Advice for exercising with a bad knee

Options
Two and a half years ago injured my knee (no idea what caused it, I stood up to get off the bus and a sharp shooting pain went through my left knee. My GP told me I was imagining it and shrugged me off as 'most people experience crunching in their knees' and told me to take ibuprofen.

Fast forward to January this year I accidentally hit the same knee on my bed footer and (having changed to a new doctors surgery) was sent for an x ray (to check for arthritis) and referred to a physiotherapist. Xray showed no sign of arthritis so physio progressed nicely.

I was diagnosed with a tracking issue and flat feet. I've gotten to the point where my knee rarely hurts anymore whereas before physio it was extremely painful going up and down stairs.

Physiotherapist has disacharged me and has said I can get back to exercises but nothing involving high impact, squats or knee bends as that is what aggravates the knee.

A lot of what I've seen on here includes heavy lifting and running to get the best results.

I've managed to build up to jogging for about 15 minutes before my knee hurts but I was wondering if anyone could advise me on alternative exercises? I can't use cross trainers or rowing machines at the gym because of the knee movement.

Walking and jogging (well, less jogging than walking but hey it's all positive if its more than I did before!) is all I'm doing right now and I feel ready for something more!

Thanks for reading, if any of what I've said makes no sense I apologise but kinda nervous with my first post!

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I'd get another opinion just to be sure - being told to not do any "knee bending" exercises seems to be excessive. I have knee tracking issues and wear a J brace to keep the knee aligned while lifting. Swimming is a good option, but I'd def get a second opinion about the rowing and bicycle. What exercises did he recommend since he was so limiting in your options?
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    It's ok to not do heavy lifting or running for the time being since you're dealing with a knee injury. I have tendinitis in my knee so when it flares it knocks out all my favorite workouts.

Do you have access to a pool? Swimming is very low impact. I find that the elliptical doesn't aggravate me in the same way but that might be too much bending for you?
  • Panthers89
    Panthers89 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I take a spin class once a week to lower the impact on my knees. As another poster suggested, if you have access to a pool, swimming is a fantastic exercise. Good luck!!!
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I want to get in on this since I have similar problem.

And, for the record, swimming is not an option. I can't spend money on going to a pool. I have one gym membership, I have a bicycle and I own a home rower.

I need suggestions for someone who will not be able to spend money going to differnent activities.

OK....and..... GO!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Physiotherapist has disacharged me and has said I can get back to exercises but nothing involving high impact, squats or knee bends as that is what aggravates the knee.

I've managed to build up to jogging for about 15 minutes before my knee hurts but I was wondering if anyone could advise me on alternative exercises? I can't use cross trainers or rowing machines at the gym because of the knee movement.

Jogging is high impact.

Instead of avoiding using your knee you need to strengthen the supporting system for the knee. I tore my MCL and my knee used to frequently pop out of place. Here is a great exercise you can do at home on the stairs, starting with no added weight and eventually adding dumbbells. It's called a Peterson Step Up.

http://youtu.be/UUYBhnN6IJA
  • tinypinkfruitbat
    tinypinkfruitbat Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I shall definitely get myself down to the pool at least once a week :) If anyone has a problem with seeing me in a bathing suit they can look the other way XD

I think I will go for a second opinion regarding the rower and elliptical. I have used tape when I first sarted doing the exercises which healed the knee pain which helped a lot, I may get some of my own (it was borrowed) and just try th emachines to see how I go. The fact that I can jog when she didn't think I'd be able to makes me think that I can push myself more than she expected.

The physio did tell me that if I ever have the option of stairs of the lift to take the lift to avoid further injury. Perhaps she is being overly cautious I don't know :/
  • karenMcMillan0712
    karenMcMillan0712 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I want to get in on this since I have similar problem.

And, for the record, swimming is not an option. I can't spend money on going to a pool. I have one gym membership, I have a bicycle and I own a home rower.

I need suggestions for someone who will not be able to spend money going to differnent activities.

OK....and..... GO!

Yoga is a excellent source of exercise-And you can find poses on you tube-I started years ago at home-Now I go to a class for 45 dollars for 5 classesd-But I also do it at home
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I shall definitely get myself down to the pool at least once a week :) If anyone has a problem with seeing me in a bathing suit they can look the other way XD

I think I will go for a second opinion regarding the rower and elliptical. I have used tape when I first sarted doing the exercises which healed the knee pain which helped a lot, I may get some of my own (it was borrowed) and just try th emachines to see how I go. The fact that I can jog when she didn't think I'd be able to makes me think that I can push myself more than she expected.

The physio did tell me that if I ever have the option of stairs of the lift to take the lift to avoid further injury. Perhaps she is being overly cautious I don't know :/

I don't understand why someone would suggest avoidance. You may not hurt it again, but you aren't trying to fix it. I have had tons of lower body injuries and am 50% disabled. The therapist at the VA told me I would need a cane within a few years and a walker after that. I found a personal trainer who wasn't okay with me just falling apart and he helped fix my issues through therapy and strength training. Four years after being doomed to a cane by the VA I barely have a limp.
  • tinypinkfruitbat
    tinypinkfruitbat Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why someone would suggest avoidance. You may not hurt it again, but you aren't trying to fix it. I have had tons of lower body injuries and am 50% disabled. The therapist at the VA told me I would need a cane within a few years and a walker after that. I found a personal trainer who wasn't okay with me just falling apart and he helped fix my issues through therapy and strength training. Four years after being doomed to a cane by the VA I barely have a limp.

Wow, that's inspiring. If you can get to that point through hard work and the right trainer then I'd be a fool not to give it my best as well! Thanks for the perspective on the situation
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    hm, that step up is nice.