:15 and 5:30. I listen to Pink, Enimen, Maroon 5, Stevie Wonder, PitBull, Kelly Clarkson, Toby Keith and Dixie Chicks. My music is set to a fast pace for power walking.
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    I'm usually at the gym by 5:15. I listen to a variety of music, but save most of the slower songs for the end of the workout. I drink a protein shake before I work out, and have coffee when I get to work.
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    For the last few weeks, I have woken up at 6am, showered, drank 1 cup of coffee with creamer (total 70 calories) and 2 glasses of water, showered, gotten dressed, and walked for an hour while listening to an audiobook. Works great for me! I love the morning walks since it gives me a time to connect with myself before heading in to work.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Up at 530 usually on my first set at 6. I don't eat or drink anything or listen or watch anything... Lol boring.
  • sappy42
    sappy42 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Up at 5am, get my running gear on and warm up with some dynamic stretches before hitting the road for 5:30. I like it to be a light light out for safety but the sun not being totally up yet. I don't eat or drink until after. I usually just listen to my Pop/Hip Hop Workout station on Pandora. Anything up tempo.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    If I'm working out at home (like a JM dvd) I just get out of bed, pee, put up my hair, and get started-- no food or coffee, but maybe water before/during. If I'm going to the gym or park, then its coffee first, elimination (TMI?), then out. I may eat something as well, esp. before a long run, like a banana w/pb. The music for the gym is whatever the kids are playing, for a run its what ever is already on my mp3 player. Yeah, it may seem "loud" but it helps wake me up!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i drink a cup off coffee or two before working out. i find that i also think most music is pretty loud that early, and that i like the peace and quiet. i run, bike, and lift in the mornings without music. it's kinda great.

if i work out later in the day, i'll use music, but more to drown out the world. i find that it helps me tune out, and i don't even know what songs are playing.
  • avro001
    avro001 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    For my early morning workouts I do the following:

Sleep in my workout gear so I dont have to get changed
    Make a breakfast shake that I drink on the way to training which has a scoop of instant coffee added
    Listen to chill music while I get ready
    crank up the more intense music once im warming up (I kickbox so warm up is skipping)

Then I'm ready to roll!!
  • DanaHerro
    DanaHerro Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I listen to the same stuff I always listen to - Today's Country Radio on Pandora

I don't eat or drink a thing. I get up, put on my workout stuff and go.

Eat when I get home.
  • Spaghetti_Bender
    Spaghetti_Bender Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I usually get up at 3:30am and have a cup of sugar free apple sauce to give me some energy.........then i get to the gym around 4am, and then put my headphones on and crank some heavy metal/ hard rock tunes on my phone, and then get down to business.
  • tawny7
    tawny7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Alarm goes off at 5 AM I'm usually out of bed by 5:15 and out the door by 5:45.
    Sometimes I'll eat blueberries or strawberries on the way to the gym. I drink water with crystal light all throughout the day.
    After my workout I'll have a protein shake with just water...not the greatest tasting but takes the edge off until I can get to work to have my breakfast which is usually egg whites and string cheese.
  • tawny7
    tawny7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Forgot the most important part: MUSIC!!
    I've been listening to 30 Seconds to Mars while working out.
    :happy:
  • Adaniel65
    Adaniel65 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 4:45 am, M-Sat. alternating boot camp and weight lifting. I get dressed, drink a glass of water and eat 1/2 banana w/ a little peanut butter and I STRETCH before I go workout. I added the stretch once I recovered from my hip flexor injury I got from not properly stretching.

You should probably eat a little something before you work out to fuel the exercise... don't get in that mindset that you'll lose faster if you don't eat those pre-workout calories.

Once your up, stretched and fueled you should be awake enough to enjoy your playlist.

Oh yeah... don't forget to STRETCH
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Whenever I have been successful at working out it's been in the morning, I like DVDs because I get a better workout when someone else is setting the pace (currently my favorite is Cardio Combat Surge with Kimberely Spreen).

Most soundtracks tend to cheesey hip hop (I think Momma Says Knock You Out in every kickboxing DVD I have)

I set out my large water bottle (filled with ice and water) and a banana the night before and braid my hair. I take my smaller bottle of water to bed.

My alarm goes off at 4:00, I drink the smaller bottle of water, throw my clothes on and contacts in and head to the basement (eating the banana and grabbing the water) and do whatever workout is today.