Pros and Cons to Protein Shakes

Options
adreal
adreal Posts: 229 Member
Anybody have any pros and cons to drinking a protein shake? I am looking at the dymatize iso 100. My concern is that when would I take it and would it really help? Also would it add too many calories to my day. I would take it with skim milk.

Replies

• AvonBell
    AvonBell Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    For weight loss extra protein will help you retain some muscle. Shakes are an easy way to load up on protein if your diet doesn't provide a sufficient quantity. If you take it you must fit it within your caloric allotment.
  • mayfrayy
    mayfrayy Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    pros - cheap, easy, protein (to many people lack)
    cons - taste

as long as you understand your macro/caloric goals and stay within.
  • Donna92612
    Donna92612 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I drink the ready made Designer Whey Protein Shakes (I buy them at Target). One-hundred calories/18g protein/+vitamins... they're an easy snack at work, or before I go home or out to meet friends. For me they're a great tool (vanilla and chocolate and decent when well chilled!). They're a good bridge between meals. I agree... track your macros.
  • AvonBell
    AvonBell Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have to taste bad. I take my protein shake twice a day, once with water and the other with milk. The one with water isn't so great but the one with milk tastes like melted ice cream (the powder is vanilla flavoured).

IMO, the biggest con is price.
  • adreal
    Options
    I think I can fit it in but am just afraid I won't be able to eat dinner. But I work out after work and was thinking about drinking one for my afternoon snack. This one has no sugar and lots of protein so that should fill me up to work out and then make it to cook dinner. Or could replace breakfast. Idk
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    It helps me fill in protein needs daily. It's a quick fix, no fuss way to help hit my goals
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Or could replace breakfast. Idk

It can. I sometimes mix my vanilla protein powder with a packet of instant black coffee and/or a teaspoon of molasses (for the added minerals) and shake it up with cold water. It gets me going in the morning.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    My protein shakes taste awesome. But I usually blend them with ice and milk, almond milk or water. Usually throw in half a banana, two tablespoons of greek yogurt and a dash of vanilla extract.
  • xero2099
    xero2099 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I will usually have a shake before I go to bed I use dymatize elite xt in either blubbery muffin or banana nut both flavors are good. I have them with water
  • MandiS80
    MandiS80 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I use Isofemme it's 115 calories and I use water to keep it kind of minimal. I just use it to increase my protein in a day since I'm not getting a lot else where
  • mindofarevolution
    Options
    I actually don't think protein powder/shakes taste bad, and I've tried multiple flavors and types (whey, milk, soy, hemp, pea, blends of each). To me the worst thing is that it's easiest to just shake/blend with water or milk, forming a drink. To me, I'd rather EAT something. Also, I already drink a lot of water, coffee, etc so I have to go to the bathroom a lot. There are things to do with protein powder, basically subbing it as a flour, but it takes time and if I do make something, it's more of a snack than a meal.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Pro: easy way to hit daily protein goal. Minimal calories if trying to lose weight(usually right above a 100 cals), quick, whey protein builds muscle better than any other type of protein

Cons: costs about 5 times as much as the same amount of meat would for protein content.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I love chocolate protein powder in my steel cut oats with Vanilla Greek yogurt!! :love:

Pros: I hit my protein goal
    Cons: probably taste, especially the other flavors
  • russannsz
    russannsz Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi: I am drinking 5 protein shakes a day and taking potassium supplements. You have to drink 120oz to a max of 160oz of fluids daily. They keep you full.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Hi: I am drinking 5 protein shakes a day and taking potassium supplements. You have to drink 120oz to a max of 160oz of fluids daily. They keep you full.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTgh8CshRmo5jMO5FbPqFUb9HXd7ria-EMRgy4h32cguiX5LYDP
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    ....would it really help?

It is a supplement...it will help you hit your protein goals...if you are hitting your protein goals without it then it's not necessary...if you're not hitting your protein goals it will really help.

pros: I have a pretty big protein goal...sorry...can't eat that much meat, etc, I have to supplement

cons: none that I've found so far...

Protein is very important to preservation of lean mass. The more active you are, the more protein you need...also, while dieting it is beneficial to take in more protein than perhaps you normally would to preserve lean mass as dieting in general results in loss of both muscle and fat...fat loss is mitigated by adequate protein intake and resistance training.
  • laurawiggs74
    laurawiggs74 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Be careful which brand you choose. You may be getting more than you pay for... and not in a good way. http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2010/july/food/protein-drinks/whats-in-your-protein-drink/index.htm
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    A Protein shake is just a food like any other. And one high in protein. Treat it as such. There is nothing magical about it. Obviously avoid buying crap like was just mentioned with tonnes of metals in it. But that can also be said of any other food.

I don't use them all the time. My love for grilled chicken quite often takes care of my daily protein needs. However one nice thing about a milk diluted protein shake is they are a fast easy way to get a protein focused but otherwise well balanced package of protein in.

A few tips for new protein users though.

1. GET A PROTEIN SHAKER. This stuff doesn't always dissolve very well and whether with water or milk you WILL need to shake the crap out of it to get something palatable. Stirring with a spoon will make lumpy horrible gunk that will have you wondering why anyone would ever drink a protein shake.

2. You can make the shake with water. But making it with milk is a lot more delicious.

3. Put some Ice cubes or even better crushed ice in with the milk/water and protein powder before you shake it all together. The ice will really help to break up clumps of protein and let most of the powder dissolve evenly.
  • adreal
    Options
    thanks guys. I am still on the fence about buying some. I get about 75-80 grams of protein a day in just what I eat. But I can see the benefits of drinking it before workouts or as a late night snack. I think I might just need to try it out.
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    It's all pros

/thread