BF mamas - do you believe in free negative 500 calories?

Options
So I'm reading everywhere how breastfeeding easily uses 500 calories so you can adjust your intake accordingly. But since I've started tracking calories I haven't noticed that BF is helping to shred pounds in any way. I EBF my 4mo and started with 1900 for a couple of days - zero effect. I had to cut down to 1300 and start jogging every day - then I finally started losing weight, maybe 1-2lbs a week. Thankfully I don't see that my diet affects my milk supply in any way.
Just curious what is other moms experience in this?

Replies

• schelly81
    schelly81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    When I was BF I found the weight came off slowly but I didn't want to go below 1800 because I was concerned with getting the nutrients I needed for both me and my son. When I stopped I reduced my calories more and my weight came off easier.
  • rebeccaisafish
    rebeccaisafish Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Nope. I'm sure its true for some peopple, but I believe your body is doing all it can to NOT lose weight when breast feeding, so if we were to experience a famine we would have some energy stored to be able to continue breast feeding.
    I gained a lot of weight in the first year of breast feeding, and have really struggled to lose any in the second year. I'm just thankful I've stopped gaining.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I'm 7 wks PP. I don't add anything to my diary for breastfeeding. I have my calorie goal set to 1730 (0.5lb per week deficit) and well so far:

352j1js.jpg
    **Calories Out determined by Fitbit

what trendweight has to say:
    dlhiiv.jpg

***Honestly my weight dropping the way it is, is most likely from the fact that I ended my pregnancy with an Obese BMI and still have a lot of fat on my body.
  • ArchyRunner
    ArchyRunner Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I tried the "free" for a while and tried not counting it for a while. Eventually I just gave up and tried to eat healthy and stay active. Life as a momma is crazy enough without driving ourselves even crazier with stuff like this. My weight came off within about a year (EBF up til 6 months or so, after that mostly BF but she snacked, weaned at 18 months), but I'm still struggling to get rid of the body fat.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I would think it does at first, but then slows down as your baby gets older. I didn't count calories when I was breastfeeding. I ate a lot. I was very hungry. But, I was also extremely active all day and went to the gym.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    I think 500 is a bit generous. Maybe up to 300 in the first couple of months. I found that by about three months my body had adjusted and I could produce the milk without needing extra food. I kept to maintenance calories throughout but allowed myself to go over by up to 300 when I was super hungry (3-4 days a week, especially when bubs was six-ten weeks). I got down to pre pregnancy weight in two weeks and then dropped down another three kilos in the following four months.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I couldn't diet without it effecting my milk supply. I ate 2500 calories a day which is close to or above my current maintenance (but I'm more active now) and still had supply issues.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I couldn't diet without it effecting my milk supply. I ate 2500 calories a day which is close to or above my current maintenance (but I'm more active now) and still had supply issues.

I was the other way around. It was crazy (all the milk)
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options

^^ I also had this problem - waaaaaaay too much! Poor little fella would choke lol
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    I'm 7 wks PP. I don't add anything to my diary for breastfeeding. I have my calorie goal set to 1730 (0.5lb per week deficit) and well so far:

352j1js.jpg

dlhiiv.jpg

***Honestly my weight dropping the way it is, is most likely from the fact that I ended my pregnancy with an Obese BMI and still have a lot of fat on my body.

Wouldn't it be more rational to suppose that your weight is dropping the way it is because your calorie deficit is much larger than you think it is, possibly because you're not accounting for the calories your body needs to provide milk for your baby? According to the data you've provided, you've lost over 10 lbs in 2 weeks at a deficit of only 600-odd calories a day (not including a calorie burn for BF), which should only account for a weight loss of about 2 1/3 lbs in 2 weeks.

Edited to fix math, b/c I couldn't see the exact figure in OP's post for calculated average daily deficit while I was typing.
  • FlamingJune67
    FlamingJune67 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I EBF for the first 6 months before slowly introducing solids. I ate 1800- 1900 cals per day and weighed around 190 lbs when I started (5'8"). This was not some sort of pregnancy related weight gain... I had weighed 185-195 for about 10 years previous. I lost slowly - an average of 1 lb per week - but I was never hungry. I started when my baby was 4 weeks old, and reached my goal of 156 by the time she was 9 months. I never did lower my calories as I lost weight, because she was using more and more milk as she got older. I did no exercise either. These days, I have to eat under 1400 cals and exercise like crazy to lose that same lb per week!

