Favorite salty snack ?!?

Options
MrsATrotta
MrsATrotta Posts: 278 Member
I swear my parents started feeding me potato chips the day I was born!! I am so addicted to chips it's unreal BUT obviously chips are a bad food choice for everyday. I usually have some tostitos bite size chips I can have like 24 and not kill my sodium or calories, another go to salty snack is pumpkin seeds and they are actually even lower sodium even though they are really salty.. I just love my salty snacks but I'm getting a little bored, any suggestions for something new??

Replies

• claychick2
    claychick2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This has been a tough one for me as I crave salty/crunchy more these days.

First, I drink some water. I find that when I crave salt (or food in general) that I'm often just thirsty. Then I look at my situation--movies, watching TV, some other time when I'm conditioned to want something salty/snacky.

Often I'll have raw veggies with oil/vinegar dip. I find the tartness of the vinegar sometimes cuts my salt craving. Maybe I just needed something with more flavor in general.

When I really want something and have budgeted for it, I'll have some sunflower seeds, popcorn, nuts, or cheese. Before I had to drop corn, I'd splurge on tortilla chips, but those were too much of a trigger for me.

I hope you get some great suggestions!
  • nikkohli
    nikkohli Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Roasted garbanzo beans! They are crunchy and can be seasoned however you like! I use ranch seasoning with a pinch of cayenne pepper :)
  • ahawkx
    ahawkx Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Pickles! For me, specifically baby pickles. Almost calorie free and they are my go to when I need a crunch and some salt :)
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I also like wasabi roasted soy beans, and blue diamond wasabi or smokehouse almonds. Yeah they are high in sodium, but that's not really a concern for me, especially in the summer.
  • CortNY3425
    Options
    Veggie Sticks !! The ones I eat, I can have almost 40 of them for only 130 calories !
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Salted pistachios with the shell on-1/4 cup.
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Plain potato chips-- with hummus or bean dip!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I could take or leave 'em all to be honest - I read through the other replies so far and the only one that sounds remotely good to me is some veggies with hummus! So I am a bit weird, I guess!
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Almonds, pistachios are some of my favorites! I also LOVE pickles. Hummus and veggie sticks are a great choice too. I haven't tried, but what about kale chips? Supposedly they're pretty yummy.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Pickles! Low in calories, high in sodium. Nom nom nom.
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    olives/pickles

celery and hummus usually takes care of my salty/crunchy craving

a few tostitos (actually now my fave is "waybetter snacks sweeet potato" tortilla c hips - sooo good) and salsa mixed with cottage cheese
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    pretzels!

or pickles!
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Snowpea Crisps, now available at Costco: http://harvestsnaps.com/products/snapea-crisps-lightly-salted
  • RawIndian
    RawIndian Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Try snacking on fruits. Your craving for salty snacks will go away.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I always crave sweet before salty, but I do love dill pickles - the small gherkins.
  • Shimmysista
    Shimmysista Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    this is my addiction

Bhuja-Snack.JPG
  • DayByDayGetStronger
    DayByDayGetStronger Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    To OP and anyone else who thinks packaged sunflower seeds (whole) are not that high in sodium. If you read the nutrition facts it states a portion is "1/4 cup without shell" and the sodium content is 135mg. This is taken from the David brand of sunflower seeds. If you only want 135mg of sodium, then you have to break the shells open with your hands and eat the nut inside without sucking on the shell.

If you look at the Frito Lay brand of seeds it states that 27g of kernels eaten with shells and seasoning is 1960mg sodium.

Very tricky, I agree and hate when food manufacturers do this to consumers. I am a Registered Dietitian who works with hypertensive, kidney failure patients and I have to educate them all the time on the practices of food companies. It's so misleading and even I was disappointed in the sodium content b/c I love, love, love the David brand of seeds when I'm camping.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Sea salt Special K cracker chips
  • mom2my4boys
    mom2my4boys Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I do the 100 calorie beef jerky packs. Low calorie/Salty and 17g protein. Pickles is another one. Air popped popcorn with a 1/2 package (20 cals) of those salty flavor packs, they come all different flavors.