"I may not pass you, but I can outlast you" -- 14 miles DONE

Options
emmaleigh47
emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
Ok so I realize this isnt a weight loss victory --- or even that anyone but we would care ... but I had to post it because I am SOOO proud of myself.

I ran/walked 14 miles on Sunday....
I remember back to the summer when I thought 3 miles was a marathon to me and I would struggle just to finish a 5K.
Now anything under 5 miles is considered a "short run" for me!

Why else am I proud of me... I pushed through some major adversity.
I am one of those kinda regimented people. Set in my ways, my courses, etc
Sunday morning although I had planned to do the long run on the usual country road... the temp was below zero.
So I had to take it indoors... the indoor track at the YMCA where 11 laps =1 mile.
I did 159 laps....... (no I didnt count them) but wow ... it was hard ...
Its hard to run past the exit door, and not quit.... its alot easier not to quit when you are out there and have no choice.

So anyways... I did it... I ran/walked 14 miles! I am a champion... less than 2 weeks to my first half marathon!! :)
PS. The quote is from the new One More Mile slogan winner... I cant wait until I can have that on a shirt!

Replies

• RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    congrats! i LOVE running and also started out similar to you. :)
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Great job! Wonderful perseverance! I don't think I could do that!
  • houlee
    houlee Posts: 60
    Options
    Congrats! That's great! And I love the quote :)
  • debbiepa
    Options
    Great job! I've done several half marathons and I am starting to train for my first full marathon in May. I can't even imagine 26miles! Or 14miles for that matter! Good luck in 2wks.:flowerforyou:
  • go80k80
    go80k80 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Awesom job! What a great accomplishment for you.
  • __flexylexi
    __flexylexi Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!!! now start tapering.. you wanna be refreshed for that 13 miler in two weeks :)

GOOD LUCK

<3, a fellow couch to runner girl :)
  • DeAsh
    DeAsh Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hooray for you! I'm getting ready for my second half-marathon at the end of February. When I'm feeling discouraged, I'm gonna remember this quote! :)
  • CarolHudson11
    Options
    I am so proud for you! That's awesome!!!! You go, girl - that's a huge victory! :drinker:
  • shardown
    shardown Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!! Way to go :)
  • fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!! I'm the same way! I am super, super slow, but I can make the distance. I have completed 7 half marathons (since October 2009) and just began training for my first full marathon which I plan on completing in October this year. Congratulations on an amazing accomplishment!! You deserve to pat yourself on the back!! Good luck on your half marathon! You'll be great.
  • LynnBirchfield
    LynnBirchfield Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Outstanding (applause)! I'm in awe.
  • MaryTheIceCube
    MaryTheIceCube Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful accomplishment! Well done, and keep up the great work!! Let me know how your first half marathon goes. I'm training for my first half in September this year. :)
  • nsking83
    nsking83 Posts: 145
    Options
    AMAZING! I have started training in earnest for my first mini in May (Indianapolis) - and what a great quote! You're an inspiration to me :flowerforyou:
  • Octomonkey
    Octomonkey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    That's amazing- well done!! I'd love to be able to run and run like you but I'm still getting exhausted doing my workout dvds :P
  • emmaleigh47
    Options
    congrats! i LOVE running and also started out similar to you. :)

PLEASE tell me you were slow when you started and magically got faster? LOL... I have difficulty with intervals longer than 8 minutes... and I am just quite slow... :)
  • emmaleigh47
    Options
    Congrats! That's great! And I love the quote :)

I love that picture in your profile... what the heck is it though?
  • emmaleigh47
    Options
    AWESOME!!! now start tapering.. you wanna be refreshed for that 13 miler in two weeks :)

GOOD LUCK

<3, a fellow couch to runner girl :)

I sent you a message -- and the taper is going to be reeeally hard for me. I find 3 mile runs horrible, because it takes like 3.5 miles before I even feel good... and I dont really know how to taper... I feel like I should be running more.... HELP!! :P
  • emmaleigh47
    Options
    That's amazing- well done!! I'd love to be able to run and run like you but I'm still getting exhausted doing my workout dvds :P

Sweetie, I started out running for 30 seconds... and walking for 4 minutes. I came home crying once, because 1.8 miles was too hard... trust me... I started out horribly out of shape, and I still struggle to get through some workout videos!! You can do it ... if you want to....
  • servingthealiens
    servingthealiens Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Wow, great job!

I did my first 5 miler in too many years last night. Feels awesome, doesn't it?

When I first started running, I had never exercised a day in my life, AND I was a smoker. I couldn't even finish a mile. This coming fall I'm going to attempt a half.

Good luck on yours and make sure you let us know how you do!
  • Octomonkey
    Octomonkey Posts: 72 Member
    Options

Sweetie, I started out running for 30 seconds... and walking for 4 minutes. I came home crying once, because 1.8 miles was too hard... trust me... I started out horribly out of shape, and I still struggle to get through some workout videos!! You can do it ... if you want to....

Aww thanks for the words of encouragement :) Maybe next time I go out for a walk I'll try a short burst of running. In fact, I definately will! Good luck with your marathon!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!