Does anybody have advice for overcoming depression?

Options

Replies

• soidade
    soidade Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I suffered from Anxiety and Depression back in 2004. Was a horrible experience. At the time I was finishing university. I decided to move abroad and chill out on a beach for a few years. I could only do this because I had a job that allowed me to work online. But it cured me.
    Hope you find a way to overcome it.

It doesn't cure you, it treated the symptoms... Please don't spread misinformation.
  • I_need_moar_musclez
    I_need_moar_musclez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    If you find any answers, can you send them my way, please?
    The gym helps to stave mine off temporarily.
  • diamier
    diamier Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Well, I've started to heal myself according to ayurveda, though I had a little bit different problems (acne, anxiety, stress) and it quite helped me to overcome these. I think you should also look for culprit in your food (that's what ayurveda says).
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Advice from someone in a very dark place: The one and only path that leads out of the darkness is to focus 100% on confronting the people and situations that are responsible for it, and delete them from your life or force a resolution of the issues you have with them.
  • Pathend2
    Pathend2 Posts: 142
    Options
    I've suffered depression through most of my life, and it's not a simple fix. I've been off antidepression meds for years (on account of me not having insurance for 11 years), and there have definitely been some low points in my life.

What keeps me going is reminding myself that I do have friends and family who care a lot about me and want me to do well. I've gone from being a loser working a crappy pizza cook job to becoming an English teacher, and a lot of that has to do with that support.

There are days though that I just want to turn off the world. No one knows my pain; no one knows what it's like being as along as I am. I do remind myself that there are people who do know these things, but beyond that, I just keep pushing for the future. If I change myself, maybe it'll cause people to be drawn to me, and I keep making strives to improving myself on a regular basis.

Finally, I'll impart some wisdom that a mentor of mine passed onto me. He told me that he used to experience the same feelings I did. He said it was like getting into a really dark elevator, riding it downwards for miles, then opening it to a room that's entirely pitch black - no sign of light.

He went on to tell me that the best way out is to take stock in what you enjoy. Take some time for yourself - love yourself. For me, I like to take a nice walk around a pond near my house; especially when the sun is setting. It's gorgeous and it just puts me in a better mood. Other times I'll just grab my guitar and just strum/sing my heart out. All you need to do is do something for yourself now and again. It won't alleviate the pain entirely, but maybe it will remind you what's so amazing in this life of yours.

And if you don't have anything like that, go find something! Find what soothes your mind and embrace it.

And yes, you are most definitely not alone. Don't let it consume you; you'll always find the support you need.
  • Johnboii1
    Johnboii1 Posts: 2
    Options
    [/quote]
    It doesn't cure you, it treated the symptoms... Please don't spread misinformation.
    [/quote]

I'll spread whatever I like thanks.
    Pretty sure it cured me, though obviously it won't for everyone.
  • EmilyTwist1
    EmilyTwist1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    This is what worked for me:

1: Getting off medication. (This is something you have to discuss with your doctor. Medication helps many people, I'm just not one of them)

2: Getting on birth control to keep hormonal mood swings in check.

3: Taking St. John's Wort. (DO NOT take this if you are taking an SSRI. They act similarly in the brain and can cause an overdose when taken together. If this option interests you, talk to your doctor about it.)

4: Eating a nutrient-dense diet. (This is something I'm not very good at yet, but I'm improving. There's some research that depression may be linked to nutrient deficiencies, such as B12. Again, discuss with your doc.)

5: Exercise. This doesn't have to be anything super intense. I know the "I don't want to get out of bed ever" feeling that often comes with depression. So, I started with just walking.

6: Getting outside. Low vitamin D (produced by skin in response to sun exposure) has been seen to have some association with depression. Exposure to sunlight can also help regulate your circadian rhythms, leading to better sleep. There's also a lot of research about nature therapy going on. Exposure to nature seems to help people with a variety of mental health issues.

7: Getting enough, quality sleep. For me, there's a pretty narrow range of sleep amount I can get with out screwing my mood. Less than 6 or more than 8 tends to leave me feeling lethargic, and if it goes on for a while, I start having depression symptoms. Quality also matters. Turn off the screens, relax before bed, sleep in a dark, quite room, etc.

