I don't own scales or a measuring tape...

Options
...and I'm not sure I want to - does anyone else just go with how they 'feel' or how clothes fit?

I'm not desperate to lose weight fast or anything so I'm fine with experimenting for the next couple of months and seeing if I've lost weight when I next go to the doctor for my birth control pill (they weigh me every time me have a check up so every 6 months for me).

Or can this be risky? I don't want to accidentally be putting on weight though I'm sure I would realise?! Feel a bit nervous thinking about never having a weigh in or measuring myself.

Apologies if this sounds totally weird! :)

Replies

• besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    sounds good
  • jbrownnolan
    jbrownnolan Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Step 1 - Go to the Dollar Store
    Step 2 - Buy a measuring tape
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Not becoming a slave to tape measures and scales is psychologically one of the best things you can do. In my opinion! You'll definitely feel/notice it if you're putting on weight, and if you're losing as well. Go by how you look and feel, and how your clothes fit.
  • krennie8
    krennie8 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Even if you don't have a measuring tape and don't want one, you could make due with some twine or some other non-stretchy material. Or a belt. Just make sure and mark where you started so you can see what's changing.
  • GallifreyanGirl396
    GallifreyanGirl396 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    If that's what you want to do...it's your business. I don't use my scale too often. Whenever I notice a change in my clothes, I weigh myself. Plus, I get to log larger losses that way. haha Weight isn't the most important part though. I would suggest a measuring tape.

-Fabric measuring tape: $1.00-ish I've had mine so long that I can't remember.
    -Food scale: $8
    -Bathroom scales: $10+ depending how fancy you want to get. I bought one that measures: weight, bmi, bone density,and water weight. <<<not sure if I believe the last 2. Either way, it was less than $20.

If you don't want to use them, don't use them. They help to keep me motivated and on track though.
  • IrishGirlVA
    Options
    I've been struggling with the scale or no-scale question for a few weeks now. I own one but the last time I was trying to lose weight, the scale controlled me emotionally. My entire day's mood was determined on what that number said. I was so terrified of seeing a higher number. But on the other hand, when I saw a lower number (which was 90% of the time), I was motivated for the rest of the day to stay on plan! Even if that number was a tenth of a pound either way, I still let it dictate my mood.

This time around, I am going to start with letting my clothes tell me where I am. And every day I eat really good is another feel good day for me.

I will likely jump on the scale in about a month but until then, I'm just going with the flow and eating within my allotted calorie limits daily.

And I've never done the measuring tape. I just don't trust myself to measure in the same spot to get an accurate picture.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't rely on clothing because I'm about fitness/health/maintenance for life. I don't want to have to try on the same jeans for 20 years to make sure my weight isn't changing. Also, clothing gets stretched out. Sometimes, my butt is going to be more muscular and my clothes might fit funny. Things like that. Also, vanity sizes are real, so staying a size X for 20 years might not be an accurate representation of your weight.

Take the guesswork out. Give yourself all the tools you need to check on yourself. You don't have to weigh in every day.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals.

My trainer likes to quote another person, who's name escapes me right now, who says that it doesn't matter what the scale or tape or body fat calipers say...if you're not happy with your body in the mirror, then those objects are worthless anyway.

They can only tell you your trend. Take regular photographs with your phone. Save them. Do what you do. Take more pictures. Compare. Rinse and repeat.
  • JeanieBean1074
    Options
    If you can go without and see results and feel results then who cares if you are measuring your stats?! You know what you have to DO in order to feel and see results... and your opinion on this matter is most important. If you think you can do it without it, then you can!! If you feel like you need to see numbers to feel better about your results, then you better save to invest! :)

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!!
  • stellag1969
    stellag1969 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't own a scale or a tape measure either. That scale number means nothing to me. I do have a body fat machine, just to keep and eye on things every once in awhile. But I refuse to be a slave to a number on the scale.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options

QFT ^^

They have them at gas stations/convenience stores, too, typically.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I don't own scales. I go to my doctor's office to weigh myself roughly every 6 weeks. I do have a tape measure, but I'm not entirely sure where it is. I've measured myself once while trying to lose weight. I did that because someone made some costumes for me before I started losing weight and sent me my measurements so I could see how far I'd come. That was about a year and a half ago. It would be interesting to measure again and see where I am now.

I feel that by weighing infrequently, the whole thing feels like a lot more of a lifestyle change rather than some temporary condition that needs to be monitored. It's worked really well for me. I don't feel I would have had the success I have without that strategy.
  • glc1990
    glc1990 Posts: 22
    Options

I live in London so unfortunately Dollar Stores don't exist here :)

On a serious note though, a lot of you have said it doesn't matter whether I track my lbs/inches or not but some say it does... I can't quite decide whether I want to or not as I can get quite obsessive and beat myself up if I don't lose an expected amount of weight or inches every week or fortnight or whenever. At the moment I'm quite happy just tracking my calories but part of me says I should be tracking my lbs/inches too. Don't know!
  • glc1990
    Options
    I feel that by weighing infrequently, the whole thing feels like a lot more of a lifestyle change rather than some temporary condition that needs to be monitored. It's worked really well for me. I don't feel I would have had the success I have without that strategy.

I really like this - perhaps if I get myself into the lifestyle change properly for once (I have been a yo-yo dieter since I was about 13 years old) I can then start tracking if I feel I have to.

I really envy those who never track their weight/inches and genuinely don't mind!
  • glc1990
    Options
    I've been struggling with the scale or no-scale question for a few weeks now. I own one but the last time I was trying to lose weight, the scale controlled me emotionally. My entire day's mood was determined on what that number said. I was so terrified of seeing a higher number. But on the other hand, when I saw a lower number (which was 90% of the time), I was motivated for the rest of the day to stay on plan! Even if that number was a tenth of a pound either way, I still let it dictate my mood.

This time around, I am going to start with letting my clothes tell me where I am. And every day I eat really good is another feel good day for me.

I will likely jump on the scale in about a month but until then, I'm just going with the flow and eating within my allotted calorie limits daily.

And I've never done the measuring tape. I just don't trust myself to measure in the same spot to get an accurate picture.

It's as if you have stolen the words from my mouth :)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

On a serious note though, a lot of you have said it doesn't matter whether I track my lbs/inches or not but some say it does... I can't quite decide whether I want to or not as I can get quite obsessive and beat myself up if I don't lose an expected amount of weight or inches every week or fortnight or whenever. At the moment I'm quite happy just tracking my calories but part of me says I should be tracking my lbs/inches too. Don't know!

It's nice to have an impersonal measurement strategy when you think that nothing is happening. I'm sure London has shops where you can buy a tape measure for less than a pound.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options

You need to do what YOU are comfortable with, not what random strangers on the internet tell you. If you know you'll become a slave to your measuring tools, why not do just as you planned and just use your clothes to let you know how you're doing?
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    If you set a calorie and exercise goal that should work for your body, and you log your calories accurately, weighing yourself shouldn't matter. Be honest about what you put in your mouth and don't eat back all your exercise calories (they are estimated high).

I would go by a friends house and weigh before you start. If you have gained since your last check up you won't get an accurate reading when going for your next one and that may be discouraging. (doctors scales usually weigh you a little heavier than you are)

If you do all accurately and honestly, you should lose weight. Getting your starting weight will be important when you go back to your doctor. If you haven't lost anything by then, you may have underlying issues they can help you with.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people that go by the mirror only. I'm not one of them though, at least not when trying to actively lose weight. I use both scale and measuring tape.