Working out too much?

Options
I just started working out about a week ago. I do 30-60 minutes of stationary biking everyday, but I want to do more. I heard that it can be bad to over workout and some people can even gain weight from it. How much do you guys think is too much? I would like to increase my workout to about 90 minutes or more everyday.

Replies

• tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    You won't gain weight from working out more, that's just silly. Working out more could make you hungrier... which could encourage you to overeat though. If you're tracking your food properly, there shouldn't be a problem with lengthening your workouts.
  • gary241069
    gary241069 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    90 minutes of stationary cycling is perfectly safe. keep up the good work.
    A little suggestion. After you have finished your work out.
    Get a tin of food on each hand. Stand straight and head high.
    Then sway your arms back and forth in a marching order for 20 minutes
    Keeping your arms straight as possible. This way you don't neglect the upper
    part of your body that doesn't get used when stationary cycling.
  • ajusshigyu89
    ajusshigyu89 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    90 minutes of stationary cycling is perfectly safe. keep up the good work.
    A little suggestion. After you have finished your work out.
    Get a tin of food on each hand. Stand straight and head high.
    Then sway your arms back and forth in a marching order for 20 minutes
    Keeping your arms straight as possible. This way you don't neglect the upper
    part of your body that doesn't get used when stationary cycling.

thanks for the tip! I always forget about my upper body workout because i'm so worried about losing leg weight.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    When you first start working out, you *may* briefly see a small weight gain, but that is usually the muscles holding onto a little more water. Nothing to worry about.

Also, your body will pretty much target whatever fat it feels like burning - we cannot spot-reduce, so make sure you hit everything, so once the extra is gone, everything will be in good proportions.
  • chrs86
    chrs86 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I workout 90 minutes 6-7 times a week. I walk or bike to the gym which is a 10 minute walk each way. At the gym I do 30 minutes cardio and 1 hour of strength training. After awhile it's like second nature. I don't think you can ever workout to much.