How did your doctor tell you you're fat??

Options
I recently switched family doctors. Why, you ask? Well, I went in for an unrelated issue - one that still had me wearing the paper gown - and my doctor said to me when she lifted it up "Oh wow, you have a small face but such a big body". Then proceeded to prescribe me weight loss pills (which I never filled the prescription for). Unbe-freakin'-lievable. I am obviously quite aware of the fact that I am 50 - 60 lbs overweight. I found this to be quite rude and made me feel absolutely horrible and ashamed. I'm just wondering how other people's doctors "broke the bad news". Ha

Replies

• ToughMudderAddict
    ToughMudderAddict Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Holy crap! That doctor has some horrible bedside manners! Good for you for making a change in physicians.
  • xxval21xx
    xxval21xx Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Its funny that you said that because in my case my family doctor has never even mentioned anything about my weight... She takes my blood pressure and weighs me and all but never even talked about weight loss or how close i am to become diabetic or having other medical conditions relating to my weight. I guess ive been dodging a bullet for quite some time as I am considered morbidly obese yet my health is in good condition.. thank god i decided this was it and i need to change
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I recently switched family doctors. Why, you ask? Well, I went in for an unrelated issue - one that still had me wearing the paper gown - and my doctor said to me when she lifted it up "Oh wow, you have a small face but such a big body". Then proceeded to prescribe me weight loss pills (which I never filled the prescription for). Unbe-freakin'-lievable. I am obviously quite aware of the fact that I am 50 - 60 lbs overweight. I found this to be quite rude and made me feel absolutely horrible and ashamed. I'm just wondering how other people's doctors "broke the bad news". Ha

oh my god. not only was this super rude but irresponsible to tell you to take drugs that could ultimately cause you to have a heart attack or death. horrible. I would have had some choice words and then quit them. It is unhealthy for you to be overweight but you have the right to be treated like a human being.
  • Pammeycakes55
    Pammeycakes55 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I changed doctors because he never mentioned my weight. He would only take my blood pressure and weighs me. I am the one that brings it up, and he just says "try the Atkins diet". The thing is, I did and lost about 20 lbs, but would always feel hungry and have the shakes if I got too hungry. Same thing as xxxal21xx, he never really discussed anything else. Therefore, I went to a new doctor, an internest, and she LISTENED to me. I told her all my concerns, and she did lots of blood work. When I went back for results, she then told me I was "insulin intolerent". My BMI was 36. She knew I was overweight, but didn't say it in an ugly way. Besides, that's why I went to her.......because I KNEW I WAS FAT, and I wanted help in loosing it. So, she is helping me with that in Nutrtritional Counceling. At my age, (59), I was starting to have problems, and I needed to get some help with loosing this unwanted weight! I wish you well with your new doctor I am so thankful I found mine! :-)
  • Pammeycakes55
    Pammeycakes55 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you! Not very responsible and definitely rude!
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I was a 21-year old, very shy, very private, virgin going in for my first ever ob/gyn exam. Even after being informed of my inexperience, the doctor didn't bother making the exam even remotely less embarrassing, degrading, uncomfortable, or painful. After the exam, she then proceeded to berate me for a half hour, in front of my mother, about my weight.

It was 10 years before I saw another doctor.

I now see my endocrinologist every 3 months, and when he makes mention of my weight, he does so gently, but always has a lot of information to give me as well. He doesn't sit there and preach at me, he gives me the tools I need to get healthy, and gives praise when I've made improvements.
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    My doctor didn't need to tell me. I already knew. When he put me on Metformin that was the red flag to do something. having diabetes in my family history along with heart disease, I didn't want to be my grandfather dying at age 58 from his diabetes. :bigsmile:
  • PaulaKac
    PaulaKac Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    In November 2013, I weighed 384 pounds at the doctor's office. My doctor sat down across from me and told me I needed to lose some weight, the same talk we had had 6 months earlier. She told me I should work on not gainning anymore by our next appointment, that in itself would be an accomplishment.

