When was you "Oh Hell No" Moment

Options

Replies

• cjames010
    cjames010 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My first moment was when I was packing for a family vacation and none of my jeans fit without a muffin top. However that didn't motivate me, I just bought new (bigger, looser) jeans on vacation.
    My real "oh hell no" was feeling fat roll on my thighs when I sat down to use the toilet.
  • Mitsuo8
    Mitsuo8 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    When I stepped on the scale and it told me I was 200 pounds :( That is a lot of weight on someone who is only 5"1!
  • AlysaN
    AlysaN Posts: 11
    Options
    When I realized my BIG comfy jeans had become my tight, hurt my stomach jeans! UGH!
  • back2twentyfive
    back2twentyfive Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I work in an office where there are lots of bowls of candy always available. Ok... so I went from a size 12 to a 14 -- not a big deal I thought, as I had been there before. In the spring, I couldn't zip up my jacket, but ok, I could wear it anyway, without zipping it up. The next fall, my pants were too tight again. I wasn't happy about buying size 16 pants, but bought them so I'd have clothes to wear. In the winter, my size 16s were getting tighter and tighter. My wake up call was in the spring, when the buttons started popping off my size 16s, my blouses were too tight, and I was NOT going to buy an entire wardrobe in size 18s. That made me face what I had done, and with being tired all the time, very unhappy about my 195 lbs., I understood that I had to change.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    For me it would be a trip I took a year and a half ago. Highlights included: more stairs than should exist on this planet, a kid following me for a block and a half yelling "you're fat;" and learning that I started snoring, loudly, all the time. Seeing pictures of myself from that trip didn't help, but luckily the girl I travelled with didn't like pictures of herself either, so neither of us took too many of the other. I lost weight on that trip, had some set backs last year, and then started getting focused in early winter 2013. Still have set backs, but not giving up this time. I want to be able to do all the stairs with ease.
  • PrincessEliNa
    PrincessEliNa Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I think my first "Oh no..." moment was when I weighed in at 146 lbs. My lovely mother was shocked, because I was a teenager, and I was bigger than she'd been after having my brother and me, and after she'd been living in the US and "got fat".

I think I did reach 150 at some point, and I remember buying 12 size pants (In truth they were too big, but that's what I thought I was)

My mom and aunt (who at that point were bigger ladies) warned me about getting bigger (In a nice, concerned way)
    I knew I didn't want to end up like them, and so got to making changes.

I lost 20lbs, but have gained about 5 back, so...here I am...
  • transistorized
    Options
    After getting hit by a car on a bicycle 6 years ago, my nomadic snowboard and surf lifestyle was changed dramatically. I had to struggle to do little things. Then, I became pregnant and had a beautiful boy. The pregnancy was very hard on my broken body, I gained almost 60 pounds. I began having surgeries to fix my ankle, knee, and both hips. I had PT to try and fix my back. I slowly lost all the weight and was almost back to my pre baby wight and I was starting to surf and snowboard and hike again....

Then, my ACL that had been causing trouble completely tore. Of course 4 different doctors over the course of 6 moths told me it was a sprain and i needed to toughen up. One even suggested psychotherapy to stop looking for sympathy. I knew something was wrong because it would give out on my and I would need crutches or a cane. I finally had it diagnosed and the MRI came back with a fully torn ACL. Of course, my insurance doesn't cover ACL surgery or PT. At least all of the other PT I have done set me up to strengthen it. It has been a rough year and I have put on 20 pounds. Even though I am only 36 it is very uncomfortable on my joints and murder on my back (also broken when I was hit)

I have been successfully hiding my weight under dresses, but photos of me in pants give it away instantly. My boyfriend has been taking lovely photos of my son and I, but one of them he sent me today actually privately made me cry. That is my HELL NO. I just signed up for this today.
  • Raaynn
    Raaynn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    my point was when I overheard my son describe me to is friend as " the fat one over there in the red coat" . I was in a group of overweight ladies and I was the " fat one". :( that was my wakeup call.
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I could barely walk too well last year and this year has gotten better, Then I realized if I want to go horse back riding again I have to drop down below 300 or risk breaking the horses back.

