Diary of an over eater...

Options
I seriously have a problem..If I like something I eat way to much of it I'm using MFP to track my calories but it's hard I even look at the numbers some day's and I'm like seriously why? Like a few days ago I had a banana split icecream sandwich and well I decided that it was only 120 calories I'll just have 2 WHY?! Why did I need 2? 1 wasn't satisfying enough really? I always do this to myself then I hate myself for an hour and get over it. I do so well with my eating habits when I am at work but when I get home I graze and over eat. Please help me with some motivation to stay on track! I have changed alot of eating habits ie making healthier choices I switched to turkey/chicken as apposed to beef and I do have more fresh fruits and veggies as well but this is my crutch.

Replies

• _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    What has worked for me is to take the time and plan my food the night before. I prepare all my meals, plan ahead and STICK to the plan. If I haven't already worked it into my day then I don't eat it. This has allowed me to lose a significant amount of weight, hit my macro and calorie goals but beyond the success it leaves me in control. Being in control and having the willpower to stay in control is key.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    I used to do that. I can't say I had one "aha!" moment or anything miraculous happened, but I started slowly, just like you are. Good job!

Also, whatever you are planning to eat, only put HALF of it on your plate. Put the rest away or only make 1/2 to begin with. Tell yourself that IF after you finish your first portion and you wait long enough for your brain to register that you are full, then you can have the rest. Nine times out of ten, you won't need or want the other portion. Good luck!
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    What has worked for me is to take the time and plan my food the night before. I prepare all my meals, plan ahead and STICK to the plan. If I haven't already worked it into my day then I don't eat it. This has allowed me to lose a significant amount of weight, hit my macro and calorie goals but beyond the success it leaves me in control. Being in control and having the willpower to stay in control is key.

Same here. Preplanning makes it a lot easier to stay within your calories. It's not a big deal though if you go over 100 calories every once in a while. I usually do once a week or so.
  • FitnessLover001
    FitnessLover001 Posts: 188 Member
    Options

THIS. This sums it up!!!
  • metre30
    metre30 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I wish there was a magical cure for this! One thing I do is pre-plan but then also reflect the next day and write down three things I did well and one thing I need to improve on. It really helps keep my head in the game!
  • jinxiemay
    jinxiemay Posts: 17
    Options
    Make planning your week's meals fun. I pre cook things I know I use a lot on Sunday. I make a pot of veggie chili or black beans and about 6 grilled chicken breasts, steam a lot of broccoli or whatever your fave veggies are. Getting a lot of tupperware meal containers are the best thing I've done for my diet. I put my chicken or sandwich in and the black beans and broccoli or carrots/salad whatever I'm having and make 5 plates for my lunch each week and keep the rest in bigger containers for dinners. ALSO if you have a crockpot try making a large meal and freezing them so you can take them out if you don't have time on your prep day!
    DO NOT KEEP JUNK SNACKS IN THE HOUSE!! |
    I'm an overeater and a BORED eater so if I have 100 calorie ice creams in my freezer I'm liable to eat about 3 in one night. Which could be worse, but to keep it from happening with worse things I don't buy anything at the grocery store unless it's on my list. Plus I'm way too lazy after work to go out for ice cream or snacks after I'm home haha. That probably helps me a lot too.
    You're on the right track though sweetie!! I was a fast food junkie and never cooked. I ended up at 262 pounds at 5'9 (just like yourself!) and my goal weight is 170. I've revolutionized the way I eat in baby steps :) Keep it up!
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    You HAVE to be honest with yourself.

You HAVE to look at those numbers.

It will be brutal. Ugly. Hurtful. You will feel shame, guilt, anger. But you MUST, you MUST keep looking a those numbers. They are what is real, they show what you are doing. They are the reason you have the weight you are trying to lose.

Look at yourself in the mirror, full-length, nude, fat, cellulite, scars, flaws, all of it. Imagine yourself stronger, faster, version 2.0.

Use THAT as your motivation. No person can give you motivation, you have to find your own internal motivators. This fight is YOUR fight, and one no one else can fight for you.

Good luck.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the others. Planning my day ahead of time, helps me SO much. When I start to feel like snacking, or whatever, I can look at my diary and see that I have it all planned out. To me, if its already in there, its easier to stick to. Are there days that I don't? Sure. But they are the exception, rather than the rule.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    If what you're eating causes you to overeat, try more protein and fat-rich foods, as its quite difficult to overeat on both, carbs on the other hand I think we can often can never get enough of sometimes, especially if there's sugar/ non-complex carbs involved. If you're overeating for other reasons, as many of us have, try at least identify those issues, then you can look to take action on them :)
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    You HAVE to be honest with yourself.

You HAVE to look at those numbers.

It will be brutal. Ugly. Hurtful. You will feel shame, guilt, anger. But you MUST, you MUST keep looking a those numbers. They are what is real, they show what you are doing. They are the reason you have the weight you are trying to lose.

Look at yourself in the mirror, full-length, nude, fat, cellulite, scars, flaws, all of it. Imagine yourself stronger, faster, version 2.0.

Use THAT as your motivation. No person can give you motivation, you have to find your own internal motivators. This fight is YOUR fight, and one no one else can fight for you.

Good luck.

I agree. You must be honest with yourself. Then you will be open to change
  • lenarashminraj
    lenarashminraj Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    this is the main problem i experience too.. what i understood from my experience is , "Do not buy unhealthy stuffs and do not go to a dessert place". I chose a small plate for me to eat my food, but i too have some cheat days in between. Be happy that our food habits are better than earlier. i will cook all my meals, hardly i eat from outside. If im going to eat from outside, i check the calories first and have my food. To avoid more temptation, after my food, i go out and sit in car till my husband and kid finish their food. yup, its tough.
    But worst thing is when my hus and kid come home with a big pizza at the exact time i finish my dinner. then i will eat a slice by thinking i had a small salad for dinner today. But when i write it in MFP, i feel horrible for 1hour..