100 lb + weight loss: how do you stay motivated?

Options
I ultimately want to lose 111lbs. I have set an intermediate goal of 199 by jan 1 2015 because look at the number 111 overwhelms me. I would like to hear from you. What has kept you going for the long term?

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    i only had 80 to lose starting out, but set small goals, say 20 lbs at time. breaking it up into smaller chunks makes it feel much less daunting. take it one day at a time, focus on the short term as much as possible

just try to focus on the fact that every day you stay within your calorie goal is one less day that you'll have to worry about your weight in the future.

or alternatively, dont think about it at all. try to put it to the back of your mind, i find it makes it much easier to control cravings and whatnot when your busy with other things, and once you get into the groove of things eating becomes a sort of autopilot operation. i eat nearly the same thing everyday so it quite easy to absent mindly stay within my goals
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am also a fan of mini goals. You can set 10-15 lb goals and celebrate hitting them along the way. It makes it easier to stay on track when you goal is smaller and closer than large ones far off in the distance.

Another idea, weight loss can be a frustrating journey and the scale can be your best friend or your worse enemy depending on the day. Setting fitness goals has helped me alot along the way. I personally find meeting my fitness goals more satisfying than seeing the scale go down. Even if thats not the case for you it gives you other goals to be achieving and feeling good about when the scale is just being stubborn.
  • ABetterMe58
    Options
    I wish I could learn to enjoy exercise and use it for motivation. I struggle to make myself exercise. I am joining a gym next month and I hope this will help me because they offer a variety of classes and get more motivated.
  • Bri_Becq
    Bri_Becq Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    MINI goals will get you there! slow and steady wins the race. And it helps maintain the weight off!
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    I wish I could learn to enjoy exercise and use it for motivation. I struggle to make myself exercise. I am joining a gym next month and I hope this will help me because they offer a variety of classes and get more motivated.
    honestly i think it will. lifting weights is a great motivator for me, cardio not so much. i find it just made me feel fat and out of shape
  • ABetterMe58
    Options
    I thought taking it 11lbs at the time. Losing 11lbs 10x do see sound better than 111!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    honestly i think it will. lifting weights is a great motivator for me, cardio not so much. i find it just made me feel fat and out of shape

I hope you find something. Over the last year running has changed me so much (this coming from the girl who never once passed the mile in school and hated running my entire life, until about a year ago). Sometimes when the right thing and the right time come along things just click. MFP is a great place to find some incredibly inspiring friends to lead you along the way.
  • ABetterMe58
    Options

You sound like my husband. He needs to lose about the same amount of weight as I do but he is gym obsessed. He lifts 5 days a week and if he goes less I can't live with him! He's addicted.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think the more you have to lose, the better off you are. What makes weight loss much easier is when it becomes just part of your routine. If you've got a lot of weight to lose, it's not going to be just a short-term change. You've got loads of time to find what works for you and settle into it, so it becomes second-nature.

You've also got the benefit of having several times when you'll notice big changes, and how massively better you feel. For instance, at one point, I was able to comfortably sit in chairs with arms again, then I was able to do a push up, then I was able to sit in folding chairs without worrying, then I could climb the stairs without getting winded... You'll have a lot of little milestones to celebrate that will keep you motivated.

I know it seems like you're staring down a never-ending path, but you'll get there. Just start walking, and at some point you'll find that you're just enjoying the stroll! :)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I agree with the mini goals idea. I have lost 130 lb since 2008 but I NEVER thought I'd lose over 100 lb. Along the way it's always been mini goals of losing 20-30 lb and then resetting my goals when those are achieved. Honestly for me personally...I don't think I would have had as much motivation to even BEGIN if I was focusing on a number like 70, 80, or 100+ because it would just sound too extreme to me and too overwhelming.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I also had about 80 to lose in total. I ignored how much I had to lose until just recently when I was trying to think of a target (which remains a range BTW). I just didn't bother thinking about how much I had to go (if you asked me I couldn't have told you), just focused on planning my calories, macros and then planning my meals every day and just getting on with my life.

