Free weights etiquette?

Options
Rage_Phish
Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
Is it considered poor etiquette to do you lift right in front of weight that line the mirror? Essentially blocking these dumbells?

Seems like common sense to me to work out far enough away from the mirror so people can still access the dumbells

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Yes, and one of my biggest pet peeves.
  • juneshark
    juneshark Posts: 1
    Options
    yep.
  • daisylenora
    daisylenora Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    everything you do in life will piss someone off, but yes i guess.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think it's poor form to block access to equipment that you are not using.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Yes its annoying, but it can be useful to perform certain exercises in fron of a mirror to check your form. I'm sure if you asked they'd move?
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    wasn't a big deal as i was able to simply go around. it just seemed like it might be one of these etiquette things (but other people's situation un-awareness is nothing new to me)
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    If the gym is empty and I'm doing a serious of exercises with different weights, I have no shame standing right there, front and center. I'l be basically only blocking the dumbbells that I'm going to use myself, anyway.
    If there is a lot of traffic in the weight room, I have changed the lineup of my training before, and taken a few dumbbells, that I needed, to a quiet corner of the room.
    Regardless, it is ALWAYS BAD ETIQUETTE, not to re-rack the weights that you use. And I have called dudes back before, who left the weights on the ground right in front of the weight rack. If they are able to do 20 reps in bad form in the first place, they should be able to do one more to build character!
    This is my opinion, and I'm sticking with it....
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Did you tell him he's banned from Phish Lot?

you dont do that with the phree weights....
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    If you have your shirt off while grunting it's okay because that meanz you're workin' on dem gainz.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It's the same as when people bogart the table at a wine tasting. Idiots aren't only in the gym.
  • aweigh2go
    aweigh2go Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    As a rule, I try to perform exercises at least 3-4 feet from the rack so that others can get by or get to a weight they need. If I really need to be close to the mirror, I'll go over to another section that has mirrors away from the DB rack. But on the flip side, anyone that is looking at themselves in the mirror while performing an exercise, I go behind them so as not to interupt their focus.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It's the same as when people bogart the table at a wine tasting. Idiots aren't only in the gym.

I hope you push those uncouth savages into the wine rack