No carb/no sugar diet

Options
Hello!

I saw a new doctor in the beginning of this summer and she ordered various kinds of blood tests in order to see where my levels were at (vitamin d, b12, hormones, etc). When the results came back she found I was positive for candida overgrowth in my gut as well as what she believed to be "leaky gut syndrome". In order to get rid of the yeast overgrowth she wants me to take oil of oregano, a probiotic which I can't remember the name of right now and to eliminat carbs and sugars for 1 to 3 months or until the yeast overgrowth is gone. Everything I have read online suggests lots of lean meats, but being a vegetarian I feel like I don't know what to eat and I start this diet change on Monday (7/28). Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Thanks!!

Replies

• DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Try a different doctor?
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    That sucks!!! (I don't have anything else to add - if you don't eat any meats at all I guess you can have really huge salads every day for lunch, and broccoli and carrots for dinner?)
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    check out whole30 website, :) might be a starting point. don't have to go that far but they take out sugars and refined carbs as well

was the probiotic VLS3 i hear a lot of good things about that one.
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    I would say no on the Carrots. Loaded with carbs and sugar.
    You don't eat meat of any kind? Or fish?
    I'm a low carber and there is no way to eat NO carbs and no sugar.
    Even vegetables have some carbs.
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I would say eggs and veggies but are complex carbs out too?
  • beldenc
    beldenc Posts: 10
    Options
    Yeah I saw this too! And yes I do have these symptoms which lead to that blood test in the first place. The no carbs and no sugar do not have to do with the leaky gut. Cutting out carbs and mainly sugars is to stop overgrowth of yeast (yeast loves sugar!). Leaky gut can (or what doctors think can) be caused by too much yeast in the intestines
  • beldenc
    Options
    Try a different doctor?

I think a second opinion might not be the worst thing.

Now of course, I AM NOT A DOCTOR, but looking on WebMD they say this:

""Leaky gut syndrome" is said to have symptoms including bloating, gas, cramps, food sensitivities, and aches and pains. But it's something of a medical mystery.

“From an MD’s standpoint, it’s a very gray area,” says gastroenterologist Donald Kirby, MD, director of the Center for Human Nutrition at the Cleveland Clinic. “Physicians don’t know enough about the gut, which is our biggest immune system organ.”

"Leaky gut syndrome" isn't a diagnosis taught in medical school. Instead, "leaky gut really means you’ve got a diagnosis that still needs to be made,” Kirby says. “You hope that your doctor is a good-enough Sherlock Holmes, but sometimes it is very hard to make a diagnosis.”

“We don’t know a lot but we know that it exists,” says Linda A. Lee, MD, a gastroenterologist and director of the Johns Hopkins Integrative Medicine and Digestive Center. “In the absence of evidence, we don’t know what it means or what therapies can directly address it.”

So reading this, it seems kind of strange that your doctor would use it as your diagnosis and immediately recommend treatment. Do you suffer from the symptoms listed above?

Yeah I saw this too! And yes I do have these symptoms which lead to that blood test in the first place. The no carbs and no sugar do not have to do with the leaky gut. Cutting out carbs and mainly sugars is to stop overgrowth of yeast (yeast loves sugar!). Leaky gut can (or what doctors think can) be caused by too much yeast in the intestines
  • beldenc
    Options
    I would say no on the Carrots. Loaded with carbs and sugar.
    You don't eat meat of any kind? Or fish?
    I'm a low carber and there is no way to eat NO carbs and no sugar.
    Even vegetables have some carbs.

No, no meats at all! And no fish. Yeah I'm sure I can still eat SOME carbs, like those found in vegetables. I think I just have to stay away from the real sugary carbs which would only increase the yeast growth. Thanks!!
  • vismundcygnus27
    vismundcygnus27 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    When I looked up "leaky gut syndrome", one of the first pages to come up was a Dr. Oz article, so I was a bit skeptical. The wiki article isn't that encouraging - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaky_gut_syndrome

According to Wiki, it's not a recognized medical diagnosis. And the website "Quackwatch" lists it as a fad diagnosis with no scientific backing. I'd definitely get a second opinion on this.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    so no fruits or vegetable at all??? pretty much everything you eat turns to sugar eventually. some carbs are good for you. did this doctor give you suggested meal plan as well. maybe get a second opinion from a certified nutritionist.
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Try a different doctor?

