Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Eating under the deficit after you've gone over

What do you think the risk is for this? Or how risky do you think this is? (as far as losing muscle, being unhealthy)
Example:
Calorie goal is 1800 (500 calorie deficit). So let's say I went over one day and ate 2400 (100 over maintenance, 600 over goal). Then the next day I did 1200 (600 under goal) to kind of "makeup" for it. I still met my protein macros on both days.

Thoughts?

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    I usually look at my calories within the week instead of in a day. So what you're saying isn't risky at all.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    You'll be fine. Our bodies aren't geared on a strict 24 hour basis. As long as the large deficits aren't done over a prolonged period of time, you won't suffer any ill effects like muscle loss (as long as you have a resistance training program in addition to an adequate protein intake).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Doesn't matter. Think of it as a weekly deficit if you want. Lots of people do intermittent fasting protocols where they eat much less on some days than others. There's no harm from having low calories on a particular day, unless it's going to mess you up mentally and make it more likely you will get into some kind of binge and fast pattern.

I do this based on net calories sometimes. For example, I'm planning to run 7 miles on Saturday and to take an off day on Friday, but have plans to go out to eat Friday night. I'll surely go over on Friday and not eat all my Saturday exercise calories, and I see no reason not to think of them together and see both as consistent with my goal.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    I usually look at my calories within the week instead of in a day. So what you're saying isn't risky at all.
    + 1
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member

Same here. In fact sometimes I do a deficit of a couple hundred for a couple days in a row if I know I'm going to go over on the weekend. I've been managing my diet this way for over a year and it's working out great.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Lot of people do it that way. I don't, I just go back to my set calorie limit the next day and carry on.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I think it depends on how much under you are...

I typically look at weekly goals...so if I go over one day not a big deal I have days to work with that number but I learned the hard way not to go too low...not because of being over but just "forgetting" to eat because I got busy.

I was at 1200 and for 2 days I didn't feel right, I was tired, lethargic, weak and sick to my stomache...

So look at weekly goals and don't go too low...
  • I always go by the week. I am over some days, like if I go out to eat or something. I still track the calories. Then I am under other days to make up for it. Every week I aim to meet my weekly goal or be within 100 calories of it. I think this is easier to manage, since some days you might be at a party where there's awesome snacks available and other days you might be perfectly content with a chicken salad. Never just throw up your hands and stop tracking... it is okay to let days balance each other out. :D
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    I also agree with others who don't cut to compensate. I don't do that (anymore). I go for the "weekly" calorie goal thing, but one week I had a big day, so compensated by eating a 1300 calorie day (on a rest day, too). Oh, that did not agree with me, since next day I was feeling very faint and dizzy and weak (caught up with me?). Never again for me.

I'd be more willing to cut a little bit (100 cals or less) over several days, or just log it, forget it, and move on. In your case, if you don't compensate, you're still looking at a 2,900 calorie deficit for the week, which is still not too shabby.:flowerforyou:
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    When I look at my week view, normally my days are higher one day...then lower and mon-thurs tend to be lower than goal, then fri-sun are just above goal. I have lost consistently like this and believe most has been fat loss. I have never gone over or at maintenance but if I did I think I would adjust over a few days and not try to fix it in one, unless I really just wasn't hungry the next day which would be likely.

Overall I do not worry about being over daily, I use the week goal also.
  • Thanks guys! I'm not so worried about it now. It was so discouraging to go over deficit that I wanted to just keep eating over. :grumble: Comforting myself w/ food when I'm upset about eating too much food. Yikes. So I'll try to not to see it as a failure when I go over in a day because it's the weekly goal that's important and then I won't be as inclined to stress eat/ comfort eat. The weekly goal is a good idea for me because I do go over sometimes but I'll try to get as close as I can daily since I feel better that way.
    Ok, I can do this. :smile: Thanks again.
  • KBmoments
    KBmoments Posts: 193 Member
    Don't feel bad! I go by weekly net calories as well. If I overeat a LOT on one day, I might spread the over eaten calories over a few days so I'm not starving the next day. I've gone by weekly calories and have been consistently losing lbs the last 2 months!
  • Rosyone
    Rosyone Posts: 74 Member
    For me it depends entirely on whether the over-the-goal eating was planned and deliberate or out of control.

I take my punishment for mindless over eating, draw a line under it, and start fresh the next day with my full budget of calories. Otherwise I'm afraid I'd fall into the habit of stuffing my face today with the delusional assumption that somehow I'll find it easier to starve tomorrow. I know what would happen if I did that: I'd eventually dispense with the follow-up and gain back the weight I've lost.

I don't see anything wrong with planning ahead for special occasions, though, even if the "special occasion" is dinner with mom and a rare opportunity for a serving of her amazing lasagna. Decide whether or not it's worth it, plan ahead on when and how you will compensate, then enjoy the lasagna without guilt.
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    I try to stick to my daily goal where possible but I generally look at my intake over the course of the week. A lot of people eat 100-200 under goal during the week to 'save' their calories for a treat, ensuring they are still in deficit over the course of the week. If I fancy a little treat one evening during the week or at the weekend, I will 'borrow' calories from previous days (I very rarely hit my calorie goal) to ensure my weekly average is never over. This method prevents me feeling really guilty about going over on my calories on the odd day.

One of the biggest things I have learned on here is that if you go over your goal significantly, don't punish yourself by starving the next day. Just continue hitting your goal and keep an eye on the weekly average. Far too many people enter a binge/starve cycle.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    You can have a full day of not eating and still be fine as long as your overall intake and nutrients are well managed in the days around it. Sometimes people get too bogged down in details and forget how amazing and adaptable our bodies are. If our ancestors were breaking down due to one odd day of eating too little we wouldn't have been here to talk about it.
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    It makes perfect sense to make up for an overage with a deficit, to take you back to square one. Some people sometimes borrow calories from the next day and then make up for them, so then they're even.
  • GummyBears7779
    GummyBears7779 Posts: 35 Member
    I don't think it matters, because you'll make up for it over time anyway. And you were only 100 over maintainence, which won't really take any effect at all since you've got a 600 cal deficeit