DNA response types and to train strengths vs weaknesses?

Options
There has been recent research into DNA makeup and the body's response to exercise. It turns out that there are genetic markers which indicate where one falls on the effort vs effect curve of cardio interval training. A small number of people are non-responders, a small number are super-responders, and the rest of us fall somewhere between low and high responders.

Which is not to say that cardio isn't good for everyone, but that some people get more bang for their cardio buck.

There also appear to be similar genetic markers with response to strength gains -- some folks simply can put on muscle more easily. Those who are dedicated lifters often talk of being "hard gainers" -- those that have to work harder for the same result.

I was dearly tempted to send in my DNA along with the rather pricey fee to get such a test done. But the fact is, I already know. In my youth I was rather inactive, while my brother was on the track team. Despite his regular exercise and me getting no exercise, I was stronger. As long as I could remember he had better endurance. Kinda says it all.

Ok-- long preface, but I'm getting close to my question. Last year my wife and I did "Power 90" (not P90X) for almost six months. My cardio capacity certainly improved, but her's skyrocketed. She never broke a sweat on the "lifting" days (circuit-training) while I was winded and felt my lifting suffered because the cardio element kicked my butt.

I had foot surgery which put me out of the game for a bit, but now it is time to get back on the wagon. My gut tells me to do the cardio, but on strength days to skip the circuit and do traditional lifting. Its hard to know where the line is between succumbing to training your strengths vs your weaknesses. Looking for educated opinions -- not anecdotal bro science. The likely answer is that there are just too many variables -- including my personal goals - to say, but I figured it was worth throwing it out there.

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    TL,DR

Sorry, is that the thing that was on the Michael Mosley documentary? That said some people were 'super-responders' to HIIT training, not needing much more exercise than just a few mins to lower insulin resistance. It also said all people benefitted, just not to the same extent. That one was based on research being done at Glasgow uni.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Blah blah blah blah DNA blah blah blah blah.
    I was winded and felt my lifting suffered because the cardio element kicked my butt. . Looking for educated opinions

If you felt your lifting suffered from cardio, then do then separately.. unless your goals - which i don't know - dictate otherwise.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    So what are your goals? Good post except for leaving that part out.
  • lesspaul
    lesspaul Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    My goals are to undo as much of the damage done to my body as possible. The damage was/is being done by a chronic autoimmune disorders, more specifically, Dermatomyositis with "overlap" Scleroderma. You probably have never heard of either, because they are rare.

Both are basically the same -- the body's immune system goes on high alert and confuses normal body tissues with foreign invaders. Dermatomysistis is an attack of skin and muscles. Scleroderma is skin and internal organs. So I've got 'em all covered.

However, I am in a bit of remission. I don't know how long it will last, but while it does, I want to make hay while the sun shines.

I don't expect to get back on the ski slopes, nor again ride 100 miles on my bike. But I would like to be able to shovel snow, go for walks with my wife, and build a reserve for when the flares again rage and my abilities again dwindle. Complex? Yeah. I've already been told my post was too long. To address all the issues is more novelette length than short story. But that's the jist of it.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Since you have medical conditions, i'll defer to your doctor's advice. but generally speaking, when the goal is general conditioning, it's ok to separate weights & cardio if it means getting better performance with weights.
  • Chillyfrog
    Chillyfrog Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Hi Less, I can't offer any opinions on your question, but I can say I've heard of both of your diseases! I have both also so I know how difficult the whole exercise and weight loss is. Hope all is well and your remission is still going strong!!