Resting and Exercise Heart Rate higher than "normal"

Options
About me:
Female, 30, 190 lbs, exercise several times a week otherwise fairly sedentary (student) but I watch my caloric intake, drink a lot of water, and eat mostly veggies. Don't look at my diary- I mostly calculate in a written journal and only log MFP from my phone when I'm being bad and eating bad things, to keep myself in line on the go.

I got a heart rate monitor, and was excited to closely monitor what my heart rate is during exercises, because the machines at the my school's gym always gave me numbers that seemed a little high. I get readings on the elliptical, for instance, in the 170s regularly, that's where my rate is at when I feel like I'm working, but sometimes I get into the 190s not paying attention or to the beat of a fast song, and I sometimes get lightheaded from that. I've trusted the readings on the machines so far because I go to a medical college with top of the line equipment (they do a lot of rehab and such for patients in here), and the numbers seem consistent from machine to machine, just judging by my own intensity/feeling of working hard or not.

With my heart rate monitor, I'm getting the same high numbers during workouts. Additionally, my resting heart rate is between 90 and 120, frequently at around 110.

I know everyone is different. Could this just be normal for me?

Replies

• lstockham39
    lstockham39 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    No reply, just bumping this cuz I too am interested in others' responses. :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You didn't mention how long you've been exercising for or your height - your current fitness level may explain the higher than average heart rate and, if that's the cause, you should start seeing it come down over time.

It could also be genetic.

If it's a concern it would be wise to have a conversation with your doctor about it.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Mine just runs high genetically. The '220 minus age' thing doesn't work for a lot of us, to estimate our max heart rate. I don't think we burn more calories than people with lower max heart rates but the HRM is just an estimate so it's probably as good as any.
  • ChristyB1117
    ChristyB1117 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Have you been to the Dr. for a workup recently? I had a very high resting heart rate back in the my early 20s - when I was first diagnosed with hypertension when I was at my heaviest. I would recommend going in for a full physical, just to make sure there isn't a reason why your heart is working so hard.
  • Areneholmes
    Areneholmes Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
    I haven't had a physical recently.
    I've been exercising seriously since the beginning of the year, with a few small breaks. I've lost about 25 lbs. I have high stamina when it comes to cardio- I can stay on the elliptical or bike forever, so I've been doing 12 mile trails on my bike, no problem.
    I think my fitness level is average, but that I have a high tolerance for pain. :)

I'll look into getting a physical.
    I checked my heart rate last night a few times while in bed, and it went to normal. It only seems above average when I'm up, even if I'm not moving much.
    Thanks for the feedback! :) I feel better about it now.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    My resting hr is about 50 and max hr is about 180.

Seeing as how on your profile you look young .. I would get this checked out by a doctor. Better safe than sorry applies here.
  • kimpar2
    kimpar2 Posts: 8
    Options
    My resting is around 60, I have to walk pretty quick to generate 90, and run to generate 120. I would look for medical opinions on such a high resting heart rate.
  • linsdog
    linsdog Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Does your heart rate monitor have a chest strap? Or what type is it?

If chest strap, are you using gel or some other conductor when not exercising?

Readings can be way off without sweat produced when exercising....try checking your pulse manually at rest. The exercise readings don's sounds too far off if you are working hard.
  • gretamauldin
    Options
    Could just be genetics. My mom and I both have higher heart rates than most people. My exercise HR gets up to 150 sometimes, and I'm not even sweating. I have to get up to about 160 to actually break a sweat sometimes LOL. If you're concerned, ask your doctor, but I don't think it's anything to be alarmed about.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    See a doctor. If you get lightheaded when your heart rate is high this could potentially be serious even though nothing bad has happened yet. (Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy?)
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Could just be genetics. My mom and I both have higher heart rates than most people. My exercise HR gets up to 150 sometimes, and I'm not even sweating. I have to get up to about 160 to actually break a sweat sometimes LOL. If you're concerned, ask your doctor, but I don't think it's anything to be alarmed about.

Same here. My heart rate goes up to 170 sometimes and my resting heart rate is a bit high. At my heaviest, my heart rate was in the 90s resting. Now that I've gotten more fit, it's in the 70s,
  • 9ofCoins
    9ofCoins Posts: 9
    Options
    mine is like that also, 85-95 resting, 120-130 after a good workout.

I've had cancer twice in the last three years, so brought it up with my oncologist yesterday,
    He said it isn't uncommon, my blood pressure in in the normal range, and not to worry about it (I'm 60)

With that from an expert :) I deemed it was safe to look it up on the web.
    One thing that can cause it is exposure to mercury so if you are eating tuna more than once a week back off on that.

But the interesting thing in mercury exposure, is when I was a kid my aunt and I broke a thermometer and played with the mercury for weeks. absolutely fascinating stuff :) So maybe mine comes from that.

Keep up the good work, you are doing GREAT!

edited to add 5.1" 154 lbs. My goal is a good bmi weight.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Mine was higher when I was heavier, but it's gone down to normal now that I've gotten smaller and have started running and lifting. My resting heart rate used to be in the 90's, but now it's in the 60s. 75 is the "normal" number for a woman of my age.

That said, you should see a doctor. Also, you might be able to pair your HRM with your treadmill/ cardio machine and have it slow down when you get too high. Or maybe your HRM has an alarm?
  • moni6645
    moni6645 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My resting heart rate is usually in the 80's and jumps to 100's just by walking. I would say it's an individual thing :)

Don't worry too much hun, you're doing great!