In May 2014 when I returned to the doctor I had gained 16 pounds, 400 pounds. I know she saw in my eyes the hurt and humiliation I felt.

She sat down across from me, took my hands in hers, and asked how could she help me. I cried and we talked for awhile.

She told me about this awesome website called MyFitnessPal.com. I've logged on everyday since, good days, bad days all days. I'm so glad she did. I'm eatting healthier and I've lost some weight. I know this journey will be long and sometimes difficult, but I will succeed.

Just watch me :-)
  • doctorregenerated
    doctorregenerated Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    In November 2013, I weighed 384 pounds at the doctor's office. My doctor sat down across from me and told me I needed to lose some weight, the same talk we had had 6 months earlier. She told me I should work on not gainning anymore by our next appointment, that in itself would be an accomplishment.

In May 2014 when I returned to the doctor I had gained 16 pounds, 400 pounds. I know she saw in my eyes the hurt and humiliation I felt.

She sat down across from me, took my hands in hers, and asked how could she help me. I cried and we talked for awhile.

She told me about this awesome website called MyFitnessPal.com. I've logged on everyday since, good days, bad days all days. I'm so glad she did. I'm eatting healthier and I've lost some weight. I know this journey will be long and sometimes difficult, but I will succeed.

???? Love this! Made me cry but in a joyful hopeful way.
  • ddkphotos
    ddkphotos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    been seeing my gp for about 20 years - love him - but about 5 years ago I asked him - how come you never weigh me and we never discuss my weight... I was very proud to get on the scale at 180 this week - lowest I've been in 25 years... but honestly - he should have been gently nudging the conversation towards diet and exercise many moons ago...
  • dgoupil66
    dgoupil66 Posts: 17
    Options
    During a physical he said "you know, based on your BMI, you're classified as obese. Are you doing anything about it?"
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    The only time a doctor said anything to me was when I was about 13 - he looked at my chart and said very bluntly "You're undertall and overweight". At 13 I was already very sensitive about my body and was aware I was a bit overweight, but he could've been a bit gentler about it.

And what did he expect me to do about the height? :grumble:
  • Leah_62803
    Leah_62803 Posts: 292 Member
    Options

Made me cry! What a wonderful, compassionate doctor! You are very lucky.

My doctor hasn't said anything...which is kind of a let down. I know I'd be embarrassed but maybe it would have helped.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    one doctor said "now its time to get on a high fiber low fat diet"
    my chirpractor said "now its time to work on your weight"

they seem to like saying now its time. its time.

i was excited that this time when i got a new family doc i beat him to the punch. i said "i have severe lung problems in the winter but it may be a little better now because i can run on the treadmill for an hour without being winded and also i lost 25 pounds (at the time).

and he said

"Good. "
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    When I weighed 290 at the doctor he told me he would like to see me lose 30 lb. haha

Honestly though for ME that was perfect. I knew I could do that. If he had gone on a big tangent about my weight I probably would have ignored him totally.

Started MFP at 262 as a result.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    My doc said "You're fat. You need to lose weight. Do you know how, or do you need my help?"

Honest. Straight-forward. Helpful.
  • missbethea
    missbethea Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    My family doctor has never said anything. However, a few years ago I was diagnosed with Bipolar disorder and the psychiatrist and I were talking about the possibility of medication and he very gently and politely pointed out that the one he chose has the least side effects and- "The least amount of weight gain when taking the drug."
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

???? Love this! Made me cry but in a joyful hopeful way.

I cried too. <3
  • GuineaPiglet
    GuineaPiglet Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My doctor has never mentioned me being overweight, even though I'm technically about 40 lbs over, which is obese at my height. I brought it up to him about six months ago, and he was very compassionate and recommended many things to get back on the right track. Weight loss pills were NEVER mentioned.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I made an appointment to talk to her about it. I knew I was too fat. But It still took me about a year to do anything about it.