Fishing

Options
FlashMorehouse
FlashMorehouse Posts: 138 Member
In defiance of all the stupid person above you threads:

Who likes to go fishing?
What is your favorite fish to catch?
Do you like eating what you catch?

Fishing is one of my favorite outdoor activities (especially if I am on the kayak).
My favorite fish to catch is all of them.
And I only like eating the good ones.

Replies

• FlashMorehouse
    Options
    And fish are not our friends, they are food.
  • combatbunny
    combatbunny Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I like to go fishing.
    One time I caught a stick.
    I don't like eating sticks.
    HOW MANY CALORIES IS A STICK. HURRRRR
  • DenDweller
    DenDweller Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I'm outdoorsy, but not into fishing. I'm curious though, how does fishing from a kayak work? Isn't it a bit unstable?
  • EmpireBusiness
    EmpireBusiness Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I like fishing. I like to see them wiggle around on my hook.

wwe-hires-diva-emma-hours-after-firing-her.gif
  • Pathend2
    Pathend2 Posts: 142
    Options
    What you did there: I see it.

I'd like to say fishing is fun, but I can't catch ****.
  • Whtmask
    Whtmask Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    In defiance of all the stupid person above you threads:

Who likes to go fishing?
    What is your favorite fish to catch?
    Do you like eating what you catch?

Fishing is one of my favorite outdoor activities (especially if I am on the kayak).
    My favorite fish to catch is all of them.
    And I only like eating the good ones.

I enjoy it just to be out on the water and relaxing though I've only gone fishing a few times and never caught anything. It would be nice to catch one regardless of the type lol. Though I would give it to my dad to eat because I'm not too fond of fish except tuna.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    <<<< How I catch a fish. I wouldn't recommend trying to eat it though.
  • pds06
    pds06 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    You sound like my son-in-law. He loves Fishing. He also has a kayak. They live in a condo in Bucks County PA and there is a large creek near them. He cleared an area put a fire pit and a chair and goes almost every day. Even in winter. Not sure what he catches but its nothing you can eat, I dont think? He takes my 2 Grand boys with him and their friends . The fish are huge,what ever they are. They send me pictures.
  • crikey_katie
    crikey_katie Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I enjoy fishing, not for anything in particular but here it's mostly catfish/bass. Catch and release, no eating the fishies because I don't like them lol.
  • hooligansailor
    Options
    Yep, I love fishing. It is a nice way to take the stress out of just about everything....and salmon fresh out of the smoker??? FABULOUS!
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I love it but haven't done it in a long time. Rainbow trout was a good outing for me and my dad.

But my real thrill was sea fishing. Tuna, sierra, dolphin fish, and only once - a marlin.

All tasty :)
  • Christineclendaniel
    Christineclendaniel Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I love to fish, I grew up fishing with my father. I grew up in Indiana and my family has a cottage on a lake so fishing happened very often. Sadly, I dont get to do it as much now. Something relaxing and exciting all at the same time. I like to catch catfish and bass...however I am a wuss and cant clean it myself. Now I do it for the sport and throw it back.
  • lildynarider
    lildynarider Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Well I'm a landlocked chica so deep sea fishing or any coastal fishing is out. Crappie fishing is my fav and my fav to eat! However someday soon I'm going bow fishing!! What's not to love about that hunting and fishing all in one. Ok I'll admit it I kinda like fishing for pan fish. They are always willing to bite and they put a fun little struggle.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Yup, love fishing, trout and salmon are my favorite to both catch and eat. My favorite method used to be with a fly rod, now I just can't get enough cold weather, I love pulling them through the ice.

Rigger
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I don't like fishing. Apparently my grandfather tried to teach me how to gut them when I was little (I don't remember this) and it was traumatic for me, but amusing for the adults. I have come to enjoy eating the fish I catch at the supermarket.
  • Sweetnothing78
    Sweetnothing78 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    This is a timely forum post for me. As a child I enjoyed fishing and by fishing I mean sitting in the boat and holding the fishing pole. What I didn't enjoy was killing worms to feed/catch the fish. I also didn't enjoy reeling them in, seeing them look at me as they were suffocating and trying to get away. I also didn't enjoy taking them off the hook, touching them, or seeing their faces hurt. I also didn't enjoy the smell of them coking or the way they taste.

Now here is my dilemma. I have three boys. They are 7, 4, and 2. I am raising them on my own. Their father used to fish with the older two when he was around. The last two years I have been able to appease them by taking them to a mostly fished out lake and letting them cast with the little practice things that came with the kids poles. This year however my oldest son actually wants to fish. So, not to get to far off subject, but how important is fishing on the manhood scale?
  • lildynarider
    lildynarider Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Important if they ask for it. Find a friend or family member that doesn't mind those things.It doesn't have to be a guy just FYI. My grandmother was the best fishing person I know. She hated the putting bait on part and the cleaning but all else was a go. She was mine and my brothers biggest fishing influence.
  • FlashMorehouse
    Options
    This is a timely forum post for me. As a child I enjoyed fishing and by fishing I mean sitting in the boat and holding the fishing pole. What I didn't enjoy was killing worms to feed/catch the fish. I also didn't enjoy reeling them in, seeing them look at me as they were suffocating and trying to get away. I also didn't enjoy taking them off the hook, touching them, or seeing their faces hurt. I also didn't enjoy the smell of them coking or the way they taste.

Now here is my dilemma. I have three boys. They are 7, 4, and 2. I am raising them on my own. Their father used to fish with the older two when he was around. The last two years I have been able to appease them by taking them to a mostly fished out lake and letting them cast with the little practice things that came with the kids poles. This year however my oldest son actually wants to fish. So, not to get to far off subject, but how important is fishing on the manhood scale?

Very high. I would suggest trying to find a Cast for Kids in your area.

http://www.castforkids.org/
  • FlashMorehouse
    Options
    Thanks for some great replies from most of you.

Regarding fishing out of a kayak, it totally depends on the type of yak. If you are using a kayak designed for rivers it would be difficult use for fishing. However most sea kayaks can be set up for fishing with reasonable accomodations.

Where kayak fishing truly comes into its own is with Sit on Tops better known as SOTs, with that said there are a significant number of Sit in Kayaks. Hobie Mirage Drives are generally considered the standard by which all fishing yaks are measured. While I probably wouldn't buy one even if I could afford it, I strongly prefer kayaks you actually need to paddle, I would not turn one down if offered.

My actual prefered fish to catch is silver salmon, but my favorite fish to eat is yellow perch or walleye.
  • Christineclendaniel
    Christineclendaniel Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Surprisingly, putting the bait on the hook was fine by me. But we would also hunt for our bait (night crawlers) the night before a fishing trip. I remember watering the lawn down during the day and going out with a flashlight to catch them. There was a technique to it and was almost as challenging as catching a fish.

Sorry, that wasnt exactly about fishing...just brought back some good childhood memories :) Thank you!