HRM

Options
I'm looking to get a HRM or at least a sensor that will work with my phone/computer. Any recommendations?

Ideally, I'd like the option of carrying my phone or not, so are there any chest straps that just collect the data while you're out and then sync up when you connect to your device?

Thanks!

Replies

• RachelWithoutAPaddle
    RachelWithoutAPaddle Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I just ordered the polar H7, It should be coming in on Wednesday. I'm going to take it to kickboxing and try it out this friday. If you want, I can let you know how it works!

This is the one:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007S088F4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • pisces3
    pisces3 Posts: 27
    Options
    I just ordered the polar H7, It should be coming in on Wednesday. I'm going to take it to kickboxing and try it out this friday. If you want, I can let you know how it works!

This is the one:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007S088F4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That'd be great. I was looking at that one, but the reviews are mixed (as always). Thanks!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I'm not aware of a single HRM strap with an internal memory. The brains are always in the phone, watch, cycling computer, etc.

The H7 is a good device if you have a compatable phone (iPhone 4S and newer, recent Android systems that are BLE compliant). It also communicates with Polar watches and compatable exercise machines.

It is worth reminding that HRMs are only programmed to estimate caloric burns for a limited number of steady state cardio events such as smoothly transitioning running, cycling, etc. They are not accurate for intervals, HIIT, dancing, boxing because there is no established relationship between heart rate, oxygen uptake, and calories burned for those activities and/or the activity produces an elevated heart rate without the matching effort level (intervals especially .. go hard, heart rate elevates, decrease intensity, heart rate remains up while at the lower intensity).
  • pisces3
    Options
    I'm not aware of a single HRM strap with an internal memory. The brains are always in the phone, watch, cycling computer, etc.

The H7 is a good device if you have a compatable phone (iPhone 4S and newer, recent Android systems that are BLE compliant). It also communicates with Polar watches and compatable exercise machines.

It is worth reminding that HRMs are only programmed to estimate caloric burns for a limited number of steady state cardio events such as smoothly transitioning running, cycling, etc. They are not accurate for intervals, HIIT, dancing, boxing because there is no established relationship between heart rate, oxygen uptake, and calories burned for those activities and/or the activity produces an elevated heart rate without the matching effort level (intervals especially .. go hard, heart rate elevates, decrease intensity, heart rate remains up while at the lower intensity).

Thank you. That is helpful to know there aren't any with internal memories. A bummer, but good to know. My plan was exactly as you said, to use it for steady state cardio only and to keep my HR in the optimal zone for my conditioning.
  • brianpperkins
    Options

Thank you. That is helpful to know there aren't any with internal memories. A bummer, but good to know. My plan was exactly as you said, to use it for steady state cardio only and to keep my HR in the optimal zone for my conditioning.

Do some homework on zone training. For most mere mortals, the zones are meaningless ... especially the fat burning zone.
  • jghayes8
    jghayes8 Posts: 14
    Options
    I use the H7 combined with my Nexus 7. I use the Digifit app which connects to the H7 and syncs with My Fitness Pal. It works great. Digifit has all the fitness zones.
  • HelenWater
    HelenWater Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar RS400 and H1 HRM to keep me in the HR zone I want when I use the Concept 2 rower. I think it's really a running watch, but I suppose it works well for any steady state cardio work. The RS400 works out your "own zone" each session so that you train in the most effective zone for you that session.
  • izu87
    izu87 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and so far I'm incredibly happy with it. No problems, accurate (or at least I want to believe so) and comfortable to wear. The watch is very light and you hardly notice it on your hand, and the strap is soft and comfy as well.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    My plan was exactly as you said, to use it for steady state cardio only and to keep my HR in the optimal zone for my conditioning.

In that case, I wouldn't bother getting one at all.

Rate of percieved exertion should tell you when you're in a sistainable range or when you're operating in ranges that are becoming unmanageable.
  • pisces3
    Options

Do some homework on zone training. For most mere mortals, the zones are meaningless ... especially the fat burning zone.

Interesting. When I trained previously for some super long rides (cycling), I found it worked for me. I mean, I guess I don't how it would have been without, but it at least mentally helped. :)
  • pisces3
    Options
    My plan was exactly as you said, to use it for steady state cardio only and to keep my HR in the optimal zone for my conditioning.

In that case, I wouldn't bother getting one at all.

Rate of percieved exertion should tell you when you're in a sistainable range or when you're operating in ranges that are becoming unmanageable.

I know and that's what I'm wondering now. I've found them helpful in the past, but have gone 5-6 years without one and I am doing just fine with getting back to training post kids now.
  • pisces3
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the help!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I know and that's what I'm wondering now. I've found them helpful in the past, but have gone 5-6 years without one and I am doing just fine with getting back to training post kids now.

I'm finding that I don't use mine much at the moment, partly because I can look at it and find that I'm pretty much where I'd expect my HR to be. That said I am thinking about a Garmin with HRM capability, because then I can look at the metrics after the fact and actually use the data as a training aid. I can see the usefulness when it informs my training decisions, but at the moment, as a standalone device, it doesn't give me that.
  • brianpperkins
    Options

I'm finding that I don't use mine much at the moment, partly because I can look at it and find that I'm pretty much where I'd expect my HR to be. That said I am thinking about a Garmin with HRM capability, because then I can look at the metrics after the fact and actually use the data as a training aid. I can see the usefulness when it informs my training decisions, but at the moment, as a standalone device, it doesn't give me that.

I rarely look at my heart rate during a run and only slightly more often during a ride. The post exercise data is more useful for me now that there are months of exercise with pace, HR, and weight data for me to analyze trends and track improvement.