What makes those last few pounds so hard to lose?

Options
I've been consistently losing until these last ten pounds. The last month I've been up and down the same two pounds! So frustrating. I'm 5"1' with a goal of 130 so I'm not trying to have an ultra low body fat percentage. Is there some secret science to taking off weight as you get closer to goal? I've changed my settings to .5 pounds a week just like I've read to do. Many people have suggested I cut down on my carbs and sagar but didn't need to do that to lose the first 30 pounds. Please help!

Replies

• MissSarahAllison315
    MissSarahAllison315 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Same here! Anyone know? I'm at the last 10lbs too!
  • Bri_Becq
    Bri_Becq Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Have you tried switching up your workouts? Maybe your body is bored. That happened to me and I still have a way to go... so I can imagine at the end you have to go crazy! And by crazy just do what you haven't done so you can just shake those last 10 lbs off.

As far as food wise, changing that a little bit. Maybe the amount of fats/carbs/protein you are eating. Play around with that. Ensure you aren't drinking your calories as well.

I hope this helps. If not, I'm sure someone will write something useful! Good luck and great work!!!
  • chrs86
    chrs86 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'd change your settings manually to include less carbs and fat and more protein. You may just be eating to many calories also so you could change it back to 2lbs a week. Good Luck.
  • Mommygotbig
    Mommygotbig Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    While I am super chubby right now, I wasn't always. I used to row. Rowing has weight limits and I had to be under 128 at 5'4". Before race time I would change my habbits like this. Cut out carbs except at breakfast or right before a really hard workout. And add at LEAST an extra 1000 steps to your day. This is on top of your regular workout routine. You don't have to kill yourself, you can jog a bit on that walk, but go for an extra walk that is at least 1000 steps. Takes about 2 months to see changes. Your body doesn't like loosing that fat. Take it slow and WALK it off. Do the other exercise normal. But just add that leisurely walk.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    It's hard to create a calorie deficit when you're already relatively light. Your body needs less calories to function, so it's very easy to blow your deficit with just one or two high calorie days. You have to be really diligent with your consumption for those last few pounds. I gave up on them and am more focused on lifting heavy and lowering body fat%.
  • Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    The reason it is so hard to lose the last few pounds is because your body sees that as an emergency energy storage so it is very reluctant to get rid of that. You have to convince your body it doesnt need that storage. In order to do that you are going to have to add 100 calories or so and see how your body responds. I know it sounds crazy but it almost always works and I can say for certain it worked for me and my team. If you dont gain or lose after 2 weeks up your calories another 100 and see how it responds again.
  • vismundcygnus27
    vismundcygnus27 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    ^^ I feel like it doesn't work that way...
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    ^^ I feel like it doesn't work that way...

That's because it doesn't.
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    As your body's fat stores get lower and lower, your body is more and more reluctant to give them up. Remember that your biology could care less about how you look: it cares about survival.

So how do you lose those last few pounds? You kind of have to trick your body a little bit.

1) Use very small deficits to achieve your goal. The larger the deficit, the more your body will want to hold on to its fat stores. We're not talking about 500 calories a day, we're talking about 100-200 tops if you're approaching optimal lean body mass.

2) Eat smaller meals more often. The body feels less of a need to hold on to fat stores when it: a) it becomes used to being replenished more often, and b) no longer has to store the energy to last for longer periods of time without replenishment.

3) You should be eating at maintenance or higher and exercising your way into a very small deficit rather than eating at a deficit to begin with. Again, this is part of tricking the body into releasing its fat stores. You have to start off with giving the body what it wants and needs before taking a tiny piece of it away.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    The reason it is so hard to lose the last few pounds is because your body sees that as an emergency energy storage so it is very reluctant to get rid of that. You have to convince your body it doesnt need that storage. In order to do that you are going to have to add 100 calories or so and see how your body responds. I know it sounds crazy but it almost always works and I can say for certain it worked for me and my team. If you dont gain or lose after 2 weeks up your calories another 100 and see how it responds again.

