HELP ME!!! I can't keep up with my diary!!!

Options
I've always been hopless with food diaries - I got a couple of days through and then I was very busy for a while after that
so I didn't record what I ate and my workouts. I can't remember what I ate or what workouts I done!! Please help me - what
should I do?!?! Also, if you've done this (missed out some days) then maybe you could tell me what you done?Is it OK if I jsut carry on normally and forget those days? PLEASE!!!!! Plus, I'm sort of new so if you have any tips for maintaining my food diary and diet
then it would be most appreciated. Thanks!! :) Oto0123 xx

Thanks for all the advice you guys gave me!! I'll start taking notes now before I eat so I'm combining the idea of pre-logging and note-taking!! I like the idea of pre-logging. It will make me even more determined to eat whatever I'm planning on having!! And note-taking is more convienent for me as I work in an office where we are not aloud phones unless we're on a break but I can type what I eat/do in my phone so I don't have to carry a note-pad all the time!
E.g. If I'm out running - I'll always have my phone with me.

Thank you for welcoming me to the community!! I can't wait to lose weight!! (Hahaha!!)

Bye guys!! Bigtosmall123 xxxx

Replies

• johanna306
    johanna306 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Would it help to carry a pad and paper with you so that you can record what you ate or what work-outs you did right when you are doing them? Then you can enter everything once a day instead of after every meal.

If you have a smart phone, My Fitness Pal also has an app that you can download that has helped me a lot too.
  • moveyourself
    Options
    it's okay! Don't worry if you skip a few days. It's going to take a while to get into the habit of logging consistently. Honestly, I'm not perfect either when it comes to logging my foods. I'll skip a few days myself, but I never let that defeat me. Sometimes I'll be using my diary for 20 days straight, then stop for 3 or 4 - but then I'll go on like I never stopped.
  • 12pillows
    12pillows Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have a note file on my phone and I jot down what food and exercise I do during the day, and add it all on later when I get home. I have a windows phone so I can't use the app which is pretty annoying if I'm out all day.

Once you get into the habit of doing it, it will get easier to remember to do :)
    I also usually add stuff on before I eat it if I'm at home, so when I'm wallowing in that post meal happy place I don't have to fanny about with the math :)
  • Stopher100481
    Stopher100481 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you have the smartphone app or not? But if so the barcode scanner on there makes life a breeze and made it so much easier for me to keep up with logging!
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    When I get in bed at night, I take my ipad and go over my diary and input the things I've missed. If I don't do it at night, the next morning I input what I can remember on the day before. Keep practicing. It gets easier. I practiced for two weeks before I think I got it.
  • jillian_fan2425
    jillian_fan2425 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    The app is very helpful when I'm away from home/on the go.

Most of the time, though, I pre-log. I plan out breakfast, lunch and dinner for the whole week before I go grocery shopping, and then I input each day's calories while I eat breakfast. I've been pre-logging for a month or two and I've found it super helpful; it also doesn't take up extra time because I do it while I eat. It takes less than 5 minutes since I am prepared and can "add to today" from previous meals or items in my frequently used list.

I wouldn't go back and add to prior entries if you really can't remember what you ate/did. Just focus on doing better in the future.
  • eomuno215in541
    eomuno215in541 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I note EVERYTHING and usually right after I eat. But I do tech support so I'm always near a puter/device. If you can't, write it down and note at day's end. My daughter scribbles on her hand when we eat out (not joking) and keeps a paper diary. Or pre-note. Whatever works best for you. Important thing is: find a routine that works for you and stick to it. If you miss a day or 2 now and then, don't worry. But try not to miss regularly. Diary, for me, is key. You know what you ate, and it puts you in the mindframe to think about what you're eating or will eat. You'll get it and lose it!
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Pre-logging my food seems to help me with the logging issue. There are days where I don't log as well as I should....my theory is that as long as I am logging in, I am forcing myself to be aware of what I'm doing, more so than not logging at all. I have found that when I adopt the attitude that I can't eat it until I log it, I do better. I LOVE logging my workouts as soon as they're done though, so that's not much of an issue.

It takes time, stick with it.
  • LiveLoveLift67
    LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Maybe it would be better for you to just choose food logging and not exercise. I also find that if i pre log ( and stick to the plan) for a day or two in advance i am better prepared and i stick to my plan. I know it can get over whelming at times all this logging.
  • bigtosmall123
    Options
    Thanks - I might try that actually! Thank you for all of the help you've given me!
  • bigtosmall123
    Options
    Thanks - I think I'll keep a note pad with me now!
  • bigtosmall123
    Options
    Thanks fr the advice - and I will stick to it!
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I've been logging my food every single day for over 2 years. After awhile it becomes a habit and it only takes a few minutes at the most once you get your database of foods established. If you have a smartphone you can download the MFP app and scan the barcodes right into your diary. Literally a tap of a button.

Some people pre-log their food for the day. Personally, I take a few minutes every evening and log everything I ate that day. Like I said, super easy and it doesn't take any time at all. The trick is to get into the habit of logging. That will take some commitment on your part. Make it a part of your daily routine and soon you won't even think about not doing it.
  • bigtosmall123
    Options
    I have a note file on my phone and I jot down what food and exercise I do during the day, and add it all on later when I get home. I have a windows phone so I can't use the app which is pretty annoying if I'm out all day.

Once you get into the habit of doing it, it will get easier to remember to do :)
    I also usually add stuff on before I eat it if I'm at home, so when I'm wallowing in that post meal happy place I don't have to fanny about with the math :)

thanks! i do have a note file on my phone too so I'll definetely try that! I don't have the app either - my phone is a windows phone too - but I can type it in and log it in my diary later. Thanks for all the advice!!
  • bigtosmall123
    Options
    Thank you!! I knew it would take commitment and now I realise that I just need to get into the habit of logging all my foods and exercises!! I'll soon get the hang of it!!
  • wishings
    wishings Posts: 13
    Options
    its fine. I don't always track my eating either. I spend more time tracking my exercise than I do my meals.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I mostly pre-log my food diary and I rely on my Polar FT for my workouts. But I also have a file on my phone that I use if I want to add something to my food diary or exercise.

Hope you gain some useful tips!
  • sparklefrogz
    sparklefrogz Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I have a windows phone so I can't use the app which is pretty annoying if I'm out all day.
    I don't have the app either - my phone is a windows phone too - but I can type it in and log it in my diary later.

I don't have a Windows phone, but I found this site, which seems to imply they do (or did, at one point) have a mobile app for Windows devices: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/mobile/windows
  • 12pillows
    12pillows Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have a windows phone so I can't use the app which is pretty annoying if I'm out all day.
    I don't have the app either - my phone is a windows phone too - but I can type it in and log it in my diary later.

I don't have a Windows phone, but I found this site, which seems to imply they do (or did, at one point) have a mobile app for Windows devices: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/mobile/windows
    Oh I have the app, it just doesn't work. heh. Think it's been broken for a long time, theres a thread or two on here about it. super lame!