started jogging, knees hurt, what to do?

Options
So I've started to jog 6 days a week recently and after 1 week my knees started hurting while running on the treadmill. I haven't done sports for a while so I suppose it was a pretty intensive start. However, I'm only 29 and not that overwheight (137lbs now, want to drop about 10lbs). Should I continue to run and see if my knees "adjust" or something or should I drop running. I really enjoy jogging

Replies

• thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    So I've started to jog 6 days a week recently and after 1 week my knees started hurting while running on the treadmill. I haven't done sports for a while so I suppose it was a pretty intensive start. However, I'm only 29 and not that overwheight (137lbs now, want to drop about 10lbs). Should I continue to run and see if my knees "adjust" or something or should I drop running. I really enjoy jogging
    6 days a wk is too often to start out. go every other day. if its good try run 2 and off 1. also make sure u have proper shoes
  • ingazar
    ingazar Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm just a bit worried to lose my enthusiasm, but I agree, it was a very intensive start. I'll try to go every other day and see if my knees heal.
  • sparkerxoxo
    Options
    I agree, 6 days a week to start is pretty intense. Shoot, even in my prime half marathon training I was only running 3 days a week. Your body and joints need to adjust so try and follow the 10% rule. If you aren't familiar, that means you only increase your weekly mileage by 10% each week. So if you ran 10 miles in one week, you should only do 11 the next for your total weekly mileage. This will prevent other injuries as well.

In the mean time, keep stretching your leg muscles out and foam rolling your IT band if you have a roller. Sometimes when your IT band tightens up it can cause knee problems. I personally have found tennis balls to work really well and are cheap compared to rollers.

Good luck and welcome to the running community!! :smile::drinker:
  • Radiah07
    Radiah07 Posts: 9
    Options
    I was running last year 3-4 times a week on pavement, grass and turf. I developed plantar fascitis. I would say take it slow. I have not been able to run in a year and I still miss it.:sad:
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Too much, too fast, too soon

^^ this, plus try some cross training, balance work, core so you are not just pounding on the front of your legs all the time. Every time you go out try to save a little for the next day.
  • twopeas2
    twopeas2 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Way too much, too soon :)
  • becky4m
    becky4m Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I agree, 3 days a week is all you need to start off.
  • japaneseboy
    japaneseboy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hey,

my situation was very similar. Jogging 6 days a week my left knee started hurting pretty soon.
    I realized that doing a form of HIIT (running at max speed for 30 seconds, then walking for 60-90) did, for some reason, cause me no knee pain.
    So i started alternating jogging on one day and HIIT on the next, sometimes multiple HIIT days in a row if i felt my knee hadn't healed sufficiently from jogging. I also supplemented this with doing the "Standard Core Routine" every other day.
    I just pushed through what little pain i still had and now (4 weeks later) i can jog every day (4km, 6 days a week) without my knee hurting. I suppose the muscles in my legs and my core just got stronger. I also might have tied my shoes too losely, not sure if that contributed.

But i had properly fitted running shoes plus orthopedic support and knew my form was okay. If you aren't sure about those three basic requirements I'd start with that.
    If HIIT doesn't help, yeah, you'll have to tone it down.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    i've had yoga instructors repeat this mantra "you can mess with the gods, but don't mess with your knees"

be kind to your knees. as others have said, maybe dial it back some so you can continue to run far into the future.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Another for too much too soon. Have a look at C25k programmes and do you have your shoes fitted after gait analysis? Wearting the wrong shoes can cause lots of problems.
  • danhuckle
    danhuckle Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've had arthritic pains in my knees for years and it's really inhibited my ability to run or jog for more than 20 minutes. I've started using an exercise bike in the gym and gradually increasing the resistance to build up the muscles around my knees. I've now incorporated uphill (10% incline) walking / running intervals as you burn more calories then on flat, might be worth trying?
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Take care of your knees.
    I'm older of course but my cartilage has gone, there is no way back only a knee replacement.
    I'm not saying this has happened to you, in fact it probably hasn't , but just take care.
    An xray if it persists is a very good idea.
  • jenny3008
    jenny3008 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Take care of your knees.

Can't agree more. I have an undiagnosed injury in both my knees just now the doctor believes it is a tendon or muscle injury which is aggravating or is aggravated by the osteoarthritis which has developed in them. I am waiting on a physio appointment for a proper diagnoses and treatment.

It has really hampered my training, I'm not to squat or lunge, do leg extensions, run or cycle. It hurts all the time be it sitting for too long, standing for too long, sitting down, standing up. You name it, it hurts to do it. I didn't realise how often I used my knees, I realise how stupid that sounds but they were just there doing what they did and now they are not.

I'm fortunate to have a fantastic PT who has put a lot of effort into finding ways we can still work out effectively without doing more damage
  • ingazar
    ingazar Posts: 5
    Options
    thanks all. I'll take it much slower from now on cause I don't want to hurt my knees in the long run. Will have to try the elliptical and maybe bike to remain active. My shoes should be good since I bought them in a small store with consultants who check your posture and walking first.