Does anybody have advice for overcoming depression?

Options
swertyqwerty
swertyqwerty Posts: 81 Member
I'm on medication, seeing a dr, and reading lots of self help books and even did therapy at one point but nothing cures it. I'm better and I can function well now but I'm still depressed. Does anybody have any tips that worked for you?

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    If you find something that works, let me know.
  • liftmeup1
    liftmeup1 Posts: 373
    Options
    God is about all that helps....not knowing where to draw your next breath from is pretty rough....I'm there myself friend.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Exercise... seriously. It's the one thing I didn't see you mention. Not that it's a cure or anything, but it can help.

Perhaps another doctor too if you've given your current regimen at least 3 months and there's still no change.
  • V0lver
    V0lver Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Try Cognitive behavioral therapy
  • liftmeup1
    Options
    Yes, but you can only workout so much before you run into injuries from overtraining making it even more unbearable. 7 days a weeks for two hours a day can only go so long.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I know there is also groups for mental health and depression here (and obviously other websites) that you may want to look into.
  • liftmeup1
    Options
    I'd also say it depends on the issue that is causing the depression.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    You might be too paralyzed to make yourself exercise.
  • Asaint63
    Asaint63 Posts: 4
    Options
    Give an anti- depressant a chance. If it doesn't work, you can always quit taking it!
  • swertyqwerty
    Options
    thanks all for your tips and for letting me know you're in the same boat.
    I feel so blah/bored and uncomfortable, all the time. I can't derive any enjoyment from anything or look forward to anything, for no special reason. The meds take the edge off a little, but the feelings are still there.
    If I had my way I would sleep 24/7 but I know I want a better career so I'm pushing myself to work hard these days.
  • Asaint63
    Options
    Give an anti- depressant a chance. If it doesn't work, you can always quit taking it!
  • Asaint63
    Options
    The meds take 6-8 weeks to become fully therapeutic.....
  • soidade
    soidade Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Anti-depressants take 2-3 MONTHS. If it hasn't been that long, you're asking too soon. And if the medication doesn't work, another medication might. I went through 3 anti-depressants before I found one that reduced my symptoms. It's a wait, but that's how it works. In the meantime, please consider seeing a different therapist. Aside from the fact that your mileage may vary with any given therapist, there are many different types of therapy. Maybe the one you tried wasn't right for you.

Here are the major four types: http://psychcentral.com/therapy.htm
  • swertyqwerty
    Options
    Actually I just realized I lied. I do look forward to 1 thing: and that is a delicious meal. Meal time and sleep are the happiest parts of my day. It's making it hard to lose weight because I'm losing one of the things that I look forward to every day.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    well my opinions might be a bit controversial, but i think it depends if it's situational or chemical and if you can tell the difference.

if it's chemical then meds..

if it's situational then maybe start brain storming ways you can improve what's going on.

good luck
  • shapri278
    shapri278 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor. You may benefit from taking a different or additional medication. I've been there too. Some meds work for some people
    and some don't. Please, don't give up, talk to your dr. who prescribed your meds.
  • Coltsforlife
    Coltsforlife Posts: 124
    Options
    find something that you can focus on , a hobby that makes you feel good , depression is hard to overcome ive been on meds many times, I don't believe in taking pills so I tried many things , music, gardening etc and exercise really has helped
  • soidade
    Options
    Appetite change/weight difficulties are very typical of depression.

The other thing you need to understand is that there is no "cure." Even if your symptoms were completely treated, your depression would be in remission. Most cases of depression can be managed with medication, therapy, life/coping skills training, or a combination of the three, but it's not like curing a cold. You need to accept that this is something you may struggle with for a long time, because that'll change your perspective on the effectiveness of the treatment. Don't expect medication to fix everything; expect it to make it less horrible.
  • soidade
    Options
    find something that you can focus on , a hobby that makes you feel good , depression is hard to overcome ive been on meds many times, I don't believe in taking pills so I tried many things , music, gardening etc and exercise really has helped

Just because meds don't work for you don't mean that they don't work for other people. In truly severe cases of depression, NO hobby is satisfying. There have been points in my life where nothing, including food!, gave me any satisfaction. I probably wouldn't be alive today if someone hadn't encouraged me to try anti-depressants.
  • Johnboii1
    Johnboii1 Posts: 2
    Options
    I suffered from Anxiety and Depression back in 2004. Was a horrible experience. At the time I was finishing university. I decided to move abroad and chill out on a beach for a few years. I could only do this because I had a job that allowed me to work online. But it cured me.
    Hope you find a way to overcome it.