Treadmill running

Options
beth0277
beth0277 Posts: 217 Member
I can run outside a few miles with not much problem (I didn't say run fast! But I can run) I recently joined a gym and it has been really convenient for me with it being so hot to try to get my running in on a treadmill. I love running and don't want to replace it with other work outs, only add to it. Problem is, I have been getting the worst shin pains when I run on the treadmill. To the point where I am almost in tears and feel like my bones are going to break. I don't get this pain outside. What gives? What can I do to help it?

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    are you running on an incline on the treadmill/ whats the terrain like that you run on outside?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Try adding a slight incline.
  • Dhemeyer
    Dhemeyer Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    are you running on an incline on the treadmill/ whats the terrain like that you run on outside?

ouch... sounds painful :frown:
    I'm wondering the same thing as BigT555. I usually get similar pain when I need to change shoes, I've let my conditioning slack, or I add miles too quickly. The treadmill may be a bit too hard a surface (especially if you're running trails, a track or on grass when you run outside). If you do in fact have something like shin splints or stress fractures running on an incline will only make the problem worse. At times, an incline may make your legs feel better, but that's often times because you're changing your foot strick to accomodate. However, should you become fatigued while running on an incline, your form may suffer and your foot strick could get back again and then the incline will add further strain to your injury.
    Try resting until the pain no longer occures during your run. If you can get to a running store, they can anylize your foot strike and recommend good shoes. I find rest to be the best answer... although I'm not the best at taking my own advice :wink:
    Best of luck!
  • beth0277
    Options
    I do not run on an incline on the treadmill. The terrain outside when I run is mostly flat and paved. I run on a biking trail. I do use really low support shoes (Nike Frees) BUT they are perfect for me outside. I know people hate those shoes for running but they really have been fine for me. I wonder if I need to be fitted with something differently for treadmill running.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I do not run on an incline on the treadmill. The terrain outside when I run is mostly flat and paved. I run on a biking trail. I do use really low support shoes (Nike Frees) BUT they are perfect for me outside. I know people hate those shoes for running but they really have been fine for me. I wonder if I need to be fitted with something differently for treadmill running.
    Try a 1.0 or 1.5 incline. It might help.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    could be you're changing something in your stride and that's effecting how you land.

i know i have to shorten my stride a bit because other wise it seems like i'm going to propel myself into the console
  • Aliciaaah
    Aliciaaah Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem. I can run for 40 minutes (slowly like you) with no problem outside, but I'm hard pressed to run 5 minutes on a treadmill. I breath faster, I stomp hard on the treadmill, it all makes me very self conscious and so much harder to keep going! That said, I run pretty flat footed which I don't think is the best for running in general, but especially treadmills.

I have noticed though that different treadmills treat me differently. The ones at my main gym are the worst, but other gyms seem to be a bit better.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    could be you're changing something in your stride and that's effecting how you land.

i know i have to shorten my stride a bit because other wise it seems like i'm going to propel myself into the console
    Good point. I also shorten my stride a bit on the treadmill.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Try concentrating on your stride and comparing it to that on the road. Are you taking bigger strides, and landing heavier on the treadmill?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I'm flummoxed. The problem you are describing is backwards from what I know. Most people find that treadmill running can ease shin splints because the surface has more give than the pavement. Shin splints are usually caused by too much too soon, too hard or the wrong shoes.

I suffered from shin splints terribly when I was a gymnast back in my teenage years. We ran vault on the concrete area in front of the doors in the basketball gym. I iced them every day after practice and we eventually added padding under the vault run which cured me.

Trying to figure out what's up with your shin splints: have you increased your mileage since running on the treadmill? A sudden, large increase in running time could cause shin splints. The other comment about a possible different running form while on the treadmill could be another cause.

Until you get it figured out, I'd dial back on the running if not all out quitting for a bit. Icing your shins and resting are the two easiest ways to alleve them.

ETA: I did a little more digging on this because I'm curious. Two recommendations are to use a slight incline as mentioned above because consistently running downhill inclines will definitely cause shin splints and it's possible the treadmill you're using isn't entirely level. Change to 1% incline and see if that helps.

The other issue mentioned is that a treadmill is a continuously even surface as opposed to running outside which has shifts in the angles of the surface on which you're running. The continuously even surface could be causing an overuse/repetitive injury. A remedy would be to spend some time walking on tiptoes, heels, etc. to change up the muscles being used.
  • beth0277
    Options
    So I work at a hospital and coincidentally had one of the personal trainers from our fitness center on my floor so I asked him. He said it is my solis muscle (probably spelled wrong, haven't had time to google). He said running on a treadmill can cause this pain if someone like me has a weak, inflamed, etc, solis muscle. He pushed on it and sure enough, it hurt like he said it would if that was the problem. Probably attributed to my wearing of high heels all day most days. He is going to teach me some stretches to help. He also said to incline to a 1 as running on a treadmill can be similar on the shins as running downhill, which can be really bad for someone with solis pain.

I just wanted to update y'all. You had some great suggestions and a lot that went along with what he was saying. Just wanted to update in case anyone comes across this with similar issues.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    So I work at a hospital and coincidentally had one of the personal trainers from our fitness center on my floor so I asked him. He said it is my solis muscle (probably spelled wrong, haven't had time to google). He said running on a treadmill can cause this pain if someone like me has a weak, inflamed, etc, solis muscle. He pushed on it and sure enough, it hurt like he said it would if that was the problem. Probably attributed to my wearing of high heels all day most days. He is going to teach me some stretches to help. He also said to incline to a 1 as running on a treadmill can be similar on the shins as running downhill, which can be really bad for someone with solis pain.

I just wanted to update y'all. You had some great suggestions and a lot that went along with what he was saying. Just wanted to update in case anyone comes across this with similar issues.
    Thanks for the update! I'm glad you were able to figure it out and that I learned something new today! I run on the treadmill occasionally when the weather is super hot (106°F here yesterday) and I can't get out before the sun comes up. I usually have it set for a 1% incline. This is a great reason to keep doing just that.