I will say that I lost weight slower at the beginning than later on... probably because an 8 lb infant doesn't eat nearly as much as a 15 lb crawler! So stick with it... and encourage that baby to eat as much as possible! It's a lot easier than exercise ;)
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Some woman don't lose weight until AFTER they stop breastfeeding. That may be the case with you.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

^^ I also had this problem - waaaaaaay too much! Poor little fella would choke lol

I was just like a milk fountain.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

352j1js.jpg

dlhiiv.jpg

Wouldn't it be more rational to suppose that your weight is dropping the way it is because your calorie deficit is much larger than you think it is, possibly because you're not accounting for the calories your body needs to provide milk for your baby? According to the data you've provided, you've lost over 10 lbs in 2 weeks at a deficit of only 600-odd calories a day (not including a calorie burn for BF), which should only account for a weight loss of about 2 1/3 lbs in 2 weeks.

Edited to fix math, b/c I couldn't see the exact figure in OP's post for calculated average daily deficit while I was typing.

I should have probably mentioned that 7/8 was an odd high weight day. My weight had been fluctuating between 192 - 194 from 2wks pp to about 6wks pp (when I started counting calories).
    I'm not sure how much larger it could be. I don't exercise atm. I am constantly over my calories (yes I weigh with a scale and log everything that passes my lips). I'm getting less than 3000 steps a day on most days right now.

since I'm set at a 250 calorie deficit and if BF does burn an additional calories and using trendweights estimate of 661 calories more than I eat
    661-250 = 411 calories or so burned from BF

I purposely didn't add calories for BF, so that I could try for a 750 (250 from diary + 500 BF) cal deficit. If it started causing issues with milk supply I would of course stop counting calories all together.

Oh and on 7/8 my weight was 195, so I haven't lost over 10lbs in 2 weeks. I'm at 187 now according to scale weight. The trend between fluctuations puts me at 189.9lbs and had me at 192.3 (trend not scale) on 7/8. The difference between the trend (or I guess average) is 2.4lbs.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I sometimes believe in it and sometimes don't. Depends on the woman.

If I learned anything from my pregnancies and time breastfeeding, it's that everyone is different. I dropped my pregnancy weight very quickly, mostly due to postpartum anxiety/depression -- I could hardly eat. I still had plenty (!) of milk for my babies and they were fat and happy. None of that reflected what the doctors and books told me.

Beware of comparing your BFing calorie burn to anyone else's. I'd say eat sensibly when you feel hungry. If your baby is chubbing up and you're reasonably active and have a nutritious diet, my hat is off to you, Mama!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Some woman don't lose weight until AFTER they stop breastfeeding. That may be the case with you.

This was me. I lost weight easily after my first baby because he was FF due to my serious supply problems. After my second baby I couldn't lose weight to save my life, and if my calories went too low, my supply suffered. (We EBF until adding solids around 5.5 months, and I weaned him at a year. Today he is 14 months old, and I've lost about 12 lbs since weaning.)

Eventually I realized I'd have to make a choice between losing weight and BFing. Believe me, I was miserable enough staying fat that I considered quitting BFing but eventually decided that it was best for both of us to continue BFing, plus it would have been a slap in the face to me during my first postpartum experience when I wanted to BF so badly but couldn't. I finally made peace with it and stopped killing myself trying to lose weight and decided to wait until we weaned.

Point being, it could be that BFing --> no/slow weight loss. For others it means awesome weight loss, but it's frustrating when you're not in that group and annoying people (like my MIL) comment on how you're not thin yet. (That's not exactly what my MIL said, but she wasn't exactly kind about it.)

So for some 500 may be right on, or it even might be too little of a deduction for some. It's about 20 calories/ounce.

The fact that you can eat 1300 calories and keep your supply up and lose weight is great and all, but are you getting appropriate nutrients eating that little? Volume is only one aspect of breast milk. (I'm sure everyone's different in that department, too, but 1300 seems like way too little, IMO.) If you intend to stick to 1300 calories, make those calories as nutritious as possible!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    **Disclaimer: I've never breast fed, so this is my opinion with zero personal experience**

I would think that as long as you are meeting your nutritional needs and are not affecting your milk supply, I would go with a calorie limit that gives me a safe amount of weight loss every week. Maybe try to find a level that gives you 0.5 - 1 lbs a week. That way you're still losing, but less likely to affect your supply than a more extreme deficit that would get you 1 - 2 lbs.