Options
shaddowstorm
shaddowstorm Posts: 155 Member
just after some ideas

Replies

• icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I used to do a bircher-style muesli, where I would soak some rolled oats overnight in water, then in the morning add yoghurt, fruit (fresh/ dried/ berries), nuts and some seeds, with a little drizzle of honey if you need the sweetness. You can pretty much vary the proportions any way to suit your needs, and right now for a low carb breakfast, I'm eating something like the above, except no oats, just yoghurt, mixed berries, nuts (almonds & brazils) and seeds (flax/ hemp/ sunflower/ pumpkin/ chia).
  • icck
    icck Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I had peanut butter and a drizzle of honey this morning, with some almond milk sloshed in. :) I love it best with nuts or crunchy nut butter, or seeds at a push. Just something crunchy.
    A mashed or finely sliced banana works nicely too.
  • AtlantaBob
    AtlantaBob Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I used to buy a 50 lb from Whole Foods. Steel cut oats from Canada. Cook a week's worth on Sunday and eat all week. The steel cut, unlike rolled, stays crunchy and tasty.
    For variety I'd add peanut butter, banana, berries, an cinnamon.

Oh, if you buy that much buy a few food grade 5 gallon storage containers.
  • madzilla84
    madzilla84 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love the recipes here:

http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal

Really easy to make and I love the flavour combinations - had raspberry and vanilla this morning and it was delicious! Trying the mango and almond tomorrow!
  • momxs2
    momxs2 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Love overnight oats!

Bumping this so I can look at later!!
  • ganzelly
    ganzelly Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    replying with my favorite, but also in for new ideas

soaked in milk, about 1/2tsp cocoa powder, half banana sliced, 1/2Tb dried cherries and sliced almonds.
  • mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I discoverred overnight oats not too long ago but I have to say, it saved my life this summer. I was so tired of cold cereal or hot breakfast...
    I'm absolutely obsessed with this one lately, that's all i've been eating for the past 2 weeks at breakfast:

Berry fiesta:
    1/3 c of large flake oats
    1/3 almond milk
    about 2 big tbs of plain Greek fat free yogurt
    1 tsp of chia seed (so the texture is closer to cooked oatmeal)
    splash of vanilla extract.

shake everything.

Add 1/4 cup of frozen blueberry and 1/2 cup of frozen raspberry. Shake again. Fridge overnight.
    I remove it from the fridge about 30-60 minute before I eat and add 1 tbs of maple syrup.

I tried with fresh berries instead, which is also excellent, but frozen fruits kinda of disintegrate in the mix and somehow I find it taste better.

I also love my coconut extravaganza recipe:
    1/3 cup of large flake oats
    1/2 cup of coconut milk
    about 2 big tbs of plain Greek fat free yogurt
    1 tsp of chia seed (again solely for texture)
    1/2 of pinapple

Again fridge overnight

You can add toasted coconut in the morning, it's yummy and add a little crunch. I don't add sweetener to this one because I find coconut sweet enough but I would suggest maybe honey? Or plain sweetener?
  • DeboraW_55
    DeboraW_55 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Pinterest has lots of recipes for overnight oats.
  • geordie2995
    geordie2995 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Question for AtlantaBob.......about cooking a week's worth of oats.........do you just take out your portion each time and nuke it? Do you have to thin it down with a bit of water each time? Does it taste as good done ahead like that? I'm sick of washing out the porridge pot every morning.

Sherry