What are your thoughts on intuitive eating?

Options

Replies

• VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I think being on this site and others like it can skew your world view that everyone has or has had a weight problem at some point.

Whilst obesity is a growing and significant problem still the majority of people on the planet, even in the west, are not obese or overweight.

The majority of those people do not calorie count or diet.
    regarding the U.S. specifically:
    "Percent of adults age 20 years and over who are overweight, including obesity: 69.0% (2011-2012)"**

you were saying about the majority of the population in the west (in the stat above the U.S. specifically) not being overweight and/or obese?

**source: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/obesity-overweight.htm

That statistic is the US which is not the sole representative of the West. I am in Australia which has the fastest growing rate of obesity in the world and stands at 28%. I'm originally from the UK which has similar stats to the USA but is the heaviest in Europe., leaving a lot of Europeans who are lighter. In addition stats that include overweight rather than obesity can be misleading as it goes off BMI average and doesn't take into account those who are classed as overweight but have a high lean muscle to body fat ratio.

In any case the point I was making is that there a plenty of people who successfully eat intuitively throughout their lives without weight gain and without calorie counting.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    I’m currently trying to embrace a more relaxed ‘yogic’ lifestyle, part of this involves breaking down all my obsessive tendencies, including stressing about every morsel I eat and every step I take (e.g. my current thought patterns have tended towards the negative and I think things like: “am I doing enough?” “I shouldn’t eat this it’s bad/wrong/not good for me” “I feel disgusting because I ate something bad for me” "what's the point" "I'm fat and useless and will never be strong/fit/thin/healthy").

Anyway, aside from introducing more natural foods (I’m not ready to go entirely into a yogic diet which includes mainly raw food, no meat, nothing pre-packaged, no coffee, no alcohol) I’m looking into embracing intuitive eating rather than having a set in stone eating plan to follow every single day. I feel when I have a eating schedule and don't stick to it, it just encourages my negative thought patterns and I end up telling myself I'm a failure...

I would also like to get the point where I exercise out of habit, our bodies are made to move, I know this, but at this point I’m struggling so I’m taking things slow and focusing on my eating first. My mantra at the moment is: drop the drama, keep it simple, one day at a time, start small and give it my all.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on / experiences with intuitive eating? Does it work? Is there a good guide somewhere on where to start? Any tips on how to introduce it into your life? Can you still lose weight eating this way?

Share your thoughts!

I do think it's possible, if you are mindful, and make sure to keep track of your body size, either by weighing, measuring, or how one particular piece of clothing fits. I got to my goal weight range once and stayed there for several years without tracking, but at one point I was so depressed I didn't care any more and that lead to my regaining.

I'm obviously not there yet, but I do think I am getting to the point I may be able to do this. I will probably continue to track at least until I reach my goal weigh, but at this point, I often eat first and track later. I try not to eat out of boredom, and if I catch myself starting to eat too much, I stop before it becomes a binge. I do find it easier when I eat less carbs and more protein. In fact, when I do this, I will often think I have overeaten, but when I put in my calories, I find I haven't hit my max yet. I do do better some times of the month, than others....a few days during TOM....all bets are off. LOL
  • KeshiaBeard
    Options
    I think intuitive eating can certainly work but the likelihood is, if you had a weight problem in the past, mindful eating is probably a better starting point if you do not wish to progress with calorie counting. Although mindful eating and intuitive eating do have many similarities they are not strictly the same.

Mindful eating is where you do not count calories as such or weigh food etc but are conscious and purposeful the decisions you make when you come to food, portion control and so on. Once these habits become subconsciously ingrained you can transition to intuitive eating where you don't have to think about it any more and you can naturally maintain your weight.

I feel positively about both mindful and intuitive eating in the right context. Incidentally if you have athletic goals based around endurance events you could check out something like "Racing Weight" by Matt Fitzgerald to achieve your goals without the need for calorie counting.

Good point, I've never actually made the connection of mindful and intuitive eating being different...
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about how to wean myself off MFP for quite a while (ie about 400 days ago!). Due to a change in circumstances that has me eating on the move with nowhere to store food.

