So much broccoli and no clue how to use it

Options

Replies

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Cheddar broccoli soup? Delicious, and can be tweaked to be lower in calories than it usually is. :)
  • MiuNya
    MiuNya Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I usually cut it up finely and then add a bit of sesame oil and organic stir fry seasoning. Pop it in the oven for a while until its nice and crispy, It goes lovely with crispy bacon bits if you wanna add something extra ;)
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    there is never too much broccoli (at least in my kitchen)

BTW broccoli on pizza is almost as good as eggplant on pizza
  • ShaunyBizzar
    Options
    I just made a very easy soup with broccoli.

Fill a pan, boil it.
    Drain a little water out so it's below the top of the veg.
    Blitz it with a hand blender until smooth.
    Crumble 100g of blue cheese into soup.
    Gently heat on hob and stir until cheese has melted in.

Add salt/pepper to season and your done.

I hate blue cheese but it's bangin in this soup. You can also add finely chopped onions, celery etc. Just experiment. :)

If it's too thick for ya just add a little water.
  • emjohnston2014
    Options
    All of these recipies sound lovely!!! Unfortuntaly im lactose intolerent so no cheese :( and i have nut allergies :(
  • karenneuls
    Options
    Bake it in the oven with a little olive oil, garlic salt pepper and top with a little Parmesan cheese when it comes out. It is delicious.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Buy the bag of frozen mandarin chicken from Trader Joe's. Cook the chicken as directed while you lightly steam the broccoli. Mix in the broccoli with the chicken (if you feel like you need extra sauce, a bottle of the Panda Express orange chicken sauce pairs very well). Serve over rice (I add a teeny bit of rice vinegar and a small sprinkle of salt and sugar to the water when I cook my rice) and topped with some sliced scallion and sesame seeds.
  • SquashedChocolateFrog
    Options
    I love broccoli!

You could lightly steam it, then have it with some sugar snap peas or similar with a soy sauce and garlic dressing type thing - it's really nice with pine or cashew nuts as a salad, but if you're allergic to them, obviously that won't work.

I love it in a good stirfry - a mix of reduced salt soy sauce, lemon juice and a smidgen of oyster sauce is one of my go tos, with perhaps some garlic thrown in - really nice with some lean beef strips or chicken.

Roasted broccoli is yummy too - again lemon juice is really good over it, goes really well with a plate of salmon.

Good luck getting through it all!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    All of these recipies sound lovely!!! Unfortuntaly im lactose intolerent so no cheese :( and i have nut allergies :(

I am also lactose intolerant. Never stopped me! I just stay home so I can poop whenever I need to.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    This is a really good recipe, too:
    http://www.food.com/recipe/the-best-easy-beef-and-broccoli-stir-fry-99476

Besides that and the mandarin chicken suggestion, I never use broccoli in an official recipe except for broccoli cheese soup, which you said you can't have :sad: . Other than that, I either just steam it and add a bit of butter (how my kids prefer it) or I toss it with olive oil and salt and pepper and roast in the oven and then toss with a bit of fresh lemon juice at the end (how I prefer it).
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    This recipe uses broccoli rabe but I've used regular broccoli as well: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2014/06/broccoli-rabe-turkey-burgers.html

I make this all the time without the potato. IT IS SOOOO GOOD! And very easy! : http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/12/broccoli-cheese-and-potato-soup.html
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    You can freeze it, and use it as you normally would.
    http://www.pickyourown.org/freezing_broccoli.htm
  • deearess
    deearess Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I don't typically like cooked broccoli and I love this
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1948361 (40 clove broccoli and chickpeas - really only has 10 garlic cloves though)
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Brocolli Pesto!

Blanch in boiling water for one minute. drain, add to blender with 15mls of good olive oil and a handful of toasted pine nuts, some fresh green herbs a crushed clove of garlic and a little kosher salt. Want some heat? - half a green chili.

Whizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Wonderful with raw veggie strips or toasted pitta.
  • teenie_71
    teenie_71 Posts: 44
    Options
    how about a brocolli quiche? Its quick and easy and delicious
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    For a twist to the steamed broccoli, toss orange or lemon peels into the water and the flavor steeps up into the broccoli changing the flavor just enough to fool the mind into it being different.

Stir fry is a great idea and if you need a "sauce" try adding orange juice and balsamic vinegar to the dish. I usually add this just before turning off the heat.

Grilled broccoli is pretty fantastic too, I put it on skewers brush with EVOO and balsamic and flip it a few times, great with mushrooms, eggplant or summer squash too, add some sliced carrots and voila a bright and cheery side dish.
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Broccoli salad. Broccoli, cubed and/or shredded cheese, bacon bits, sunflower seeds and ranch dressing all mixed together.
  • emjohnston2014
    Options
    lol yeah i just avoid it / buy lactose free products. Im also celiac, have a peanut,tree nut and shellfish allergy
  • missemmibelle
    missemmibelle Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Lucky you.

My husband brought home two 10lb bags of onions.