Fitbit, or wait for Amiigo?

Options
Thoughts?

Replies

• eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Great question! I am wondering too.. anyone have any info?
  • PapaChanoli
    PapaChanoli Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Great question! I am wondering too.. anyone have any info?

I've followed their Facebook page and a Facebook user group for a while now. The longer I watch, the less confidence I have that Amiigo is going to pull this off well. They're shipping with bugs, even after all of this time. At this point, I'm willng to speculate that by years end another manufacturer of trackers will come out with a fully functional, very similar device concept just in time for Christmas and blow Amiigo out of the water.

That's too bad too. I'd rather support a little with an awesome concept, but the price point is not so low that I can afford to experiment.
  • Cardio4Cupcakes
    Cardio4Cupcakes Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    As a personal opinion I never buy anything that's brand spanking new. I like having a resource to fall back on (forums, help guides, etc) from people who may have already experienced the issue.

If I were you, I'd pick up a Fitbit off eBay or craigslist, and once the Amiigo is out and used and has the bugs ruled out, if you're still interested I would buy it.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    The amiigo looks pretty cool, but the thing that makes FitBit so much better than the competition is the supporting software. Before myFitnessPal matured a bit, Fitbit was actually the very best website I had seen for tracking food, activity, etc. It is still quite good. I've seen a lot of other devices that have great hardware, but the apps and website are nowhere near as good. The lumo devices come to mind.

I do think fitBit is a bit stagnant, technology-wise. I hope they catch up to what's happening out there.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I really like my Fitbit Force. I wasn't having an issue with the recall, but sent mine back to see what they could do to improve the unit. The ONLY thing I want FitBit to include is paring with a HR monitor. That would be complete then. I know they are working on it. :)

The issue with the Amilgo is it has no display for feedback during workouts, unless you want to also carry your phone and try to look at it. It was the same when I got the Garmin Vivofit, which DID have a display, but didn't show you any real-time stats for a current workout. How would you know how long you had been exercising, distance, calories burned, etc. The FitBit give you that real time feedback which I love.

I can say, FitBit is coming out with a few new devices that will fit the complete bill...but no time frame can be given.

All the best.
  • PapaChanoli
    Options
    As a personal opinion I never buy anything that's brand spanking new. I like having a resource to fall back on (forums, help guides, etc) from people who may have already experienced the issue.

If I were you, I'd pick up a Fitbit off eBay or craigslist, and once the Amiigo is out and used and has the bugs ruled out, if you're still interested I would buy it.

I like this idea. Waterproof is an issue for me though because I swim a lot, but I usually only log a very small percentage of my time in the water as it's mostly for fun with my kids, relaxation and occasional laps; so the burn is extremely variable.

I'm in total agreement with not wanting a product until it's passed through the gauntlet of user reviews and experience.
  • Eoghann
    Eoghann Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    The Fitbit is available now and works as advertised.

There's always something better around the corner so waiting for the next thing just leads to never getting anything.
  • Jonalee1977
    Jonalee1977 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    The thing with Amiigo right now is that the Indiegogo backers are technically beta testers, hence the issues a lot of people seem to be having. I had been waiting forever on the Amiigo and was planning on it being THE fitness tracker for me. However, the longer I waited the more unconvinced I was. I received my email that my band was ready for purchase (for almost $200) and I turned it down. I decided to go with the tried-and-true Fitbit One and have absolutely no complaints. I use my Polar FT7 during my workouts and wear my Fitbit 24/7. I think by the time Amiigo is ready to market there is going to be something bigger and better out.
  • PapaChanoli
    Options
    I really like my Fitbit Force. I wasn't having an issue with the recall, but sent mine back to see what they could do to improve the unit. The ONLY thing I want FitBit to include is paring with a HR monitor. That would be complete then. I know they are working on it. :)

The issue with the Amilgo is it has no display for feedback during workouts, unless you want to also carry your phone and try to look at it. It was the same when I got the Garmin Vivofit, which DID have a display, but didn't show you any real-time stats for a current workout. How would you know how long you had been exercising, distance, calories burned, etc. The FitBit give you that real time feedback which I love.

I can say, FitBit is coming out with a few new devices that will fit the complete bill...but no time frame can be given.