I've not bothered with exercise beyond trying to walk for an hour every day. Figuring out anything else would just suck the motivation I use for planning meals, but that's just me.

When I reach my "target", I plan on setting some new goals for exercise, but I'll think about that when the time comes.
  • jamical
    jamical Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Even though I'm still a work in progress (I'd like to lose another 10lbs and I'm training for a competition this fall), I was asked to post my own story to my gym's website and here's what I wrote. You may find some of it useful:

Healthy Lifestyle Achievement:
    With the guidance, support, classes and facilities available to me, I was able to lose over 200lbs. over the past four years – without surgery, pills or other supplements. Instead of a quick fix, I focused on making small, sustainable changes to my diet and fitness regimen that I could maintain and add-to as time went on. I went from sedentary and physically-challenged (a simple walk around the block was a daunting task) to a physically-active fitness and healthy lifestyle enthusiast.

Story of success:
    There were four critical factors in my success: mental, physical, nutrition and support. Had I not taken the time to get my “head straight,” the other physical and nutritional changes would never have been sustainable. The support factor is one many overlook, but it was the game-changer for me. The trainers and other members I met here have become an integral part of my life and have made countless impacts on my journey towards a healthy mind and body. I am sincerely grateful to trainers and coaches for their guidance and expertise. Their impact on my training and approach to fitness has been immense and it’s with their help that I’ve decided to compete in my first fitness competition this fall! When others ask me about my journey, I tell them that it was the most challenging thing I’ve ever done, but the effort pays off in spades. I love the new outlook I have on life and my body as they continue to evolve, and am so appreciative for the path those mentioned have helped me pave.
  • erikarobles
    erikarobles Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I am not saying this works for everyone but I am a huge fan of the 25 or 30 min workouts. I can always talk myself into working out by just repeating to myself "its only 3 minutes". I figured out yesterday that in 2014 besides my Sunday rest days I have only missed 5 workouts!!!! That is between Focus T25 and P90x3. I never thought I could workout at home but I am!!!! Good luck!!!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I changed how I looked at weight loss. At first, it was all about hitting my goal weight - and that weight seemed absolutely unattainable. So instead, I would aim to lose 20 pounds at a time. As time went by, it wasn't really about hitting goal weight anymore - it was about living a happier, healthier life. I enjoyed how eating better made me feel. I liked how my body looked and felt after exercise. THAT was the goal; weight loss was the side effect.

I've been maintaining my 130+ pound loss for almost two years now and sometimes I'm totally amazed that I've managed it because it just isn't that hard. And the reason it's not hard is because I really changed how I live my life. I changed my priorities. Exercise became not just a habit, but one of the best parts of my day. Eating well became a way of life. I still have days where I don't live up to these new habits, but two things on that - those days are the exception, not the rule; and I simply don't *feel* as good when I deviate from my regular routine.

So, bottom line - instead of focusing on losing 100 pounds, focus on living your life like someone who is 100 pounds thinner. Now that I live like a fit, healthy person, I AM a fit healthy person. I continue the very same habits I used to lose weight, with a bit more wiggle room. I eat great food, I indulge on occasion, I exercise because it's awesome, not because it means I can eat more.

My motivation to lose, and my motivation to maintain, is the same: I live life more fully when I'm fit and active. I enjoy my days more. I have more energy. Everything - seriously, everything - is better now. And it's not better because I'm at my goal weight; my life was nice when I weighed 300 pounds too, and there are many people who are overweight who live wonderful lives. But for me, life is better because my weight was holding me back from experiencing it - physically, emotionally - and now there is very little in the way. So when I have a rough weekend where I eat too much and think of just throwing in the towel and sliding back into bad habits, I think about how it feels to hike for miles with my family...the example I set for my son....the freedom of being able to do anything I set my mind to...how much simpler it is to shop for clothes...that I can look myself in the mirror and, flaws and all, be really fricking proud of what I've accomplished.