Oh hell no I'm not going to break the horse's back I'm going to lose this weight for good and go horseback riding as a goal
  • Stoophanie
    Options
    Pictures from my graduation party...
  • jessica_1205_
    jessica_1205_ Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I remember seeing a photo taken at my 18th birthday party and feeling physically ill. I was standing side-on, hugging my friend around his waist, and my arm looked HUGE, like a Christmas ham! I can laugh about it now but that was the moment that showed just how big I'd gotten. I knew I was overweight but I'd convinced myself that I "wasn't that big".

Six years have passed since that day and it's only now that I've taken the bull by the horns and started looking after myself properly. Feeling better every day :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Going to the doctor and weighing it at 213 pounds, and she ordered EKG and all other kind of tests that freaked me out. I was 200 for years but didn't care because I could eat what I wanted without gaining weight... apparently not (I had no scale and was in denial I guess). Incidentally, that weight gain was due to steroids and I lost 5 pounds of them with no effort in a month afterwards while eating horribly, but I had just started MFP a day earlier and I was motivated to do it anyway.
  • Shell_7609
    Shell_7609 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    It was a couple of things for me, first was going to a concert & being out of breath walking from the car to the venue & the seat being snug, then a few days later going for my annual well-woman exam & the scale saying 278.6
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    When my husband took this picture I thought it would be cute. The wind was blowing the scenery was gorgeous, how could it not be a great picture of me. I saw it and wanted to cry. A week later I stepped on the scale at the doctor's office and it read 218.6 and I swore enough was enough.
    218.jpg

This is me yesterday. Sorry its off focus, I was trying for a head shot for work so I only had one with more than my head and shoulders.
    30c43c20-7206-4eca-ad21-5529143586f9_zpsd5252666.jpg
  • lelyke
    lelyke Posts: 47
    Options
    Looking at a picture of me two years ago and comparing it to now. I looked way better two years ago.
  • Aruba08
    Aruba08 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    a picture that was taken during work when we had the kids on an outing. Im walking towards the camera and my thighs are so large theyre rubbing. HUGEEEE!!! Im smiling in it and I have about 5 chins.Horrific!! Oh HELL no thats so not me. I have that picture at home to remind me everytime I want to give up
  • 1HappyRedhead
    1HappyRedhead Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I've been avoiding cameras for years, and like everyone else, there were previous moments I knew, but....

I went on a cruise at the end of January and the crew takes pictures of you every chance they get, everywhere you go. The worst was when I went horseback riding in the ocean and saw the pics of me in a bikini. I knew it was bad, but I had no clue it was THAT bad. That was my "Oh Hell No" moment! The first couple of weeks back I just tried "eating better", then my son told me about MFP. For the first time in my life I have not given up after a couple days. I've lost 42 lbs and want to lose around 30 more, but I feel like I'm at least over half way there. I could have done better along the way so far, yes, but I'm definitely doing it in a sustainable way so that I don't feel "deprived" or have any "reason" to quit. I love my supportive MFP friends, and I need them everyday!
    Thank you all! :flowerforyou:
  • errkastarbucks
    Options
    New Year's Eve 2012 going into 2013. I went out with some friends and saw pictures posted about 2 months later. I was bloated and my skin was red (probably from alcohol) and it was like my skin was stretched over myself. I immediatly went to my bathroom and took pictures of myself in my underwear and cried. I decided then that I was done hating myself. I am now down 94 pounds. I've found me again.
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Realizing that after nearly two years I was only ten pounds less than what I was the day before giving birth to mysecond child. I was already overweight when I got pregnant with him, and the pregnancy ended with me at 195lbs. I was reminded of MFP and logged in, 4 months later I'm over 30 pounds down, feeling amazing and confident in shorts!
  • chrissyrenee1029
    chrissyrenee1029 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I have had a few over the years. One of the most significant ones though, was seeing this picture:

5ef52f70-835d-4c28-9f3f-531990e44191_zpsb51dca23.jpg

The caption says 240+ since my next recorded weight was 243, but in all honesty I was probably closer to 250. I lost around 40 pounds between November 2010 and April 2011.

My most recent one was when I realized how dangerously close I was to getting back to that point. I knew that couldn't happen, so I found my FitBit, charged it up, and found MFP. I'm almost 15 pounds down this time and am at least 20 pounds lighter than I was in that picture.