None of these are a magic cure. For any of these to help, it takes time and consistency. And, in my experience at least, they have to be done in combination.

And, again, talk to your doctor about these things before making any changes. Whether you're on medication or not, lifestyle should be part of your plan to kick depression out on its behind. If your doc hasn't talked to you about this, bring it up.
  • liftmeup1
    liftmeup1 Posts: 373
    Options
    Sweet,I didn't know birth control worked.
  • Reichelt152
    Options
    I certainly can relate and empathise because I've been there three times. '93, 2001 and 2005. Each episode got worse. First time I just exercised more, Second time around I had to go on medication (quite mild). Third time around I needed stronger med, had counseling (which I was reluctant to do, but I found worked) and made a real effort to get my exercise levels up. It all worked. Took about 12-18 months to get myself right.

Touch wood its 2014, and I haven't felt this good for 20 years. Having said that, I'm approaching 40 and have really upped the exercise and watching my calorie intake. Lost 15kgs and feel great.

If you are reluctant to go on prescription medication (but there are some great SSRIs that really work), you could try a supplement regime which has helped me the past couple of years. Some will work for you, others not. Its quite a bit of trial n error (without any side effects in doing so). You could try to get your growth hormone levels up naturally through the use of colostrum, glutamine and GABA. Also you can improve your mood through Nootropics such as piracetam.

Also as much sunshine and outside warmth as possible - I live in a temperate climate (cold grey winters, but long dry hot summers - so I'm outdoors whenever I can in summer, and there is irrefutable evidence that vitamin D and sunlight has a positive impact on seratonin levels. I certainly notice it!

There is also a supplement called 5-HTP which is derived from a African herb that has positive impacts on seratonin and melatonin levels. Works for many - didn't for me, but worth a shot. (Dont take ifwhen on SSRIs though). Also Alpha-GPC (derived from soy) can also be beneficial.

If you are having trouble sleeping, 3grams of GABA right before bed works wonders. GABA is a natural neurotransmitter in the brain and its great to improve the quality of your deep sleep. Good 'deep sleep' is crucial when working on depression as it helps the brain fix the balance chemically.

As I said, Ive done some work around these (it helps having a background and qualifications in science), read medical papers and journals and as such feel great.

So my three pronged 'attack' was to drop my calorie intake by about one-third (I don't ban any foods, just limit intake), doubled my exercise per week from 2 to 4 hours, and have formulated a great supplements regime that over time has helped as well.

All the best - it takes work, courage, but you'll get through it.
  • swertyqwerty
    swertyqwerty Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    thank you for your tips all. I'm going to save this page on my computer.
    Some of you guys/girls are so gorgeous/fit I can't believe you're depressed (even though I know in my head it's something that can and does affect anybody).
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    If you haven't been on your antidepressant for very long, keep taking it and see how you feel after a month or so. If that still fails, look into trying another medication. I've been on 4 different ones (as well as lithium, I'm bipolar) and the 4th one was the one that finally just worked really well with the lithium and everything. It's worth it in the long run. I'm sorry you're struggling, I know how hard it is. Hang in there.
  • Synchronicity
    Synchronicity Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm on medication, seeing a dr, and reading lots of self help books and even did therapy at one point but nothing cures it. I'm better and I can function well now but I'm still depressed. Does anybody have any tips that worked for you?

Keep doing what you are doing. Find a different therapist, one that fits your personality and that you feel is beneficial (might take a lot of "shopping" to find the right one). Get some exercise. Get some sun. Take time for yourself every day, even if it is just half an hour, to do something that you absolutely enjoy no matter how ridiculous it might be (even if its finger painting). Associate with people even if you don't want to. Look for opportunities to do nice things for others so the warm-fuzzies lift your spirit. And... keep on keeping on.

I wish there was a magic cure. There isn't. But you're not alone. You've got to take one day at a time. They aren't always dark.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    It's taken years but I have a good set of drugs I take, a lot of things I learned in therapy that I still work with, a SADD light for Fall and Winter, and an understanding that this is a condition like any other medical condition that may be life long but will not kill me unless I let it.