So looking back over my diary, I realised there was a pattern for keeping food under my TDEE whilst keeping protein levels up:
    2 main meals comprising 2-3 palm-sized portions of meat, 1 palm of veg and 1 palm of carbs (crackers, couscous etc),
    breakfast will be half a bowl of porridge with honey
    another lighter meal of 2 palms of meat and a portion of fruit
    one packet of crisps or a few biscuits.

This should have me hitting about 2500 a day, 130g protein.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,024 Member
    Options
    OP It is bollocks.

I don't think it is bollocks.

I know many people who intuitively eat - not by using the formal method but who eat the right amount to stay slim without counting calories or following any dietary restrictions.
    My daughter for one - she is around 45 kg and does not try to stay slim.
    My father is 75 and has been slim all his life without ever following any diet or restriction or counting of any sort.
    I managed this for many years myself.

In my observations, people who manage this are fairly active too - not elite sportspeople but just generally active sporty lifestyles.

Counting calories is a great tool, I use it myself - but its not something everyone needs to do to stay at a healthy weight..
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I got fat because I was eating when I wasn't really hungry.

But the problem is that satiety isn't relative to the number of calories in food. So people who eat junk food all the time end up hungry all the time... and that's how you gain weight. Or there are people who say that they eat 'nothing' but they eat a few very high calorie foods and end up stuffed when they switch to a healthier diet, and end up eating too few calories. Heck yesterday I didn't eat that badly, and I was starving all day and ended up having to go over. Yet last week I had 700 calories left for dinner and wasn't hungry at all...

So yeah, for people who have eaten this way all their life and are healthy... sure. For people with a weight problem it's a recipe for disaster IMO to only rely on that, because most often than not our hunger cues are broken.
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I don't think it would work for me as on busy days I can very easily not even think about eating and then I realise its almost 6-7pm and I've had nothing. Likewise on other days if I'm stuck in the office I would just eat constantly! Much prefer to plan ahead to make sure I hit my goals
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I think people forget that everyone's different - thus the many negative responses in this thread. Even the specific reasons and patterns that caused our being overweight are different. Read amusedmonkey's post above for a great example. That approach may not work for others, but it clearly works for her. Likewise, it is completely legitimate for the OP to search for alternatives, IMO.

Personally, I mostly log estimates. I don't obsessively weigh every apple and I don't log 0 calorie cup of coffee. For example, I eat 3-5 fruits a day, and I log 300 calories of fruit every day. Works for me because it makes no difference to me - emotionally or calorie-wise - if I ate 1,457 calories or 1,467. Or even 1,557! Given that I'm eating roughly 500 calories below maintenance, being 100 or even 200 calories off is completely insignificant for my goals. I am losing at my target pace, 4-6 pounds a month.

When I don't, it's not because I ate an extra heavy piece of chicken breast but because I spent a weekend with my friends drinking beer and eating pizza. But those things are a part of my desired lifestyle. What I had to learn was to recognize the impact of those events - and compensate for them. So I work out a bit longer and harder the next week and eat a little less. Most of the time, I will show no loss for that week. But the following week is business as usual, and I'll be down another pound or two.

OP, as a suggestion, you may want to consider this approach, or - amusedmonkey's - and see if it works for you. It may and it may not.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I think that way of thinking would work for me if I was living in the woods in a cabin with no job or any other obligations. Intuitive sleeping would work for me too. It's a dream world.

Unfortunately, my life is stressful and I have to work 60 hours a week and scheduling my meals and logging has to be part of my routine to stay on track.
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Intuitive eating and having babies got me here lol
  • katatoniczka
    Options
    Why not just eat according to your intuition BUT also log it afterwards...? This way you can see how much your intuition has you eat say for a week. If it has you say between your maintenance-300 and maintenance+100 it could work but if it's got you eat at a surplus, well, it's either some sacrifice or weight gain
  • darrensurrey
    Options

In my observations, people who manage this are fairly active too - not elite sportspeople but just generally active sporty lifestyles.

I was about to ask. So basically, it's not really intuitive but being active so they can "get away with it". Like when someone says, "Oh you're so lucky you can eat whatever you want" when the reality is that you bust your *kitten* every other day in the gym.

