Can you sense your calorie intake?

Options
I'm really new to actually paying attention to what I eat and how much of it.

Can your body can feel the difference between a 500, 1000, 2000 calorie meal? Or are there other factors such as the nutrition of carbs, fats, etc that cause the feelings after a meal?

Replies

• GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    After counting calories for a while, I can tell the difference. But I think awareness is the first step towards that.
  • Kassey125
    Kassey125 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    About the only time I can tell is when my meal did not contain enough calories or if there was way to much fat then I feel nauseous and sluggish.
  • mrrongilbert
    mrrongilbert Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I agree ^^^with both of the above. When I wasn't paying attention (and habitually overeating) I couldn't really tell a difference. Now I can tell when I eat a "big" meal.. no doubt. I am eating much less but plenty for my actual needs. Still learning..
  • 1911JR
    1911JR Posts: 276
    Options
    I'm really new to actually paying attention to what I eat and how much of it.

Can your body can feel the difference between a 500, 1000, 2000 calorie meal? Or are there other factors such as the nutrition of carbs, fats, etc that cause the feelings after a meal?

Yes, I can tell the difference. But I eat pretty much the same things everyday.
  • absurd581
    absurd581 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. Since I've been counting calories I definitely have a better idea how many calories are in different sorts of foods. That being said just because something has a lot of calories doesn't mean I'll feel really full after eating it. That has more to do with the nutrient content.
  • mystarwillshine
    mystarwillshine Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I find that I feel very tired and just not right if I've eaten more than my daily allowance. I believe a lot of this is due to the fact that the food I ate is probably either fast or processed food, and all that junk in it affects me. I also feel bloated. When I eat healthy, staying within my healthy guidelines, I feel great!
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    One thing that has been proven true in my case over and over again is that my tummy and emotions cannot be trusted with that level of responsibility. So, a food diary it shall be!

I am forever feeling like I am still hungry, even after eating a truly ludicrous amount of food. So, I must think about it and be aware of what I eat most of the time (I let loose on occasion). Now I can step back and realize that I'm satisfied, even if I can eat more. There was a reason I had 100 pounds to lose! If I didn't start when I did, I would have had a lot more. I was regularly eating 3000+ cals a day while sitting around doing nothing.

All that said, I feel the difference when eating "heavy" foods.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    You mean fullness? I can't. I can now tell how many calories I've eaten even without logging pretty well, because I count in my head, but for me fullness isn't all that related to the calories I've eaten but what I've eaten and the amount of food. Give me some meat and lots of vegetables and if I have a couple of different kinds of veggies for variety and a full plate that takes some time to eat, and I'll feel like I've eaten as much as many high calorie options and likely be completely full. On the other hand, I can't count on feeling especially full (although I will feel not hungry) after lots of calories--it depends on what it is.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    No, only if it the same foods I have always eaten and then no because I know how many calories are in it. I am not a Jedi