I recommend periodic therapy over the years, working with your physician to find the right mix of drugs, and patience with yourself. If you have clinical depression, you got dealt a lousy deck. But most people have something they must battle against. This is yours. Work on loving yourself and living your life.
  • dogluvr_2014
    dogluvr_2014 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for every person here that is suffering. I can't give you any advice but I can certainly pray for you. Stay strong and don't give up. God Bless!!
  • EmilyTwist1
    EmilyTwist1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Sweet,I didn't know birth control worked.

I'd say it helps, rather than "works." For me at least, depression is like a hydra: multiple heads. The birth control just knocked out the "hormonally induced rage explosion, followed by severe self hatred" head.
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of superbetter? It's a free site like mfp. It was created by a woman who suffered a traumatic head injury and had to spend the better part of a year in bed. She was medically banned from doing most of the things that made life worth living. Anyway, the site incorporates a lot of the research and techniques she used to overcome her depression and recover from her injury.
    SuperBetter helps you achieve your health goals — or recover from an illness or injury — by increasing your personal resilience. Resilience means staying curious, optimistic and motivated even in the face of the toughest challenges.

Here's her TedTalk: https://www.ted.com/talks/jane_mcgonigal_the_game_that_can_give_you_10_extra_years_of_life
  • swertyqwerty
    Options
    Re: the person who said you might have to avoid a person

This is good advice. I have a really dysfunctional family. When I first got depressed to the point where it was debilitating, I stopped talking to my sister for 2 years. She would always order me around and put me down, and after a lifetime of it I had no energy to take it and was too afraid of her to try to ask for a better relationship. She tells me I was paranoid to do that. She doesn't admit to having a problem. My entire family is dysfunctional and that is just one person. Now we're on good terms and she treats me well, just like she would treat anyone else. However the depression is still here. It was hard but getting that space when I was suffering a breakdown really helped.
  • swertyqwerty
    Options
    thank u for the link! I just googled superbetter and it's exactly the kind of thing I was hoping was out there
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    I'm on medication, seeing a dr, and reading lots of self help books and even did therapy at one point but nothing cures it. I'm better and I can function well now but I'm still depressed. Does anybody have any tips that worked for you?

Try another medication. I had to try several before I found what worked the best, and this is common. Also, if you have anxiety too, that changes what you need to be taking. I'm no longer on anything now, but I'm as happy as I was on meds, maybe more. So don't think that it necessarily means you will have to be on them forever. Some people do, but you might just need some help at the moment. I also agree with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, meditation, or yoga. Those things help me when I have have a bout of anxiety. I have problems with obsessive thoughts, that cause anxiety, so distraction is important for me. Find something to work towards. Never stop setting goals and trying to improve yourself.

Good luck. :drinker:
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    I've suffered depression through most of my life, and it's not a simple fix. I've been off antidepression meds for years (on account of me not having insurance for 11 years), and there have definitely been some low points in my life.

What keeps me going is reminding myself that I do have friends and family who care a lot about me and want me to do well. I've gone from being a loser working a crappy pizza cook job to becoming an English teacher, and a lot of that has to do with that support.

There are days though that I just want to turn off the world. No one knows my pain; no one knows what it's like being as along as I am. I do remind myself that there are people who do know these things, but beyond that, I just keep pushing for the future. If I change myself, maybe it'll cause people to be drawn to me, and I keep making strives to improving myself on a regular basis.

Finally, I'll impart some wisdom that a mentor of mine passed onto me. He told me that he used to experience the same feelings I did. He said it was like getting into a really dark elevator, riding it downwards for miles, then opening it to a room that's entirely pitch black - no sign of light.

He went on to tell me that the best way out is to take stock in what you enjoy. Take some time for yourself - love yourself. For me, I like to take a nice walk around a pond near my house; especially when the sun is setting. It's gorgeous and it just puts me in a better mood. Other times I'll just grab my guitar and just strum/sing my heart out. All you need to do is do something for yourself now and again. It won't alleviate the pain entirely, but maybe it will remind you what's so amazing in this life of yours.

And if you don't have anything like that, go find something! Find what soothes your mind and embrace it.

And yes, you are most definitely not alone. Don't let it consume you; you'll always find the support you need.

THIS. You said what I was trying to, much better than I could have.