I think a second opinion might not be the worst thing.

Now of course, I AM NOT A DOCTOR, but looking on WebMD they say this:

""Leaky gut syndrome" is said to have symptoms including bloating, gas, cramps, food sensitivities, and aches and pains. But it's something of a medical mystery.

“From an MD’s standpoint, it’s a very gray area,” says gastroenterologist Donald Kirby, MD, director of the Center for Human Nutrition at the Cleveland Clinic. “Physicians don’t know enough about the gut, which is our biggest immune system organ.”

"Leaky gut syndrome" isn't a diagnosis taught in medical school. Instead, "leaky gut really means you’ve got a diagnosis that still needs to be made,” Kirby says. “You hope that your doctor is a good-enough Sherlock Holmes, but sometimes it is very hard to make a diagnosis.”

“We don’t know a lot but we know that it exists,” says Linda A. Lee, MD, a gastroenterologist and director of the Johns Hopkins Integrative Medicine and Digestive Center. “In the absence of evidence, we don’t know what it means or what therapies can directly address it.”

So reading this, it seems kind of strange that your doctor would use it as your diagnosis and immediately recommend treatment. Do you suffer from the symptoms listed above?

^^ This... I am not a doctor either, but here on the West Coast some our Internists at UCSD Medical Center (some of the best physicians on the West Coast) never make health care decisions based on a first diagnosis. Which leads me to ask, you never mention if this was a first or second opinion... or if these doctor's instructions were the first step in treatment and more like a "doctor's suggestion"?

That said, best of luck to you... The only suggestion I can offer to your original post is to read the nutritional labels on all foods. It is how I manage my sugar intake and it was such an education... there is such a variance in nutritional values in even the basic of all foods, bread. I only purchase my breads based on their stated nutritional value!
  • beldenc
    Options
    When I looked up "leaky gut syndrome", one of the first pages to come up was a Dr. Oz article, so I was a bit skeptical. The wiki article isn't that encouraging - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaky_gut_syndrome

According to Wiki, it's not a recognized medical diagnosis. And the website "Quackwatch" lists it as a fad diagnosis with no scientific backing. I'd definitely get a second opinion on this.

Okay I guess I should not have mentioned her mention of "leaky gut syndrome" because this is NOT MY DIAGNOSIS and not my point of this post!! My diagnosis is candida overgrowth in my gut which means that feeding the yeast in my gut with sugary foods will only make it continue to grow and get worse. I posted this to get help with ideas for things I can eat in the next month or so. I do not need a second opinion on the overgrowth of yeast in my gut. My blood test was positive and it will come out positive in the next blood test as well. An opinion by a nutritionist on what to eat yes, but not by another doctor who will tell me my blood test is positive again.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Amazing the extremes people go to instead of just moderating caloric intake and exercising.
  • vismundcygnus27
    vismundcygnus27 Posts: 98 Member
    Options

Okay I guess I should not have mentioned her mention of "leaky gut syndrome" because this is NOT MY DIAGNOSIS and not my point of this post!! My diagnosis is candida overgrowth in my gut which means that feeding the yeast in my gut with sugary foods will only make it continue to grow and get worse. I posted this to get help with ideas for things I can eat in the next month or so. I do not need a second opinion on the overgrowth of yeast in my gut. My blood test was positive and it will come out positive in the next blood test as well. An opinion by a nutritionist on what to eat yes, but not by another doctor who will tell me my blood test is positive again.

Even then, when I looked up "candida overgrowth", I was also getting no reliable results. Your doctor seems to be putting you on a "candida cleanse diet", which also seems to be primarily supported by alternative medicine types. The whole thing just seems strange to me.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I am dealing with candida overgrowth right now.

You don't have to completely cut carbs/sugars. Steer clear of artificial sugars, added sugars and anything that says "Naturally sweetened". Steer clear of bread, pasta, and limit other starchy carbs to a few times a week if that.

Fill up on veggies, coconut oil, nuts and seeds, and whatever protein sources you currently use (provided they don't contain the added sugars mentioned above.

Finally, add a high quality prebiotic and a probiotic every day.

Good luck. Hope you feel better soon!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

got it...look up vegetarian ketogenic diet.
    Done.
    :drinker:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I have to ask.....was this a real doctor you saw?

The leaky gut syndrome & candida overgrowth rang alarm bells......

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/candida-and-fake-illnesses/