How to quit/wean yourself of pop/soda?

Options
I know for me that I was most successfull previously with weight loss when I hadn't had any pop (I'm from MN, get over it) in over a year. The weight seemed to slide off more easily. But at somepoint when things started going downhill I picked up the nasty habbit of drinking the delicious bubbly drink filled with unnecessary caffine. In other words, I am addicted. I have no idea how I did it before, but I can only go maybe two or three days without the sugary drink before I give in.
How did you people do it!? How did I ever do it?

Replies

• shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Grab a diet version of the same pop or a stevia sweetened bubbly water?
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda. Remember one thing: you lose weight from a calorie deficit. Maybe quitting soda was significant enough to cause you to create that deficit but soda alone was not the culprit.
  • JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking pop 2 months ago. It was really hard at first. I started out with some headaches and took some advil for those. Those only lasted a couple of days. But then I craved the sugar and the fizz. I allowed myself one poweraide a week and eventually I stopped craving the sugar for it. I still wanted that fizz though. So I got cans of carbonated water. They have some that are flavored with nothing in them. Canada Dry makes some and then there is another brand called La Croix that is really good. I like their lime flavor and LOVE the coconut one. I wouldn't let myself drink a pop no matter how bad I wanted one because I knew how many calories were in just a can, and I rather eat those calories than drink them.

I had a can of Dr. Pepper last Monday. It was my 2 month anniversary for no pop. I only drank it because my boyfriend's mom said we needed one after her mom's funeral (there was no booze in the house). I was so scared I was going to start wanting it all over again, but it actually didn't taste good to me at all. It wasn't refreshing like the carbonated water. The sweet didn't bother me, as really sweet stuff usually doesn't, but it was just MEH to me. Now I have no desire to drink it.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Seltzer water. I am not a fan of soda. I just don't like it. Seltzer gives me the fizz without the added calories and sugar.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Hey neighbor (North Dakota, here!) Why don't you try just weaning yourself off soda gradually? It can be REALLY difficult to quit sugar, and caffeine, and with soda it's a double whammy so you will get headaches/withdrawal bad. My husband does. For a week try drinking a bit less each day - like how much do you drink a day? Like for instance if you were doing 3 cans of pop, try just having two and replace the other one with some water. The following week cut back a bit less.
  • mkdm291
    mkdm291 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Flavored seltzers are a great substitute!
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I put a stop to my pop/soft drink consumption after reading this in university:
    http://www.wnho.net/soft_drinks_hard_facts.pdf

I weaned myself in 3 weeks. The withdrawal headaches were hard; I would never look back.
  • bidimus
    bidimus Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    For me it was easy. Soda interferes with my running. Between the sugar and the carbonation I run stronger without it. Google "how does carbonation affect the body" and you'll find all sorts of motivation to quit. :)
  • victoriawarkel
    Options

I weaned myself in 3 weeks. The withdrawal headaches were hard; I would never look back.

That's a great read! thanks for sharing
  • blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I had a similar experience to jerianne84.

I was very addicted to Dr pepper about 10 years ago (I had been drinking all forms of soda's for my whole life, at this time I was 21)-- to where I even kept my own 24 pack in my desk at work and would go through it in about 2-3 days. But I just had to quit cold turkey and not drink anything anymore (I know, its probably the hardest method for most people and not for everyone but worked for me)- even the diet versions because they have aspartame that would trigger migraines for me. I had some headaches at first after stopping it but eventually the cravings and headaches went away.

i still wanted the fizz though so I started drinking Perrier a couple of years ago (a carbonated water) and love it. It gives you the fizz without the calories or added ingredients.

There is some debate on Perrier and it giving people kidney stones because of the calcium in it, but i think like all things-- if you have it in moderation-- it is a good soda/pop replacement

Perrier is a little pricey though- I get mine at Cosco where it is a little cheaper but there are some cheaper versions out there.

I just like the Perrier- they also have flavored versions but I dont really like those

I tried a dr pepper about a year ago and couldnt even drink it-- now the carbonation in it hurt my throat (wierd I know because Perrier has carbonation that doesnt hurt my throat) and it was WAYYY to sweet for me to even stand. Havent touched it again

Good luck!! Hope you find a method that works for you!!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    This is what I did:

1) Become obsessed with hoarding money
    2) Track how much is spent on everything
    3) Notice how much is spent on junk food
    4) Freak out for 2 months and reduce spending extremely - which means not buying any junk food
    5) Have boyfriend tell you you're insane
    6) Start ignoring budget on purpose to break obsession
    7) Have a healthy relationship with both money and junk which you no longer crave after the 2 - 3 months of money freaking-out-ness.

But maybe that's just me hahaha.
  • jenschroll
    jenschroll Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I started by drinking sweet tea instead of soda, then half sweet/unsweetened tea, then unsweetened tea only when I dine out. Occasionally, I'll have a Snapple Peach Tea or Celebri Tea Peach Ginger Tea to quell the sweet tooth. Now I don't really miss soda, but this is just what worked for me.
  • yourfitnessenemy
    yourfitnessenemy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have no advice because I am so addicted to Coca Cola. I try to do Coke Zero but it's just not the same.
  • dawnrguillory
    dawnrguillory Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I gave up all sodas over 3 years ago. The progression> Regular soda>diet soda>sweet tea>unsweet tea (with sweeteners)>to finally UNSWEET TEA & water only. The progression took a couple of months, but I have been "off of" regular sodas for over 3 years. I will occasionally have a root beer (but only once every 6 months or so). I make my own tea, so it's actually a money saver too! Best of luck to you!!
  • changing4life
    changing4life Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I did it cold turkey. Just woke up one day and didn't have any soda. When I want a fountain soda (my fave, with lots of ice), I have a plain seltzer instead, either cold in the can or on ice with lime. To me its the perfect substitution. And it's been almost 3 years since I have had a soda.

The added benefit is that I've lost my taste for sweetened beverages, either with sugar or artificial sweeteners. I drink my coffee with only 1/2 & 1/2 (and a very little bit of vanilla creamer) and drink my iced-tea unsweetened.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options

That's a great read! thanks for sharing
    You're welcome! I always find science helpful to assist me in making healthy choices. Best of luck!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda. Remember one thing: you lose weight from a calorie deficit. Maybe quitting soda was significant enough to cause you to create that deficit but soda alone was not the culprit.

This. Drink the soda if you like it.
  • zman1313
    zman1313 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I used to drink preposterous amounts of soda--probably close to 2 liters a day. Saying that I was addicted would be a HUGE understatement. The day I started my weight loss I bought a root beer on my way home from work. Put it in my cup holder, looked at it, and said "that's it, I'm done, I'm not drinking this." That root beer is still sitting in my fridge and every time I see it, it reminds me of how happy I am that I quit.

I do drink diet coke now. For a while I drank quite a lot of it (I was hooked on the carbonation more than anything I think.) Now, I'm down to 2 cans a day max and hope to ween myself off that completely here soon.

I can say that quitting POP (I'm from MN too, lol) was probably the best thing I ever did for my body and weight loss goals.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    As someone who was the same let me tell you some truth. There is no way around a period of discomfort here. Fact is if you are used to full sugar pop diet stuff is going to taste like garbage water. You have to just quit it. But trust me a month or so down the line pick up a bottle of diet pop and drink it. You will be gobsmacked at how sweet it tastes. And never touch full sugar pop again.
  • hoktauri
    hoktauri Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I decided to check out the main site after reading that, wow is about all I can say. Just about every bad science piece ever thought up in one place.

Edit: in response to this http://www.wnho.net/soft_drinks_hard_facts.pdf