All the best.

Thanks for the input. I like the fitbit force. For me, I don't like watching my pace when I work out and I'm ok with the lack of built in display, so that's not an issue with me for Amiigo.

Still, I think waiting for this technology to develop a little further and waiting for a competitor to grab Amiigo's concept and improve it may be the best path. At this point, Amiigo may just turn out to be a little company that verified the market space and price points for the bigger companies.

Edit to include: I like the advice to pick up a fitbit on craigslist or eBay while the upgraded tech filters into the marketplace.
  • teemama2
    teemama2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have used my fitbit flex since October of 2013. Wouldn't change it for the world!
  • littlefoot612
    littlefoot612 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I've been considering the Fitbit One over the Flex but have never heard of Amiigo before.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I have the dreaded FItbit rash (after 7 months of use) ... so I am letting it sit and die a painful death.

I have heard good things about the new Fitbit model(s) and I am sure that they are going to fix the problems of the current models .. so I am waiting to see what happens.

The Amiigo seems to have a similar wristband to the crappy Fitbit one .... sorry failure. Like don't manufacturers read up on the competition ? Guess not.

Like sorry I am not going to buy a tracker that I will lose in the first day .. ie like the Fitbit.
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit one and I LOVE it. I looked up Amiigo, since I have not heard of it. It looks amazing! I would consider buying it in the future.
  • Early_Riser
    Early_Riser Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have the flex, which I love. That being said, the Amiigo functions look awesome so I may give it a shot
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I like the fitbit force. For me, I don't like watching my pace when I work out and I'm ok with the lack of built in display, so that's not an issue with me for Amiigo.

Then I would definitely look at the Garmin VivoFit. It is waterproof/resistant, connects to a HR monitor, and the battery life is about a year. ONLY thing aside from no real time exercise tracking that killed it for me was, no display light so you can barely see it in dark environments. Worth a look though. Same with the MiCoach Fit Smart coming out as well.

Lots to choose from. :) I still use my MotoACTV to this day, but have to charge it daily so 'tis why I have been trying all kinds of different units the last year.

*edit to mention that while the Garmin web interface is decent it didn't NOT sync with MFP like FitBit does, which I used and liked.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Amiigo seems to keep changing dates as to when they will actually be shipping the next batch, I got an email months ago saying they were being sent out and then nothing.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I have both Fitbit Flex and Garmin Vivofit. They both have their pros/cons for me anyhow;

FITBIT FLEX
    Pro: Great app and web interface, silent alarm
    Con: Limited display, short battery life, not waterproof.

GARMIN VIVOFIT
    Pro: Great display, waterproof, long battery life (1 year), HRM intergration
    Con: Immature app/web interface, no silent alarm, lack of backlighting for display
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options

Then I would definitely look at the Garmin VivoFit. It is waterproof/resistant, connects to a HR monitor, and the battery life is about a year. ONLY thing aside from no real time exercise tracking that killed it for me was, no display light so you can barely see it in dark environments. Worth a look though. Same with the MiCoach Fit Smart coming out as well.

Lots to choose from. :) I still use my MotoACTV to this day, but have to charge it daily so 'tis why I have been trying all kinds of different units the last year.

*edit to mention that while the Garmin web interface is decent it didn't NOT sync with MFP like FitBit does, which I used and liked.
    It now syncs with MFP like Fitbit which was a welcome addition..finally.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting for the rumored Windows smart watch that (it's said) will be similar to the Samsung Gear, with some extras, like continues HR monitor.

"The device will draw on optical engineering expertise from Microsoft’s Xbox Kinect division to continuously measure heart rate through the day and night, according to multiple sources with knowledge of the company’s plans, while the battery will last for two days, roughly on par with Samsung’s Gear Fit."

"Crucially, it appears the smartwatch won’t just tie in with Windows Phone devices, but will also work with both iPhones and Android smartphones."

Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/parmyolson/2014/05/29/exclusive-a-microsoft-smartwatch-is-coming/
  • hopingtoloseweightthistime
    Options
    I have the Fitbit and I like it. I would replace it for a model with a watch which I think would be more useful. Pity the Amiigo doesn't have one either ...