I know you will disagree but he is correct

Sometimes eating less is not the answer
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    For me it's lack of resolve...
  • FitnessLover001
    FitnessLover001 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have about 5 pounds to lose, I'm 5'2 and want to be at the 118-120 range. I was told my 60 min of cardio 6 days a week was terrible for me and burning my fiber muscles, and I need to start lifting more weight. I already count all my calories and eat healthy, So I think just to switch it up, I'm going to try two or three days of 30 min cardio sessions with a 45min lifting session and the other 3 or 4 days just do cardio, simply because I love cardio and I don't want to cut back on it fully. I love running long distances, so I like to keep my heart rate up for a good while. So I'd try some more lifting and see if that gives you results!
  • anna0478
    anna0478 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I agree with adding calories. When I hit a wall, it helps to let my body know I'm not trying to starve it to death, so I add calories, and then slowly back off or up my workouts. Does the trick every time and I go back into weightloss mode.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    wow just so much wrong in these posts of advice...

Changing exercise, eating less etc is all just wrong...eating less sure will help you lose weight but at what cost...2lbs a week for 10lbs I don't think so.

To the OP when I was at my last 10lbs and it seemed to be stubborn (well last 5) and it was I took a good hard look at my logging...

I hadn't been as diligent with staying in goal and not being diligent with weighing "everything" like sugar in my coffee etc...I was getting lack...mind you I did well 80% of the time but that didn't cut it.

So I buckled down, logged everything by weight for solids, measured my liquids and stayed in goal...and after 2 weeks the weight literally fell off and I changed nothing but my logging...that 20% really made a difference..no change in workouts, no change in calorie goal....none of that bro science.

before I knew it I was 3lbs below goal weight and eating at maitenance.
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I'd take a good hard look at your food logging before anything else. Make sure you are in a deficit. Your body will know if it is or not, after all...
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    It's hard to create a calorie deficit when you're already relatively light. Your body needs less calories to function, so it's very easy to blow your deficit with just one or two high calorie days. You have to be really diligent with your consumption for those last few pounds. I gave up on them and am more focused on lifting heavy and lowering body fat%.

^This. I'm within 10 lbs of "goal" and I'm focusing on lowering my body fat % now and hitting my training/fitness goals.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I got to my goal a week ago and then even a little lower than goal a couple days later. All I can say is I took the whole thing very slowly (started at end of January and made goal mid-July losing 25 lbs) and it wasn't always a linear path. Sometimes I gained a little and sometimes I lost a pound or two in a week. My exercises (mainly lifting weights) remained pretty consistant the whole time.

I did switch some things up during the last 10 weeks but not drastically. As I got closer to goal and things got stuck for a while, I started adding a little more cardio.

Diet wise, I think I started at my maintainance of 2700 and slowly worked my way down to 2000 calories. I decided I don't want to eat less than that (at least not on purpose). I had tried eating lower calories than that last year and I didn't get as lean because I couldn't stick with it as consistantly. This time I was very consistant and the 2000 calories thing lasted for several months. If I wasn't losing all I would do is a little more cardio. Other thing that I did this year which helped a lot was a weekly refeed at maintainince calories. Usually on my hardest workout day of a given week, I'd eat my normal 2000 calories plus 700 calories worth of extra carbs. This carb cycling stuff made me feel better, and seemed to help my metabolism along with mentally keeping me from cheating. I dind't have any 'cheat meals' because I didn't feel like I craved anything. I usually made healthy alternatives to dessert type foods whenever I wanted which also helped in this area.
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    My last 10 lbs was as easy as the first 100...

All it took was a calorie deficit. Once you know how many calories your body needs to run on a daily basis it's simple.

You need to be 100% accurate on every thing at that point though.
  • 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Options

I know you will disagree but he is correct

Sometimes eating less is not the answer
    Agree
  • 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    My last 10 lbs was as easy as the first 100...

All it took was a calorie deficit. Once you know how many calories your body needs to run on a daily basis it's simple.

You need to be 100% accurate on every thing at that point though.
    how do you know what that is?