ETA: it's pretty much my formula now. Make sure I lift and do sports weekly.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,024 Member
    Options

I was about to ask. So basically, it's not really intuitive but being active so they can "get away with it". Like when someone says, "Oh you're so lucky you can eat whatever you want" when the reality is that you bust your *kitten* every other day in the gym.

No thats not really what I meant.

My father, for example, has never been to a gym or done anything deliberately for weight control, like gym going.

But he doesn't have a big appetite, doesn't eat much "junk food" and is generally active - ie does gardening, plays bowls, goes walking etc - just because he likes those things, not because he is aiming for weight control - ie the activity AND the eating is intuitive. Busting your *kitten* in the gym doesn't sound intuitive in the same way to me.
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    No thats not really what I meant.

My father, for example, has never been to a gym or done anything deliberately for weight control, like gym going.

But he doesn't have a big appetite, doesn't eat much "junk food" and is generally active - ie does gardening, plays bowls, goes walking etc - just because he likes those things, not because he is aiming for weight control - ie the activity AND the eating is intuitive. Busting your *kitten* in the gym doesn't sound intuitive in the same way to me.

But he's doing active stuff he enjoys. My ETA (see my earlier reply) is about doing stuff that's active and I enjoy doing - tennis, etc. I could remain slim if I did the sports I do. I do have a specific goal of developing muscle/my physique which means I have to lift/use a gym/practice gymnastics otherwise I could remain "slim" by staying active (whatever that takes).
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    I think being on this site and others like it can skew your world view that everyone has or has had a weight problem at some point.

Whilst obesity is a growing and significant problem still the majority of people on the planet, even in the west, are not obese or overweight.

The majority of those people do not calorie count or diet.
    regarding the U.S. specifically:
    "Percent of adults age 20 years and over who are overweight, including obesity: 69.0% (2011-2012)"**

you were saying about the majority of the population in the west (in the stat above the U.S. specifically) not being overweight and/or obese?

**source: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/obesity-overweight.htm

That statistic is the US which is not the sole representative of the West. I am in Australia which has the fastest growing rate of obesity in the world and stands at 28%. I'm originally from the UK which has similar stats to the USA but is the heaviest in Europe., leaving a lot of Europeans who are lighter. In addition stats that include overweight rather than obesity can be misleading as it goes off BMI average and doesn't take into account those who are classed as overweight but have a high lean muscle to body fat ratio.

In any case the point I was making is that there a plenty of people who successfully eat intuitively throughout their lives without weight gain and without calorie counting.
    Yes i specifically say, twice, that it is referring to the U.S. only. and you yourself included the terms obese and overweight .

While some people maybe seem like they can eat intuitively, i would argue that the majority of us are unsuccessful at it.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    You can care about your body and not *only* eat nutritious food.
    truth.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat according to your intuition BUT also log it afterwards...? This way you can see how much your intuition has you eat say for a week. If it has you say between your maintenance-300 and maintenance+100 it could work but if it's got you eat at a surplus, well, it's either some sacrifice or weight gain

That's exactly what I did :wink: I found my maintenance calories & a starting point to move either up or down the scale & I can't tell you how happy this makes me.

As a small 45 yr old woman, standing 5' tall, I was starving at 1200 cal, unsure at 1500 cal, & then had a change in work out routine, further muddying the waters. My goal is to lose 10-15#. I've lost weight at ~ 1400 cal/day but had trouble sticking to it.

This meant I traveled up and down the scale which is just frustrating.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I might try it after I hit maintenance and stay there for a few solid months. Then I can just watch the scale like a hawk to see how it goes. Definitely not something for right now, though.
  • decblessings
    decblessings Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have a history of disordered eating, so I tried intuitive eating briefly. I wasn't able to let go of the logging aspect, so I would still keep track of what I intuitively ate and then I'd log it the next day to see how I stood as far as my goal. What I found is that I was eating about at maintenance even though I was still trying to make an effort to eat at a bit of a deficit while listening to my body's cues. I think I could eventually eat intuitively once I reach my goal weight (I did for several years after losing 50+ pounds before getting pregnant for my third child) but I'd still log now and then to make sure I was keeping things in check. I just don't think I could eat intuitively and expect to lose weight.