• edmwnd
    edmwnd Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    A potato.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I've had...not always at the same time:

An Owl (My dad saved 2 baby owls from a tree when a storm messed up their nest and the mother never came back)
    A rat
    Alligator Lizard
    Pigeon (saved him...couldn't fly, he had a lame wing)
    Various snakes
    Tarantula
    Scorpion

We raised rabbits at one point, so they weren't exactly "pets"...although they were really tasty.
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    hmmm. We had two zebra finches (it's a bird!) when I was a kid. They even had babies ^^; But one of them flew away and the other one became so sad about it :( they were a couple..
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,255 Member
    Options
    We had a crow for about 3 years. My dad "winged" it hunting. He brought it home, nursed it back to health and the darn thing wouldn't leave. Cage door stayed open all day long. The crow would fly out and sit on the fence. Every night Eddie would fly back in his cage. He eventually flew off.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Not very unusual but I had a rabbit that I would take on walks in a harness. It was a champion at the county fair.
  • princessofredrock
    princessofredrock Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Had an opossum! He got hit by a car in front of our house. He was so injured that (after taking him to the vet) while nursing him back to health, we had to do physical therapy because he could not walk. It took about a month and he was back on his feet and living in our bathtub! lol

We would take him outside and he would follow us around making clicking noises to find his way. He could not see and that is why he was so docile.

You have to have a "permit" to keep a wild animal. We were not granted one so we took him to an animal sanctuary. Best part about taking him there was the look on the rangers face when she opened the door to my husband nose to nose with "possum" who weighed a good 30 lbs! She took several steps back and was speechless!

He was sweet but only because he was old and blind and I am quite convinced he knew how good he had it in our home rather than dodging cars on the street!
  • ChriJMitch
    ChriJMitch Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I had a hedgehog for a good number of years. Had to give him to a friend because the landlord wouldn't let me keep him when I moved. Deemed him "illegal" because he was "exotic". He was super cute. I miss him :(
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    We currenlty have, in residence, 2 mice, 6 hermit crabs, 2 beta fish, 2 cats and 1 dog, 3 children (out of 5) and 2 parents. It's a funny farm!!!
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    a huge fox snake that lived in my dads meadow

a toad that lived in my yard

worms
  • Jerseygrrl
    Jerseygrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    A pig named Penny.
    Not the pot-bellied kind. Just a plain old Yorkshire.
  • KarmaKills
    KarmaKills Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My little sister had a house trained rooster named Brewster. lol
  • QueenMother14
    QueenMother14 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    We have had dogs, pigs, fish, guinea pig, and now a hedgehog.
  • MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    We had a female pig that was the runt of the littler at a farm my mom was working at - Squigley. we took her home and she was so little she got baths in the kitchen sink! She also destroyed the entire back yard and dad was mad so he made her a pen. Eventually, she got too big to keep at home so the farm took her back and kept her as a celebrity type pig that would be on display for everyone to pet when the town had their festivals. About a year later she was well over 500 pounds... and for years after that they kept putting a different pig in the pen and saying it was her. Im assuming, she got slaughtered...but at least we gave her a couple nice years instead of being killed right away as a little runt!

I also had a white lab rat that someone at school bought as bait for his snake and threw in a public closet to "store" it!!!! I stole him and he lived for 5 years - even batteled cancer, lost all his hair, won, and grew it all back. He had multiple names ranging from "big balls" (well, they were huge..) whitey, and rat.

We had a homing pigeon that broke its wing - her name was July. She stuck around the entire month of July then returned every year after that for at least 4 years....

Hermit crabs. They were actually pretty boring.

Now i have a horse. But she's not so much a pet, as she is a partner.
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I have a 6 year old little girl. She is a homo sapien and the weirdest creature I have ever had live in my house. Supper cuddly but loves wiggling her bony little hiney when sitting on your lap thus causing pain for whomever is the recipient of said attention. The cats listen better than she does. *nods*
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Fluffy, the Easter tarantula.

Back story, years ago, my DH found a tarantula on our driveway on Easter weekend. My small kids were visiting that weekend, and instead of getting them an Easter bunny or chick (really don't like that practice at all), DH and I presented them with their Easter tarantula. The kids named him "Fluffy" cuz you know, tarantulas are kinda fuzzy and fluffy.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid we had a cat with an extra toe / paw...
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    We currently have a snapping turtle named Inigo Montoya, a ball python, and a chinchilla (Mike Wazowski) in addition to our dog and 3 cats.

As a kid we had just about everything you can imagine, goats, birds, ferrets, rats, mice, etc.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Not all that unusual, but I had an escape artist dwarf hamster that would jump from my desk to my bed early in the morning and snuggle up with me.

I currently own a teacup poodle who hates men and is a fierce guard dog, all 3.7lbs of her. She ain't afraid of s***.

I have a male Boston terrier that doesn't know how to dog. Doesn't know how to play with toys, never barks or whines, and is everyone's best friend.

I also have a female Boston whom we nicknamed Tweek. She's a complete coward, but can be super sweet. She twitches non-stop.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    A racing pigeon that wasn't ours~

He landed, exhausted, in our yard in the UK. We scooped him up in a box which had 'Chips' written on the side, so his nickname became 'Chip'. We tried to release him from our yard, but he came back every night. Tried from a high hill. He came back. Eventually we got into contact with a local pigeon racing group who managed to trace his tags and we made the road trip to hand deliver him to his owner.

...and then a few months later, a second pigeon landed in our yard... (That time we had to ship him home, he lived too far up the country and my dad wasn't willing to drive it.)
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    A five foot long boa constrictor. I used to buy him mice at the pet store. They'd ask if I needed a cage for the mouse ... I'd say I already had a cage for it. And a roommate.