That's my motivation. It's not the number on the scale, it's the adventures I get to have now that I'm not letting my body and mind hold me back.

Joining a gym for me was life changing. I love classes and I love lifting. It's a rare day when I have to make myself exercise (though those days absolutely do happen! Once I get there and get going, it's fine. And if it's not, it's only an hour!)

Best of luck to you :)
  • lildynarider
    lildynarider Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I had around 100 lbs to lose and I broke it up into chunks. I'm setting goals to lose 10% at a time. This is much more manageable for me. After I reach each of these mini goals instead of just jumping into the next goal I take time to celebrate. I post side by side pics of me pre and after weight loss everywhere. When pics are side by side everyone notices. I took myself out for a cheap because I don't have a lot of money spa day, mani and pedi. I ate a food I'd been really craving but hadn't allow myself to have and then I jumped back in to the weight loss fray. On to the next goal and healthier lifestyle. You can do this =)
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think the more you have to lose, the better off you are. What makes weight loss much easier is when it becomes just part of your routine. If you've got a lot of weight to lose, it's not going to be just a short-term change. You've got loads of time to find what works for you and settle into it, so it becomes second-nature.

You've also got the benefit of having several times when you'll notice big changes, and how massively better you feel. For instance, at one point, I was able to comfortably sit in chairs with arms again, then I was able to do a push up, then I was able to sit in folding chairs without worrying, then I could climb the stairs without getting winded... You'll have a lot of little milestones to celebrate that will keep you motivated.

I know it seems like you're staring down a never-ending path, but you'll get there. Just start walking, and at some point you'll find that you're just enjoying the stroll! :)

Definitely this^. There is comfort in having time/patience to play with what works for you and what doesn't, and have the time to develop new habits knowing that this is a long-term commitment.
  • shadowjack1965
    shadowjack1965 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Definitely mini goals. For me I started with my first five pounds and then moved to 10. I'd lost weight a couple years ago so set a target to get back to that same weight level and then to move beyond it. 10 more pounds and I would weigh the same I was at in 2005. That was a big one for me.

Your battle starts in your mind. I had to get myself alone and tear down all the excuses and the barriers I'd built up in my head. Plus I had to reign in my rogue stomach since it had become a spoiled, petulant child because I indulged it every time it made even the slightest little demand.

My knees were killing me and I knew if I didn't change I was going to need replacement surgery. In the end though (I'm 49) I used the motivation that if I didn't change I was going to die sooner than I wanted.

The gym can be your friend but I know exactly what you mean about the motivation to go. The problem might be you're likely where you are now somewhat reluctantly. Kind of like being up extra early to do something but you'd much rather still be sleeping and you're hypothetically standing right next to your bed and it's calling you to lay back down.

That's a great start, but now you have to begin the fight of WANTING to begin the painful process of denying your body it's urges and temptations and start doing the right thing for you.

Soon you'll see that one pound becomes two, then four, etc. One day you'll be at a 10 lb loss and feel good about yourself and have the confidence to realize "I CAN DO THIS..."

Because you can. :)
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I want to get to about 190lbs, which from my original start weight was 117lbs. Of course, if I look at 117...well that's when I struggle. So I try really hard to not think about it. Smaller goals along the way. I try to focus on ten pound chunks. I made a point based system for myself and I wont let myself spend money on clothes or shoes or books or tattoos until I earn enough points for it. That way it feels like a game. It's been about three weeks since I've been back using MFP and back on a routine. It's starting to feel like normal.

The important thing to focus on is one foot in front of the other. Step by step and it becomes a habit eventually.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    yeah delete that goal of 111 lbs. Do 20lbs chunks. Much easier.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i did mini goals as well, but one thing that keeps me going was/is, every day that i eat healthier, exercise, make better choices for myself, is better than not. also, I reveled in every pound lost, cause if I never lost another pound, well, at least i wasn't 1 pound heavier.

Cause here's a news flash for you, once you lose the 100 el bees. you gotta then work on maintaining your goal weight, thats when the real work begins, for the rest of your life.